We Can't Browse w3.org Link Checker

editor@w3newspapers.com

To Whom It May Concern,

We have been using w3 validators for many years. And for that reason we are very grateful to w3.org. About last 1-2 years we were using https://validator.w3.org/checklink for our website www.w3newspapers.com. Unfortunately we cannot access w3.org for last 3-4 months. Is it possible that our IP (24.110.161.14) was blocked because of excessive use? If so, since every request we made to check links was manual, is it possible to unblock our IP, this will definitely help to improve our websites.

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

Sincerely,
Ripan Chakraborty,
Editor
www.w3newspapers.com

Re: We Can't Browse w3.org Link Checker

Michael[tm] Smith
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, 2016-08-15 22:22 -0500:

>  We have been using w3 validators for many years. And for that reason we
> are very grateful to w3.org. About last 1-2 years we were using
> https://validator.w3.org/checklink for our website www.w3newspapers.com.
> Unfortunately we cannot access w3.org for last 3-4 months.

Can you be more specific? Are you not able to access any *.w3.org websites?
You can’t access https://www.w3.org/ for example?

Or is instead that you can’t https://validator.w3.org/checklink only?

Either way, what do you see in your browser when you try to browse the
website(s) you can’t access? What error message is shown?

> Is it possible that our IP (24.110.161.14) was blocked because of
> excessive use?

It is possible but if you get blocked because of excessive use, the
blocking will stay in place for two hours. But if after that block clears,
the pattern of excessive use starts up again, then you will be re-blocked
for another two hours, and so on.

> If so, since every request we made to check links was manual, is it
> possible to unblock our IP, this will definitely help to improve our
> websites.

If you do not have some repeated pattern of excessive use originating from
your IP range, then you will just eventually be automatically unblocked.
But if instead there is a repeated pattern of excessive use, then the only
way you are going to be able to access the W3C websites you want to get it
is if you find what is causing that excessive-use pattern, and stop it.

  —Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike