[VE][html5] The itemprop attribute was specified, but the element is not a property of any item

[VE][html5] The itemprop attribute was specified, but the element is not a property of any item

Sanjeev Verma

Hello,

While validating our website http://14.141.108.213:93/ we received error “The itemprop attribute was specified, but the element is not a property of any item” this is because we added “itemprop”. We added the following meta:

This is our business requirement and we cannot remove this.

Kindly suggest what else we need to do to fix this.

Validating http://14.141.108.213:93/
Error [html5]: ""

Best Regards,

Sanjeev | Team Lead | MYZEAL IT Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

India: +91-120-4359999 (ext:218)

Skype: mzit.sverma

www.myzealit.com

mzitlogo 6 sept revised.gif

 facebook linkedin twitter youtube rss up

Re: [VE] [html5] The itemprop attribute was specified, but the element is not a property of any item

David Dorward-3

On 4 Sep 2014, at 8:43, Sanjeev Verma wrote:

This is our business requirement and we cannot remove this.

Kindly suggest what else we need to do to fix this.

Either:

  1. Change your business requirement or
  2. Accept that you aren't writing HTML

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.co.uk/

Re: [VE][html5] The itemprop attribute was specified, but the element is not a property of any item

Jukka K. Korpela
2014-09-04 10:43, Sanjeev Verma wrote:

> While validating our website http://14.141.108.213:93/ we received error
> “The itemprop attribute was specified, but the element is not a property
> of any item”

The experimental HTML5 validator checks against a vaguely defined
collection of drafts and notes, apparently including “HTML Microdata”,
which defines the itemprop attribute (which is not present at all in W3C
HTML5 CR). It defines the attribute so that it is allowed on any element
“if doing so adds one or more properties to one or more items”, with
“items” as a link to a desciption of the itemscope attribute.
Ref.: http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/#names:-the-itemprop-attribute

Thus, itemprop is allowed only if an ancestor element has the itemscope
attribute. In your case, the simplest fix is to add that attribute to
the parent of your meta elements, the head element:

<head id="header1" itemscope>

Yucca

2014-09-05 13:42, Shane McCarron wrote:

> However you should be aware that support for itemprop will likely be
> removed from the validator altogether since it is not actually valid HTML5.

Should we? Is there a W3C statement on this?

HTML5 is work in progress, and it is not clear what “extensions” outside
the W3C HTML5 will be treated as part of HTML5.

Yucca

Yucca

2014-09-05 16:09, Shane McCarron wrote:

> Microdata was explicitly dropped from the recommendation track.  To me
> that means it is not valid HTML5. Maybe that is a simplistic view.

The W3C Microdata document was turned from a Working Draft to a Working
Group Note, which indeed means in practice taking it away from
recommendations or “standards” track. But that was in October 2013, so
the validator maintenance hasn’t been particularly fast in dropping it.
And microdata is an integral part of “HTML Living Standard” by WHATWG as
well as recommended by major search engines via Schema.org, so it would
be surprising if the validator started flagging it as invalid.

Yucca