[XHR][HTML5] Clarification for interaction between HTML5 section "5.6 Offline Web applications" and XMLHttpRequest

[XHR][HTML5] Clarification for interaction between HTML5 section "5.6 Offline Web applications" and XMLHttpRequest

"Röckelein, Wolfgang, SEVEN PRINCIPLES"

Hi,

we think the following interaction between HTML5 section "5.6 Offline Web applications" and XMLHttpRequest needs a clarification:

When doing a XMLHttpRequest GET request with a request URL which is for a host for which a cache host exists which has an application cache with completeness flag set to complete associated which contains  a master entry, an explicit entry or a fallback entry for the request URL, should the XMLHttpRequest get the entry from the cache or fetch the resource normally or fail with a network error?

Use cases are eg dynamically loading javascript files or dynamically loading HTML files to use them in a DOM replacement operation which displays a smooth transition (eg jQuery Mobile does this if not instructed otherwise).

Browsers currently implement this differently.

Regards,

  Wolfgang Röckelein

---

7P B2B Mobile & IT Services GmbH

Balcke-Dürr-Allee 9

40882 Ratingen, Germany

und

Walter-Gropius-Straße 15

80807 München, Germany

Web: <a href="blocked::blocked::http://www.7p-group.com/" title="http://www.7p-group.com/">http://www.7p-group.com
Phone:   +49 (0) 2102 557 473
Fax:     +49 (0) 2102 557 402

Mobile:  +49 (0) 162 73 67 674

Email: [hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln
Amtsgericht: Köln; Handelsregister: HRB 65133
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Schäfer, Jens Harig
USt-ID-Nr.: DE190667510
Steuer-Nr.: 103/5700/0899

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual or entity as the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution, any copying of this message in part or in whole, or any taking of action based on it, is strictly prohibited by law and may cause liability. In case you have received this message due to an error in transmission, we ask you to notify the sender immediately.

Re: [XHR][HTML5] Clarification for interaction between HTML5 section "5.6 Offline Web applications" and XMLHttpRequest

Ian Hickson
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, "R�ckelein, Wolfgang, SEVEN PRINCIPLES" wrote:

> When doing a XMLHttpRequest GET request with a request URL which is for
> a host for which a cache host exists which has an application cache with
> completeness flag set to complete associated which contains a master
> entry, an explicit entry or a fallback entry for the request URL, should
> the XMLHttpRequest get the entry from the cache or fetch the resource
> normally or fail with a network error?

The only times requests come from an appcache are:

 - when navigating, which doesn't apply here, and
 - when the appcache in question is the same appcache as the page's own
   appcache.

You never get one appcache fetching from another.

XMLHttpRequest is treated the same as any other non-navigating way of
obtaining a resource from the network or cache.

Does that answer your question?