XML vs SQL database when creating a Web site

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XML vs SQL database when creating a Web site

Jérome Macheras
Hi,
 
I have implemented a script in php (by using free XML API) to generate a site in html by using XML files. I processed like that for 2 reasons :

1) to avoid multiple acces to an SQL database,
2) to improve the productivity of the creation of document.
 
Documents are described by theirs name, creation date, and various contents such as text area and pictures.

The first question i have is did i made a good choice concerning the way of generate my website ?

The second one is is there a way to 'simply' develop a search engine based for instance on the Semantic Web ?
 
Thanks in advance,
Jerome Macheras.
mail : [hidden email]
Site : http://www.mes-biographies.com

 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicités
http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: web site creation in XML

G. Ken Holman

At 2007-01-03 15:16 +0000, Jérome Macheras wrote:
>I have implemented a script in php (by using
>free XML API) to generate a site in html by using XML files.

Kewl!  Though I'm curious why you chose PHP.

Our web site (linked in my trailer below) is
described in XML, authored in XML using a
combination of XHTML and a custom vocabulary,
produced using XSLT (converting the XHTML and
custom vocabulary into pure HTML), and
orchestrated and uploaded using a synthesized Ant
script.  The Ant is created by running XSLT against the XML site map.

>I processed like that for 2 reasons :
>
>1) to avoid multiple acces to an SQL database,
>2) to improve the productivity of the creation of document.
>
>Documents are described by theirs name, creation
>date, and various contents such as text area and pictures.

You might also consider doing headings and meta
data using a custom vocabulary and translating
that with your script into HTML.  This will give
you a consistent look and feel across the web site.

I've taken extra advantage of the meta data in my
custom vocabulary to create two separate RSS
feeds, one for our training offerings and one for our free developer resources.

>The first question i have is did i made a good
>choice concerning the way of generate my website ?

I totally agree with your choice of describing
your web site ... your choice of generating it
with PHP is your choice not mine, but that isn't
a criticism of your approach.  By describing your
web site in XML you gain consistency of
presentation.  On our web site you'll see the same marginalia on all pages.

My automation using a synthesized Ant script for
every update ensures I miss nothing after
spending hours changing pages all over my web
site on my local copy, and then pressing the
button and walking away to only regenerate and
FTP upload those pages that have changed.

>The second one is is there a way to 'simply'
>develop a search engine based for instance on the Semantic Web ?

I'm sorry I cannot comment on that ... this is
not something I've felt to be important for my site.

I hope this is helpful.

. . . . . . . . . . Ken

--
World-wide corporate, govt. & user group XML, XSL and UBL training
RSS feeds:     publicly-available developer resources and training
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:[hidden email]
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0    +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc
Legal business disclaimers:  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: web site creation in XML

Jérome Macheras
Hi,
 
    Thank Mr G. Ken Holman.
 
> Our web site (linked in my trailer below) is
> described in XML, authored in XML using a
> combination of XHTML and a custom vocabulary,
> produced using XSLT (converting the XHTML and
> custom vocabulary into pure HTML), and
> orchestrated and uploaded using a synthesized Ant
> script.  The Ant is created by running XSLT against the XML site map.
 
The use of php was perhaps a "young mistake". Because I have not yet much xml file for my Website ( < 300) I think that i am going to investigate on the XSLT / XHTML in order to do use the best practices.

> My automation using a synthesized Ant script for
> every update ensures I miss nothing after
> spending hours changing pages all over my web
> site on my local copy, and then pressing the
> button and walking away to only regenerate and
> FTP upload those pages that have changed.
It is a point i did not include in my PHP script (nb :just update the changed files)...but it is never too late to do the best !

> I hope this is helpful.
Yes ! definetly. Thanks.
Regards,
 
Jerome Macheras.
 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicités
http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail