W3C wiki documentation for people

Karl Dubost-5
Hey,

long time no see.

There are plenty of projects going around evangelization of Web standards.
The W3C Wiki has been evolved to enable a broader participation.
A few persons have contributed a lot in the last few months, but I haven seen a message about it on this list yet.

The W3C wiki site is at
http://www.w3.org/wiki/

You need a public W3C account to be able to edit. It is not difficult.
Go to http://www.w3.org/Help/Account/Request/Public

You will see that the default of MediaWiki is not very appealing. Once you got an account, you can change a few things at
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Special:Preferences

Specifically there is a skin tab you can select.
I have chosen Modern. It is not perfect but at least it is more compact.
There is a W3C one but which is a bit big to my taste.

I think in the future we should think how we can work with W3C to propose one or more new skins and see if they will be willing to adopt it. So any Mediawiki Skins hero is welcome to work on that ;)

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/

Re: W3C wiki documentation for people

Todd Libby
Hi all,

I have had some experience in the past with MediaWiki skinning, so I am
willing and able to help out there as far as a skin or two is concerned.

I am also looking forward to being able to help contribute in any way I
can, thank yo all for the opportunity to help out.

--
Todd Libby
http://six03.com

Re: W3C wiki documentation for people

Karl Dubost-5
Hello todd,

Le 17 juil. 2011 à 01:18, Todd Libby a écrit :
> I have had some experience in the past with MediaWiki skinning, so I am willing and able to help out there as far as a skin or two is concerned.

Excellent.  If you do so, put the skin on a distributed versioning system ala github, bitbucket, etc. It will enable broader participation, authorize forks, will contribute to the community as large and will not make it a burden for you.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/

Re: W3C wiki documentation for people

Chris Mills-6

On 17 Jul 2011, at 06:18, Todd Libby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have had some experience in the past with MediaWiki skinning, so I am willing and able to help out there as far as a skin or two is concerned.
>
> I am also looking forward to being able to help contribute in any way I can, thank yo all for the opportunity to help out.

thank you so much Todd, for your interest. It is a Wiki, so the world really is your oyster, in terms of what you want to tackle first. Personally I reckon it'd be awesome if you first tried cleaning up the presentation with a new Media Wiki skin. I don't think we need anything anything too complex - just a nice clean, readable layout that isn't too cold and corporate. Something along the lines of A List Apart or similar? ;-)

Re: W3C wiki documentation for people

Doug Schepers-3
Hi, folks-

Great to see people volunteering!

We will probably eventually move the WSC materials to a dedicated
"education" wiki, rather than the general W3C wiki, so we can style the
wiki in a way that is optimized for browsing tutorials, quick reference
guides, best-practice docs, curricula, and so on.

In addition to skinning, we will probably want to have some navigation
breadcrumbs and different paths through the materials, for different
purposes.

As a great example, explore the W3C Internationalization tutorials:
  http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/authoring-html

I hope you all plan to join the Web Education Community Group once it
launches!

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, WebApps, Web Events, and Audio WGs

Le 21 juil. 2011 à 05:52, Doug Schepers a écrit :
> We will probably eventually move the WSC materials to a dedicated "education" wiki, rather than the general W3C wiki,

IMHO, bad idea.

It means
* people recreating accounts.
* content fragmentation across wikis
* territories

> so we can style the wiki in a way that is optimized for browsing tutorials, quick reference guides, best-practice docs, curricula, and so on.

It is possible to create templates (exactly like infoboxes for example) that will format the content accordingly to your choices.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Template
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-MediaWiki-Skin-from-Scratch
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Skin

--