[VE][25] Error Message Feedback

Breaker-2

Validating Error [25]: "general entity X not defined and no default entity"

[ Add your message/question here.
Follow the instructions at
http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html#errormsg ]

The WC3 HTML validator says the following is in error:

href="http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?&addr=2030+P+Street+NW&csz=Washington%2C+DC+20036"

This is a link I am providing on my webpage to others who want to use
the Yahoo Map to see where we are located. The validator is having
hearburn about the "csz" in the address, but that is the valid URL to
link back to Yahoo Maps.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: [VE][25] Error Message Feedback

David Dorward-3

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 08:39 -0400, breaker wrote:
> Validating Error [25]: "general entity X not defined and no default entity"
> The WC3 HTML validator says the following is in error:
> href="http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?&addr=2030+P+Street+NW&csz=Washington%2C+DC+20036"

> Suggestions?

If I construct a minimal test case[1], the validator says:

        Entity references start with an ampersand (&) and end with a
        semicolon (;). If you want to use a literal ampersand in your
        document you must encode it as "&" (even inside URLs!).

... so how about you do that?

[1] <a href="http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdorward.me.uk%2Ftmp%">http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdorward.me.uk%2Ftmp%
2Fampersand.html

--
David Dorward                           <http://dorward.me.uk/>
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another."
                             -- The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Re: [VE][25] Error Message Feedback

Frank Ellermann
David Dorward wrote:

> ... so how about you do that?

Something's odd here, the OP had &amp; everywhere, and you lost
it getting the wrong error message (?)  When I test it I get no
error, see below.

Completely beside the point, the first &amp; isn't needed, the
URL works also without it (second &amp; replaced by & here);

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?addr=2030+P+Street+NW&csz=Washington%2C+DC+20036

                         Bye, Frank

demo

test

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 03:37 +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> David Dorward wrote:
>
> > ... so how about you do that?
>
> Something's odd here, the OP had &amp; everywhere,

No, he didn't. He missed one.

> Completely beside the point, the first &amp; isn't needed, the
> URL works also without it (second &amp; replaced by & here);

There is a difference between a URL written in plain text (in which the
character "&" is correct), and a URL written in HTML (in which "&" must
be expressed as "&amp;".

> test

Your example has all the "&" characters expressed as "&amp;".

David Dorward wrote:

> Your example has all the "&" characters expressed as "&amp;".

Yes, I copied this 1:1 from what I saw as "original" article:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.w3c.validator/7231/raw

If something replaced the first &amp; by & I'd guess that it
happened somewhere betweeen the list and you.

The other possibility is & replaced by &amp; between the list
and GMaNe, but that's rather unlikely for a simple text/plain.

                             Bye, Frank