WSC update - introductory article edited.

WSC update - introductory article edited.

Chris Mills-6
I have edited http://www.w3.org/wiki/Introduction_to_the_Web_Standards_Curriculum to improve language, bring it up to date, and change the perspective from first person to third person (it is not really me writing it on my own any more, now the article is on the wiki).

This is ready for translations now.

--

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor

* Try our browsers: http://www.opera.com
* Learn to build a better web, with the Opera web standards curriculum: http://www.opera.com/wsc
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com

Re: WSC update - introductory article edited.

Jeremie Patonnier
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on the French version of this article (I hope to finish it by tomorrow) and I figured something out that could be a concern for some people. All the articles were primarily published on Opera.com under the Creative Commons "Attribution" license (and it's clearly mentioned in the article). I wonder how is it possible to comply with such a license term on a wiki (especially if there is a huge number of editors) ? I know that Wikipedia use the same CC license but the conditions they give in their legal page to make their content reusable are just plain crap. In a strictly French legal point of view, Wikipedia content are impossible to share or reused. I know that USA (and maybe UK?) have something called "Fair use" that apply to the content we try to share here and which make it easly reusable for education and training without any legal concern, but in France and in many other country there is no such a legal agreement. So, I'm pretty sure we will never have to be worry about that but I think there is some legal concern here anyway.

Is there some policy at the W3C about such a case ? The main page of the W3C wiki claim that "Pages here have no formal status" and that's all.

Cheers
Jeremie

2011/7/28 Chris Mills <[hidden email]>
I have edited http://www.w3.org/wiki/Introduction_to_the_Web_Standards_Curriculum to improve language, bring it up to date, and change the perspective from first person to third person (it is not really me writing it on my own any more, now the article is on the wiki).

This is ready for translations now.

--

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor
Opera Software

* Try our browsers: http://www.opera.com
* Learn to build a better web, with the Opera web standards curriculum: http://www.opera.com/wsc
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com

--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net
Twitter : @JeremiePat

Re: WSC update - introductory article edited.

Karl Dubost-5

Le 30 juil. 2011 à 18:20, Jeremie Patonnier a écrit :
> I'm pretty sure we will never have to be worry about that

so maybe we should not start worry about it. ;)

> but I think there is some legal concern here anyway.

What would you propose for a license that would address those concerns.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/

Re: WSC update - introductory article edited.

Jeremie Patonnier
Hello,

Here is a proposal for a French translation of this article :

http://www.w3.org/wiki/User_talk:Jpatonni#French_translation_proposal_for_:_Introduction_to_the_Web_Standards_Curriculum

If there is any French speaking people here, reviews are more than welcome (to say the least, my spelling skills are... well... awful)

Now the question is : Where is it possible to push it live ? What about : http://www.w3.org/wiki/Introduction_au_Web_Standards_Curriculum ?

[...]

Twitter : @JeremiePat

Re: WSC update - introductory article edited.

Coralie Mercier
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:30:14 +0200, Jeremie Patonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is a proposal for a French translation of this article :
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/User_talk:Jpatonni#French_translation_proposal_for_:_Introduction_to_the_Web_Standards_Curriculum
>
> If there is any French speaking people here, reviews are more than
> welcome
> (to say the least, my spelling skills are... well... awful)

I'll review it, Jérémie.

> Now the question is : Where is it possible to push it live ? What about :
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Introduction_au_Web_Standards_Curriculum ?

Would this be compatible with our intention to show available translation
of a given article by way of the translations tool (left-hand side tool)?

Coralie

> Cheers,
> Jeremie
>
> 2011/7/28 Chris Mills <[hidden email]>
>
>> I have edited
>> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Introduction_to_the_Web_Standards_Curriculum to
>> improve language, bring it up to date, and change the perspective from
>> first
>> person to third person (it is not really me writing it on my own any
>> more,
>> now the article is on the wiki).
>>
>> This is ready for translations now.
[...]

--
Coralie Mercier - Communications Team - Incubator Activity Lead
      W3C/ERCIM - N212 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:[hidden email] +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/

2011/7/31 Coralie Mercier <[hidden email]>
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:30:14 +0200, Jeremie Patonnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

If there is any French speaking people here, reviews are more than welcome
(to say the least, my spelling skills are... well... awful)

I'll review it, Jérémie.

Merci Coralie :)

Now the question is : Where is it possible to push it live ? What about :
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Introduction_au_Web_Standards_Curriculum ?

Would this be compatible with our intention to show available translation of a given article by way of the translations tool (left-hand side tool)?

I don't know, I'm not a wikimedia expert, that's why I ask. But for what I understand, it doesn't seem to be a concern. After all, Wikipedia translate wiki page URL as well as the content.

Twitter : @JeremiePat

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:48:06 +0200, Coralie Mercier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:30:14 +0200, Jeremie Patonnier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is a proposal for a French translation of this article :
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/wiki/User_talk:Jpatonni#French_translation_proposal_for_:_Introduction_to_the_Web_Standards_Curriculum
>>
>> If there is any French speaking people here, reviews are more than
>> welcome
>> (to say the least, my spelling skills are... well... awful)
>
> I'll review it, Jérémie.

I'm done.
(I forgot to update the commit message to indicate that I corrected
spelling and grammar).

Coralie

[...]

On 31 Jul 2011, at 04:17, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 30 juil. 2011 à 18:20, Jeremie Patonnier a écrit :
>> I'm pretty sure we will never have to be worry about that
>
> so maybe we should not start worry about it. ;)
>
>> but I think there is some legal concern here anyway.
>
> What would you propose for a license that would address those concerns.

This is an interesting thread - I'm not the most knowledgeable about licensing issues, so would love to hear more.

What Karl says here is useful - after all, you are allowed to publish it under the same license or a compatible one. Also, when giving attribution if you are reusing the Wiki version (which I believe is the concern here), couldn't you just state the URL of the original, and say it is by various authors? Or would that not be good enough?