XQuery static typing rules

Bill Patton

Dear Sirs:

Should the XQuery test suite pass the static typing rules defined in the
formal semantics document?  If the answer is no, then an implementation which
supports static typing will not be able to pass the test suite.

A related question is, should the XQuery use cases pass static type checking?
 Both the Use Case and XQTS documents are silent on the topic of static type
checking.

Checking the alignment of XQTS static typing results with the FS document
offers several benefits:

1) A set of well typed test cases can be identified as a reference.
2) Errors and omissions in the FS document can be identified.
3) The strictness of the FS typing rules can be studied and adjusted.

Note that it is easy to pass the test cases devoted explicitly to static
typing. The greater challenge (and better test of static typing) may be
successfully type checking the rest of the test cases.

Regards,
Bill Patton

Cognetic Systems, Inc.
2180 Satellite Blvd.
Duluth, GA 30097
(678) 533-4405
www.cogneticsystems.com

--
This message uses a temporary e-mail address to defeat spammers. For the
latest contact information please call (678) 533-4405

Re: XQuery static typing rules

David Carlisle

> Should the XQuery test suite pass the static typing rules

http://www.w3.org/XML/Query/test-suite/Guidelines%20for%20Test%20Submission.html

says:

  Submitted tests should obey the Static Typing rules, except for tests
  intended to evaluate violations of the Static Typing rules.

So that would imply the answer to the question as written is "yes"
(unless WG supplied tests are not "submitted" in this sense)

I think many of the existing tests don't follow that guideline though,
I'm not sure if that implies that the test or the guideline should be
changed.

David

Re: XQuery static typing rules

Andrew Eisenberg-2

> I think many of the existing tests don't follow that guideline though,
> I'm not sure if that implies that the test or the guideline should be
> changed.

Yes, this is exactly the issue that we are discussing within the XML Query WG right now.

                                                -- Andrew

--------------------
Andrew Eisenberg
IBM