Quantcast

Vocabulary for email structural metadata?

Threaded

Vocabulary for email structural metadata?

Paul Houle-2
Recently I have been looking at email spools (downloaded via IMAP) with a particular interest in characterizing email attachments of various sorts.  Of course there is a MIME model which describes all this,  but is there any precedent for extracting the structural metadata for emails messages in RDF form?

--
Paul Houle

Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems, Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes

(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   [hidden email]

Try the Ontology2 Edition of Dbpedia 2015-10

Legal Entity Identifier Lookup

Join our Data Lakes group on LinkedIn

Threaded

Re: Vocabulary for email structural metadata?

Graham Klyne-2
On 15/08/2016 01:03, Paul Houle wrote:
> Recently I have been looking at email spools (downloaded via IMAP) with a
> particular interest in characterizing email attachments of various sorts.
> Of course there is a MIME model which describes all this,  but is there any
> precedent for extracting the structural metadata for emails messages in RDF
> form?

I'm not sure if this is at all relevant to your question...

Many years ago, I had a tilt at defining an XML-based format that was also
RDF/XML compatible - see http://www.ninebynine.org/IETF/Messaging/Intro.html.

In the end, it never went anywhere.

#g
--

Threaded

Re: Vocabulary for email structural metadata?

Dan Brickley-2
On 15 August 2016 at 01:03, Paul Houle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Recently I have been looking at email spools (downloaded via IMAP) with a
> particular interest in characterizing email attachments of various sorts.
> Of course there is a MIME model which describes all this,  but is there any
> precedent for extracting the structural metadata for emails messages in RDF
> form?

There are some aging notes in https://www.w3.org/wiki/EmailVocabulary

For markup within the message content
https://developers.google.com/gmail/markup/ might be of interest too.

cheers,

Dan

> --
> Paul Houle
>
> Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems,
> Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes
>
> (607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   [hidden email]
>
> Try the Ontology2 Edition of Dbpedia 2015-10
> https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01HMUNH4Q/
>
> Legal Entity Identifier Lookup
> https://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/
>
> Join our Data Lakes group on LinkedIn
> https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=8267275

Threaded

Re: Vocabulary for email structural metadata?

Paul Houle-2
There is some nice stuff in there.  Particularly the Nepomuk vocabulary is barking up the right tree because I am really looking at the

* IMAP
* CardDav
* CalDav
* WebDav

data from an email account that has an associated file store.  I've gotten in the habit of uploading files before attaching them because I live in Frontier country,  and I am now trying to "unattach" attachments and put them in the WebDav file store so I have a fighting chance of being able to find the email attachment that so and so sent me last week.

As for that JSON-LD vocabulary,  it looks like these JSON-LD packets are supposed to be embedded in an HTML email,  is that right?

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Dan Brickley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15 August 2016 at 01:03, Paul Houle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Recently I have been looking at email spools (downloaded via IMAP) with a
> particular interest in characterizing email attachments of various sorts.
> Of course there is a MIME model which describes all this,  but is there any
> precedent for extracting the structural metadata for emails messages in RDF
> form?

There are some aging notes in https://www.w3.org/wiki/EmailVocabulary

For markup within the message content
https://developers.google.com/gmail/markup/ might be of interest too.

cheers,

Dan

> --
> Paul Houle
>
> Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems,
> Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes

> Try the Ontology2 Edition of Dbpedia 2015-10
> https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01HMUNH4Q/
>
> Legal Entity Identifier Lookup
> https://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/
>
> Join our Data Lakes group on LinkedIn
> https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=8267275

--
Threaded

Re: Vocabulary for email structural metadata?

Simon Spero-2

Dan-
There's always  http://schema.org/EmailMessage ; this vocabulary can be converted to OWL given a few basic assumptions.

http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/ also has some relevant stuff.

I'm not sure how trustworthy the backers are though.

Simon