WSDL enhancement request

Eric Foutz

We would like the WSDL format to support deprecation.   If I deprecate a web method in my java middleware I would like it to show up as obsolete in my .Net client.

Re: WSDL enhancement request

Arthur Ryman-2

Eric,

Sounds like an interesting idea. However I think we need to close the spec and publish it now (it's been 4 years). Your enhancement could easily be accomodated by a WSDL extension. Would you be able to draft a spec describing it?

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: [hidden email]

"Eric Foutz" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

11/07/2006 11:53 AM

<[hidden email]>
cc
Subject
WSDL enhancement request

We would like the WSDL format to support deprecation.   If I deprecate a web method in my java middleware I would like it to show up as obsolete in my .Net client.

RE: WSDL enhancement request

paul.downey

of course such an WSDL extension could be applied to WSDL 1.1 documents as well ..

RE: WSDL enhancement request

Jonathan Marsh-2

Thank you for this comment.  The Working Group this issue as a CR121 [1].

The Working Group is in the last stages of interop testing for WSDL 2.0, after 5 years in development.  At this point the Working Group is unwilling to add new functionality, despite deprecation being an interesting topic.  A future version of WSDL might accommodate this (if there is one) but in the meantime it would be possible to use WSDL extensions to describe the deprecation of an operation.

Unless you let us know otherwise by the end of January, we will assume you agree with the resolution of this issue.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/cr-issues/issues.html#CR121

We would like the WSDL format to support deprecation.   If I deprecate a web method in my java middleware I would like it to show up as obsolete in my .Net client.

RE: WSDL enhancement request

Arthur Ryman-2

I agree that this could be handled by an extension.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: [hidden email]

"Jonathan Marsh" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

01/11/2007 06:49 PM

"'Eric Foutz'" <[hidden email]>