XML Query Languages

konmpek

I have my final project in my university,and i have to find and compare all the
xml query languages.I have focused until now at Lorel, XML-QL, XQL, XML-GL ,
XQuery and XSLT.
Are there any other languages to search?
Does the most of these language (like xml-ql,xql and xml-gl) work nowadays?
XDuce is also a usable language?
Thank you,
kostas

Re: XML Query Languages

Jonathan Robie-2

XSLT and XQuery are in very active use, and are very widely implemented.
XQL is a precursor to XPath, and the inventors of XQL and XML-QL put
their later efforts into XQuery, which is the language they now endorse.
I don't know how active Lorel or XML-GL are.

Also of interest are extensions to existing languages to support various
subsets of XQuery, such as Microsoft's LINQ and IBM's XJ.

Jonathan

[hidden email] wrote:

> I have my final project in my university,and i have to find and compare all the
> xml query languages.I have focused until now at Lorel, XML-QL, XQL, XML-GL ,
> XQuery and XSLT.
> Are there any other languages to search?
> Does the most of these language (like xml-ql,xql and xml-gl) work nowadays?
> XDuce is also a usable language?
> Thank you,
> kostas

Re: XML Query Languages

Alessandro Campi

> Does the most of these language (like xml-ql,xql and xml-gl) work
> nowadays?

XML-GL is currently evolved in XQBE (XQuery By Example).
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1071610.1071613

Alex

Re: XML Query Languages

Keulen, M. van (Maurice)

Interesting is also XDuce which is a typed functional programming
language that is specifically designed for processing XML data.
Maurice van Keulen.

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> XSLT and XQuery are in very active use, and are very widely
> implemented. XQL is a precursor to XPath, and the inventors of XQL and
> XML-QL put their later efforts into XQuery, which is the language they
> now endorse. I don't know how active Lorel or XML-GL are.
>
> Also of interest are extensions to existing languages to support
> various subsets of XQuery, such as Microsoft's LINQ and IBM's XJ.
>
> Jonathan
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> I have my final project in my university,and i have to find and
>> compare all the
>> xml query languages.I have focused until now at Lorel, XML-QL, XQL,
>> XML-GL ,
>> XQuery and XSLT. Are there any other languages to search? Does the
>> most of these language (like xml-ql,xql and xml-gl) work nowadays?
>> XDuce is also a usable language? Thank you,
>> kostas

>> This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/

Dr.Ir. M. van Keulen - Assistant Professor, Data Management Technology
Univ. of Twente, Dept of EEMCS, POBox 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands
Email: [hidden email], Phone: +31 534893688, Fax: +31 534892927
Room: ZI 3039, WWW: http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~keulen

Re: XML Query Languages

ray denenberg

From: <[hidden email]>
> I have my final project in my university,and i have to find and compare
all the
> xml query languages.I have focused until now at Lorel, XML-QL, XQL, XML-GL
,
> XQuery and XSLT.
> Are there any other languages to search?

Don't forget CQL, "Contextual Query Language".
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/cql/index.html

(It's "Common Query Language" in version 1.1 but renamed "contextual" in
1.2, a preview of which is available at:
http://www.loc.gov:8081/standards/sru/specs/cql.html)

Ray Denenberg
Library of Congress

Re: XML Query Languages

Meredith Gregory
Maurice,

If you're going to mention XDuce, we should also mention CDuce and OCamlDuce.

Best wishes,

--greg

--
L.G. Meredith