XHTML and XML on the Web

Karl Dubost

A discussion has been raised on the ML with the argument that XML was
not a success on the Web.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2006Aug/0015

The assertion could be true or completely wrong depending on how you
define the Web, but it got me to look a bit further.

I found that an article about Government Web sites in China, and the
tester found that none of them was actually valid.

[[[
The validation result

The validation result details shows that none of the tested sites use
valid HTML. More worrying is that only one site is using headings. A
common problem with the tested sites is that encoding has been used
incorrectly.
]]]

-- Government Web Standards Usage: People's Republic of China -
Standards-schmandards
http://www.standards-schmandards.com/index.php?2006/02/26/35-gvmt-
standards-prc
Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:33:16 GMT

The author reminds also that

[[[
Although tests of other countries have shown similar results (USA:
2.4%, New Zealand: 5.7%) having no valid sites indicates the absence
of a central policy for government web communication.
]]]

-- Government Web Standards Usage: People's Republic of China -
Standards-schmandards
http://www.standards-schmandards.com/index.php?2006/02/26/35-gvmt-
standards-prc
Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:33:16 GMT

Björn Hörmann reminded me of the article of Mark Pilgrim
"XML on the Web Has Failed"
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/07/21/dive.html

which concludes by saying that 90% (being only a part of XML) of
*feeds* were not XML. I don't want to draw a conclusion, but that 10%
are actually XML.

Does that mean that XML does in fact better than HTML on the "Web"?

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***

Re: XHTML and XML on the Web

Mark Baker

On 8/4/06, Karl Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does that mean that XML does in fact better than HTML on the "Web"?

Nice try 8-)

In fact, the set of documents that the Web thinks is HTML is
significantly larger than what the validators would lead you to
believe.  The problem is that the validators don't reflect reality
because the HTML spec hasn't been revised to reflect concensus in the
browsers.

Mark.