W3C wiki and multilingual contributions

Jeremie Patonnier
Hello everyone

This is my first time on this ML. I'm a French web designer highly involved in Web standards evangelism.
Recently, Karl Dubost and Chris Mills had push the Opera Web Curiculum on the W3C Wiki. I like it and found it quite accurate (I use it on my daily work when I train people). I would perform a French translation of it.

So my question is : Is the MediaWiki used by the W3C able to support multilingual contributions (with cross mediawiki links, etc.)?

Thanks
--
Jeremie Patonnier
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net
Twitter : @JeremiePat

Re: W3C wiki and multilingual contributions

Coralie Mercier
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:23:17 +0200, Jeremie Patonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> This is my first time on this ML. I'm a French web designer highly
> involved
> in Web standards evangelism.
> Recently, Karl Dubost and Chris Mills had push the Opera Web Curiculum on
> the W3C Wiki. I like it and found it quite accurate (I use it on my daily
> work when I train people). I would perform a French translation of it.
>
> So my question is : Is the MediaWiki used by the W3C able to support
> multilingual contributions (with cross mediawiki links, etc.)?
>
> Thanks

Hello Jeremie

I'll find out whether MediaWiki supports multilingual contributions.

Coralie

--
Coralie Mercier - Communications Team - Incubator Activity Lead
      W3C/ERCIM - N212 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:[hidden email] +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/

Re: W3C wiki and multilingual contributions

Karl Dubost-5
Jeremie, others,

Le 14 juil. 2011 à 16:23, Jeremie Patonnier a écrit :
> This is my first time on this ML. I'm a French web designer highly involved in Web standards evangelism.

Welcome Jeremie, good to see you here.

> Recently, Karl Dubost and Chris Mills had push the Opera Web Curiculum on the W3C Wiki.

Honestly Chris Mills [1] (Opera) is the father of Web Standards Curriculum [2] for years. He moved everything [2] by himself to the W3C wiki, fabulous work! I just helped a bit here and there.

[1]: http://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Cmills
     https://twitter.com/chrisdavidmills
[2]: http://www.opera.com/company/education/curriculum/
[3]: http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Standards_Curriculum

> I like it and found it quite accurate (I use it on my daily work when I train people). I would perform a French translation of it.

That's great news. Thanks a lot. There is also plenty to do for updating the English material for the new shiny HTML5 :) and connect with other sections of the wiki. I expect at a point that the content in each languages might diverge exactly like wikipedia. It makes sense, different cultures, different ways of teaching, examples, etc. :) But we are not there yet.

> So my question is : Is the MediaWiki used by the W3C able to support multilingual contributions (with cross mediawiki links, etc.)?

People from the W3C System Team might know. Coralie (W3C) seems already on it.

Le 14 juil. 2011 à 16:33, Coralie Mercier a écrit :
> I'll find out whether MediaWiki supports multilingual contributions.

I'm so happy about all of this.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:33:31 +0200, Coralie Mercier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:23:17 +0200, Jeremie Patonnier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> This is my first time on this ML. I'm a French web designer highly
>> involved
>> in Web standards evangelism.
>> Recently, Karl Dubost and Chris Mills had push the Opera Web Curiculum
>> on
>> the W3C Wiki. I like it and found it quite accurate (I use it on my
>> daily
>> work when I train people). I would perform a French translation of it.
>>
>> So my question is : Is the MediaWiki used by the W3C able to support
>> multilingual contributions (with cross mediawiki links, etc.)?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Hello Jeremie
>
> I'll find out whether MediaWiki supports multilingual contributions.

Hello Jérémie, all,

The status at the moment is that no, our MediaWiki doesn't support
multinlingual contributions yet.
We'll try to work something out. I can't commit on a timeframe because our
systems team is stretched thin.

Coralie

--
Coralie Mercier - Communications Team - Incubator Activity Lead
      W3C/ERCIM - N212 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:[hidden email] +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/

Re: W3C wiki and multilingual contributions

Jeremie Patonnier
Hi Coralie

2011/7/21 Coralie Mercier <[hidden email]>

Hello Jérémie, all,

The status at the moment is that no, our MediaWiki doesn't support multinlingual contributions yet.
We'll try to work something out. I can't commit on a timeframe because our systems team is stretched thin.

This perfectly understandable and there is no rush here :)

However, in a general point of view, I think it's really important to translate training and educational content. Beginners do not necessarily master English (especially in France... I know you know) nor even some of more advanced users.

So if making the W3C wiki multilingual is not schedule yet, the question is : When can we expect a schedule (which doesn't mean the result of it) ? Are we talking about a few weeks, a few monthes, many monthes ? Ok, I heard you, you "can't commit on a timeframe". The question is not about a precise timeframe but more about a general delay. I'm pretty sure it will boring you (and a lot of people on that ML) very quickly if you see people coming in here to ask you "when, when, when"... let's say... every weeks or monthes ;)

Coralie

--
Coralie Mercier - Communications Team - Incubator Activity Lead
    W3C/ERCIM - N212 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:[hidden email] +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/

Cheers
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net
Twitter : @JeremiePat

Re: W3C wiki and multilingual contributions

Karl Dubost-2

Le 22 juil. 2011 à 16:10, Jeremie Patonnier a écrit :
> So if making the W3C wiki multilingual is not schedule yet, the question is : When can we expect a schedule (which doesn't mean the result of it) ? Are we talking about a few weeks, a few monthes, many monthes ?

Maybe you could start in a Discuss page.

For example
http://www.w3.org/wiki/The_CSS_layout_model_-_boxes_borders_margins_padding

I went to the discuss page
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Talk:The_CSS_layout_model_-_boxes_borders_margins_padding

and click on the "+" for create new section
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Talk:The_CSS_layout_model_-_boxes_borders_margins_padding#French_Translation_-_Traduction_fran.C3.A7aise

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: W3C wiki and multilingual contributions

Jeremie Patonnier
Well, It's a start even if I'm not convince by using Discuss page for that purpose.

At the moment, I'm thinking about using another wiki page for that (maybe in the "my talk" page for a start)