XForms in HTML Example will not validate

XForms in HTML Example will not validate

Robert C. Leif

Dear Editor,

I tried to make The example in Section H (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-xforms-20091020/#xforms-in-xhtml-00) and the downloadable example (attached) work with both XMLSpy and OxYgen. OxYgen employs a special declaration for XForms that includes Relax NG code. <?oxygen NVDLSchema="xhtml-xforms.nvdl"?>. This does not appear to be portable. In short,  I would like to be able to use my CytometryML schemas with XForms including being able to have type checking active. Since the CytometryML schemas are proposed to be part of a standard, these schemas will be available without charge.  I believe that the  link to the XForms 1.1, W3C Recommendation 20 October 2009 should provide a complete working example. I have attached the XForm and schema that I copied from the Recommendation. I also tested the XForm with the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> declaration removed. It produced similar errors.  Since html does not include XForms, the errors appear to be correct.  I have tested some approaches that appear to interfere with html’s schema validating elements from other namespaces. However, they did not work either.

Thank you.

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.

Vice President

Newport Instruments

5648 Toyon Road

San Diego, CA 92115

Tel. (619)582-0437

Email [hidden email]

Web : www.newportinstruments.com

“ Complete XForms Examples (Non-Normative)

This section presents complete XForms examples. These and additional examples are maintained at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2002/Examples.

H.1 XForms in XHTML.”

XMLSpy error message:

File F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test.html is not valid.

                Element 'html' has no declaration for an attribute named 'xmlns:xf'.

                                Error location: html / @xmlns:xf

                                Details

                                                VC: Attribute Value Type: Element 'html' has no declaration for an attribute named 'xmlns:xf'.

OYgen 11 Editor error messages:

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 2:7

End location: 2:53

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 2:54

End location: 2:98

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 3:3

End location: 3:47

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 3:48

End location: 3:92

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 8:6

End location: 8:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 9:8

End location: 9:23

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 10:10

End location: 10:20

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 11:12

End location: 11:17

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 15:8

End location: 15:25

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 16:8

End location: 16:19

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 17:8

End location: 17:19

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Description: Unexpected element "xforms:model". The content of the parent element type must match "((script|style|meta|link|object)*,((title,(script|style|meta|link|object)*,(base,(script|style|meta|link|object)*)?)|(base,(script|style|meta|link|object)*,(title,(script|style|meta|link|object)*))))".

Start location: 8:6

End location: 8:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 21:6

End location: 21:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 22:8

End location: 22:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 24:10

End location: 24:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 25:10

End location: 25:16

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 27:8

End location: 27:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 28:10

End location: 28:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 29:10

End location: 29:16

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Description: Unexpected element "xforms:group". The content of the parent element type must match "(p|h1|h2|h3|h4|h5|h6|div|ul|ol|dl|pre|hr|blockquote|address|fieldset|table|form|noscript|ins|del|script)*".

Start location: 21:6

End location: 21:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 34:6

End location: 34:12

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 35:8

End location: 35:12

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 36:10

End location: 36:17

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 37:12

End location: 37:24

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 38:12

End location: 38:19

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 39:14

End location: 39:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 40:16

End location: 40:28

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 41:16

End location: 41:21

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 43:16

End location: 43:23

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 46:14

End location: 46:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 47:16

End location: 47:28

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 48:16

End location: 48:21

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 54:10

End location: 54:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 55:12

End location: 55:24

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 56:12

End location: 56:17

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 60:10

End location: 60:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 62:12

End location: 62:24

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 65:10

End location: 65:16

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 66:12

End location: 66:24

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 69:8

End location: 69:12

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 71:10

End location: 71:17

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 72:12

End location: 72:24

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 73:12

End location: 73:19

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 74:14

End location: 74:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 75:16

End location: 75:28

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 76:16

End location: 76:21

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 77:16

End location: 77:23

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 80:14

End location: 80:18

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 81:16

End location: 81:28

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 82:16

End location: 82:21

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 88:10

End location: 88:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 89:12

End location: 89:24

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 90:12

End location: 90:17

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 94:10

End location: 94:22

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 95:12

End location: 95:24

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 99:10

End location: 99:16

SystemID: F:\XForms\XForms_XHTML\xforms_test_xf.html

Engine name: Xerces

Severity: error

Start location: 100:12

End location: 100:24

xforms_test_xf.html (3K) Download Attachment
payment.xml (1K) Download Attachment

Re: XForms in HTML Example will not validate

John Boyer

Hi Robert,

The working group discussed the concern you raised today and has asked me to provide the following response:

XForms is designed to be a module that can be hosted by multiple host presentation languages (including multiple host languages being used simultaneously). XForms provides a rich array of XML data interaction and server connectivity capabilities to host languages. In an informative appendix (H), we provide an example using XHTML as the host language.  Validation of XForms in combination with any host language requires a schema that combines XForms with that host language.  In the immediate term, you would need to do that in order for you to validate your documents. However, for greater convenience to the community in the future, the working group is taking action to define a working group note that specifically targets validation of XHTML with XForms, and the working group is also working on getting this profile added to the W3C validator.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer
Blog RSS feed:

From: "Robert C. Leif" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 11/17/2009 03:02 AM
Subject: XForms in HTML Example will not validate

[...]

End location: 100:24[attachment "xforms_test_xf.html" deleted by John Boyer/CanWest/IBM] [attachment "payment.xml" deleted by John Boyer/CanWest/IBM]