WebDAV SEARCH Last Call over

Julian Reschke

Hi,

the IETF Last Call for WebDAV SEARCH ended yesterday, and the following
points were raised:

1) some editorial nits ("SHOULD not" instead of "SHOULD NOT", an XML
namespace using a domain name not reserved for examples)

2) missing statement about safeness of SEARCH method

3) John Barone's proposal to relax the server requirement for sorting
truncated results (see thread starting at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2008JulSep/0016.html>).

I have fixed 1) and 2) in my "latest" version; here are the diffs:

-- snip --

Section 2.2., paragraph 0:
OLD:

  2.2.  The Request

NEW:

     SEARCH is a safe method; it does not have any significance other than
     executing a query and returning a query result (see [RFC2616],
     Section 9.1.1).

  2.2.  The Request

Section 5.19.9., paragraph 1:
OLD:

     <D:basicsearchschema xmlns:D="DAV:"
       <D:properties>
         <D:propdesc>
           <D:prop><D:getcontentlength/></D:prop>
           <D:datatype><xs:nonNegativeInteger/></D:datatype>
           <D:searchable/><D:selectable/><D:sortable/>
         </D:propdesc>
         <D:propdesc>
           <D:prop><D:getcontenttype/><D:displayname/></D:prop>
           <D:searchable/><D:selectable/><D:sortable/>
         </D:propdesc>
         <D:propdesc>
           <D:prop><fstop xmlns="http://jennicam.org"/></D:prop>
           <D:selectable/>
         </D:propdesc>
         <D:propdesc>
           <D:any-other-property/>
           <D:searchable/><D:selectable/>
         </D:propdesc>
       </D:properties>
       <D:operators>
         <D:opdesc>
           <D:like/><D:operand-property/><D:operand-literal/>
         </D:opdesc>
         <D:opdesc allow-pcdata="yes">
           <D:contains/>
         </D:opdesc>
       </D:operators>
     </D:basicsearchschema>

NEW:

           <D:prop><fstop xmlns="http://ns.example.org"/></D:prop>
           <D:selectable/>
         </D:propdesc>
         <D:propdesc>
           <D:any-other-property/>
           <D:searchable/><D:selectable/>
         </D:propdesc>
       </D:properties>
       <D:operators>
         <D:opdesc>
           <D:like/><D:operand-property/><D:operand-literal/>
         </D:opdesc>
         <D:opdesc allow-pcdata="yes">
           <D:contains/>
         </D:opdesc>
       </D:operators>
     </D:basicsearchschema>

Section 8., paragraph 1:
OLD:

     Query grammars are identified by URIs.  Applications SHOULD not
     attempt to retrieve these URIs even if they appear to be retrievable
     (for example, those that begin with "http://")

NEW:

     Query grammars are identified by URIs.  Applications SHOULD NOT
     attempt to retrieve these URIs even if they appear to be retrievable
     (for example, those that begin with "http://")

-- snip --

...see also
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html>
and
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest-from-previous.diff.html>.

With respect to point 3, I'm willing to follow John's proposal to relax
the MUST to a SHOULD. Feedback on this one appreciated, in particular if
somebody feels strongly about it and doesn't want it to be changed.

BR, Julian

Re: WebDAV SEARCH Last Call over

Julian Reschke

Julian Reschke wrote:
> With respect to point 3, I'm willing to follow John's proposal to relax
> the MUST to a SHOULD. Feedback on this one appreciated, in particular if
> somebody feels strongly about it and doesn't want it to be changed.

For now I have changed the text to say "SHOULD", see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html#rfc.section.5.17.1>.

In absence of other feedback I'll submit this one as draft 18 sometime
next week.

Best regards, Julian

WebDAV SEARCH draft 18 submitted, was: WebDAV SEARCH Last Call over

Julian Reschke

FYI: