WebDAV SEARCH approved as Proposed Standard, was: Protocol Action: 'Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) SEARCH' to Proposed Standard

WebDAV SEARCH approved as Proposed Standard, was: Protocol Action: 'Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) SEARCH' to Proposed Standard

Julian Reschke

(FYI)

The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has approved the following document:
>
> - 'Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) SEARCH '
>    <draft-reschke-webdav-search-18.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
> This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
> IETF Working Group.
>
> The IESG contact person is Chris Newman.
>
> A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-search-18.txt
>
> Technical Summary
>
>    This document specifies a set of methods, headers and properties
>    composing WebDAV SEARCH, an application of the HTTP/1.1 protocol
>    to efficiently search for DAV resources based upon a set of
>    client-supplied criteria.
>
> Working Group Summary
>
>    This was the product of an individual submittor.  However, it is
>    based on a draft developed by the concluded DASL WG and technical
>    discussions have occured on the DASL mailing list.  Some issues that
>    were discussed as candidates for the base specification are covered
>    in Appendix B and are believed suitable for future protocol
>    extensions.  There was some discussion of whether query schema
>    discovery should be mandatory or optional, there is believed to be
>    community rough consensus to keep it an optional feature.
>
> Document Quality
>
>    The framework defined in SEARCH (method, grammar discover via
>    OPTIONS, response format) is supported at least in six
>    implementations of which four support the DAV:basicsearch grammar and
>    the other two expose only custom grammars.  There has been at least
>    one proposal for an additional documented query language
>    (draft-godoy-webdav-xmlsearch).
>
> Personnel
>
>    The responsible area director is Chris Newman who reviewed this
>    specification in detail.  The specification was also reviewed by
>    multiple participants of the [hidden email] mailing list
>    (formerly used by the DASL WG) as well as the [hidden email]
>    (formerly WebDAV WG).  During IETF last call, support was
>    expressed by Tobias Schlauch and Javier Godoy on the IETF list.
>    Additional review comments were provided by John Barone and Cyrus
>    Daboo on the webdav lists during last call.  Gonzalo Camarillo
>    was the GEN-ART reviewer, Radia Perlman was the sec-dir reviewer.

Last minute changes to WebDAV SEARCH, was: WebDAV SEARCH approved as Proposed Standard

Julian Reschke

Hi,

I've been working with the RFC Editor on the publication of this
specification, and some disagreements surfaced with respect how to cite
historic Internet Drafts, and what type of URLs are (or should be)
acceptable in an RFC. People interested in the discussion itself may
want to read the archives of the rfc-interest mailing list (starting
with
<http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2008-October/000888.html>).

To get the issue resolved, I have moved the historic references to the
Contributors section, and changed the document URLs to use purl.org as
indirection mechanism (the RFC Editor was concerned with the stability
of URLs on www.webdav.org...).

So Section 1.1 now starts with:

1.1.  DASL

    This document defines Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning
    (WebDAV) SEARCH, an application of HTTP/1.1 forming a lightweight
    search protocol to transport queries and result sets that allows
    clients to make use of server-side search facilities.  It is based on
    earlier work done in the IETF DASL Working Group (see Section 10).
    In this specification, the terms "WebDAV SEARCH" and "DASL" are used
    interchangeably. --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html#rfc.section.1.1>,

and the Contributors Section now reads:

10.  Contributors

    This document is based on prior work on the DASL protocol done by the
    WebDAV DASL working group until the year 2000 -- namely by Alan
    Babich, Jim Davis, Rick Henderson, Dale Lowry, Saveen Reddy, Surendra
    Reddy, and Judith Slein (see <http://www.webdav.org/dasl/> for the
    working group's web site,
    <http://purl.org/NET/webdav/dasl-references/reqs> for a requirements
    document, and
    <http://purl.org/NET/webdav/dasl-references/dasl-protocol-00> for an
    early version of the specification). --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html#rfc.section.10>

If somebody feels this change is not ok, or need to get re-reviewed by
the community, please speak up soon.

Best regards, Julian