Web Service

Ken Culp

As part of my teaching web development in our Computer Science program, I use my own course management system that allows student exercise uploads and display of their solutions both in the browser and in syntax highlighted fashion. I can have the program automatically fed into your validator which shows the full report. However, it would be really nice if I could just fetch back a list of errors which I could display in my system beside their solution.

Do you have or are you interested in providing a web service where a page could be passed in as a parameter and a compact error list retrieved as output? The compact list would not be a verbose as the full report but list only the error message, a line number, and a highlighted part of their source. Perhaps the output would be an HTML table?

Just a thought… Thanks for your service; it is great.

Ken Culp

Faculty, Computer Science

Northern Michigan University

Marquette, Michigan 49855

Re: Web Service

Jens Oliver Meiert
> Do you have or are you interested in providing a web service where a page
> could be passed in as a parameter and a compact error list retrieved as
> output?

Not sure I understand your full needs but I believe this is offered
through http://validator.w3.org/docs/api.html.

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/

Re: Web Service

David Dorward-3
On 9 Sep 2014, at 16:21, Ken Culp wrote:

> Do you have or are you interested in providing a web service where a
> page
> could be passed in as a parameter and a compact error list retrieved
> as
> output?

The web service is documented here:
http://validator.w3.org/docs/api.html

I tend to access it using this Perl module:
https://metacpan.org/pod/WebService::Validator::HTML::W3C

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.co.uk/