Visual Studio 2005 support

Jack Hughes-2

Hello,

Has anybody had a go at getting www-lib to build under Visual Studio 2005?

I've had a quick look and the current Visual Studio 6 support doesn't
import properly into VS2005. I've got a copy of VS6 around somewhere so
I guess I can use that if needs be. Just thought somebody might have
been down this road before.

Regards,

Jack Hughes
OPENXTRA Ltd.
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/

Re: Visual Studio 2005 support

Vic Bancroft-2

Jack Hughes wrote:

> Has anybody had a go at getting www-lib to build under Visual Studio
> 2005?

Interesting question, my operating system environments are linux and
NetBSD, though I have recently considered Solaris.  If there is a
general interest in supporting various IDE's, then we should outline
which have folks willing to contribute the appropriate supporting
files.  For eclipse, one might want to have the .project file under
version control.

Does the VisualStudio world have methods for detecting the IDE version
and adapting, or would we need to check in a different file for each ?

more,
l8r,

"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet."
 -- William Gibson, quoted by Whitfield Diffie

Re: Visual Studio 2005 support

Jack Hughes-2

I'm afraid that the project files for VS6 & VS 2005 are completely
different. Whilst upgrading from VS6 project files is supposed to happen
when VS2005 opens an older project file, unfortunately, in this case
that doesn't work properly. I've done this myself on a few company
projects when we upgraded from VS6 to VS2005 and it worked fine. So, it
would suggest that perhaps there is something going on in the existing
VS6 based project files that does convert correctly. From what I could
see, it looked like it was using relative paths to the files that wasn't
working correctly in VS2005.

I will investigate further and report back.

Regards,

Jack Hughes
OPENXTRA Ltd.
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/

Vic Bancroft wrote:

> Jack Hughes wrote:
>
>> Has anybody had a go at getting www-lib to build under Visual Studio
>> 2005?
>
> Interesting question, my operating system environments are linux and
> NetBSD, though I have recently considered Solaris.  If there is a
> general interest in supporting various IDE's, then we should outline
> which have folks willing to contribute the appropriate supporting
> files.  For eclipse, one might want to have the .project file under
> version control.
>
> Does the VisualStudio world have methods for detecting the IDE version
> and adapting, or would we need to check in a different file for each ?
>
> more,
> l8r,

RE: Visual Studio 2005 support

Dan Swaney

Visual Studio can typically upgrade earlier Solution and Project files
as far back as Visual C++ 6.0.

Unfortunately, starting in Visual Studio 2005, Microsoft added a default
option where the WINVER #define defaults to Windows 2003 Server.

What this means is that the compiled library/application will refuse to
run on Windows NT, 2000, and XP.  It doesn't even display an error either
-- the app will just do nothing.

What you need to do is make sure to define WINVER to 0x0400 -- which means
allow the app to run on Windows NT and above.  You can do this through
the project settings so you don't have to add it to your code.

=Dan=