Quantcast

XML Schema for XLink 1.1

Threaded

XML Schema for XLink 1.1

Simon.Cox
Sorry if this is a late comment, but I've only just become aware of the issue.

The 2008-03-31 Working Draft for XLink 1.1 includes a (non-normative) XML Schema for Xlink.
This is a good thing, long overdue!
We note that it is based on the OASIS XBRL schema.

The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) has been using XLink as part of Geography Markup Language (GML) since 2001.
We also developed an XLink schema - see http://schemas.opengis.net/xlink/1.0.0/xlinks.xsd
This was always intended as a stop-gap, pending the availability of a (preferably normative ...) schema from W3C.
So we are very pleased to see this appear, and also hope that it will be posted as separate artefact in a repository.

There is one concern however: the OGC XLink schema includes the attribute groups proposed in the original XLink specification
(simpleLink, extendedLink, locatorLink, etc) and which are still shown as ATTLISTs in the DTD fragments in the draft spec.
XLinks are incorporated into GML through a reference to the simpleLink group - see http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.2.1/gmlBase.xsd.

We note that these attribute groups do not appear in the the proposed schema.

Would it be possible for these attribute groups to be added to the proposed schema?
This would allow OGC to transition to using the W3C schema without any changes.
AFAICT it would have no negative impacts on the proposed schema.

Simon Cox
(co-editor GML 2, GML 3)

______
[hidden email]  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151
PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102  AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (0)8 6436 8639  Cell: +61 (0) 403 302 672
Polycom PVX: 130.116.146.28
<http://www.csiro.au>

ABN: 41 687 119 230

Threaded

Re: XML Schema for XLink 1.1

Henry S. Thompson

Threaded

RE: XML Schema for XLink 1.1

Simon.Cox

Thanks Henry -
To change the xs:schemaLocation value, we will have to issue a new version of the schema anyway.
But this adds another change that may impact on whether we can adopt the W3C schema in a minor version or it has to wait for a major version.

Simon Cox

______