about Annotea Server specifications.

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

about Annotea Server specifications.

Seno Akira
Hello,www-annotation members.
I'm looking for strict Annotea server specification.
As trying to implement annotea server,I read "Annotea Prtocols",but I
cannot figure out whole of requests sent by client and replies shoud
be returned for them ,e.g. server should interpret requests about
bookmark ,some query languages like RDQL or SPARQL ,etc.

I think that my implementation should be able to support all features
which supported by the server on http://annotest.w3.org/annotations.
But, I could not find documents which tell about strict server
specifications on annotea still now.

I want to know strict specifications or server implementation policy
about annotest.w3.org/annotations.
Please tell or suggest me about annotea server specifications.

thank you.


Akira SENO


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: about Annotea Server specifications.

Urs Holzer
Hi

Seno Akira wrote:
> I'm looking for strict Annotea server specification.

Unfortunately, I guess there is no such thing.

> [...]

> I think that my implementation should be able to support all features
> which supported by the server on http://annotest.w3.org/annotations.
> But, I could not find documents which tell about strict server
> specifications on annotea still now.

In my opinion this server is outdated in some aspects.

> I want to know strict specifications or server implementation policy
> about annotest.w3.org/annotations.
> Please tell or suggest me about annotea server specifications.

Would you be willing to help in creating such a specification? If I
remember correctly someone else asked a lot of questions on this list,
but this is some time ago. These questions never got answered. I think
the first thing we should do is to try to answer them. I will look for
them and present my personal answers if I find time to do that.

Greetings
Urs


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: about Annotea Server specifications.

Stephen Crawley-2
In reply to this post by Seno Akira
Seno Akira wrote:
> Hello,www-annotation members.
> I'm looking for strict Annotea server specification.
> As trying to implement annotea server,I read "Annotea Prtocols",but I
> cannot figure out whole of requests sent by client and replies shoud
> be returned for them ,e.g. server should interpret requests about
> bookmark ,some query languages like RDQL or SPARQL ,etc.
>
>  
You are correct.  The "Annotea Protocols" document is not a proper
specification.  If you look through the recent postings on this list,
you will see a number of messages from me that point out "holes" in the
document; i.e. points where the document does not adequately describe
the required behaviour of an Annotea server (and client).  Those
messages are based on what I learned in implementing "Danno".

What Urs said is also true.  The document is "out of date" in the sense
that we want to use Annotea to do far more than the "Annotea Protocols"
document envisages.  Support for the bookmarks schemas, SPARQL queries
and so on are some of the examples.
> I think that my implementation should be able to support all features
> which supported by the server on http://annotest.w3.org/annotations.
> But, I could not find documents which tell about strict server
> specifications on annotea still now.
>  
There are none.
> I want to know strict specifications or server implementation policy
> about annotest.w3.org/annotations.
>  
Again, there are none.  Actually, it is worse than that.  The "annotest"
server is known to NOT correctly implement the protocols as described in
the Annotea Protocols document.  IIRC, annotest requires an incorrect
query name to fetch replies to an annotation, and it uses the DC 1.0
namespace rather than DC1.1 which is used in the examples in the Annotea
Protocols document.  (And there may be other issues too.)
> Please tell or suggest me about annotea server specifications.
>  
The best I can suggest is to read the Annotea Pro carefully, read my
messages (and others) on this list, and try to figure out something that
works for your particular use-case.  Also, if you care about
interoperability with other people's clients and/or servers, test your
clients against their servers and vice-versa.  I'd pay most attention to
client/server implementations that people are actively working on.  For
example Annozilla and Danno/Dannotate.  Finally, you can always ask
questions on this mailing list :-)

-- Steve