Using a custom doctype for html5

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using a custom doctype for html5

Francois du Toit-2
I'm trying to make tidy output html with a custom doctype for html5 as
described here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2657658
But when I try this, I get the following error:

# tidy --doctype '<!DOCTYPE html>' test.html

Config: missing or malformed argument for option: doctype
Error: Can't open "<!DOCTYPE html>"

The man page seems to suggest that a custom string can be used, so
what am I missing?

Thanks




--
ζφ


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Possible to use Tidy only as validator?

ts-15
Hi,


I don't want Tidy to actually change HTML.
I only want it to report errors? Can TidyLib do this?
I can't get the tidy.exe to not automatically correct HTML :(


best regards
Thomas Schulz
 


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to use Tidy only as validator?

Lee Passey
On Mon, October 25, 2010 3:45 pm, ts wrote:
> Hi,
>
>
> I don't want Tidy to actually change HTML.
> I only want it to report errors? Can TidyLib do this?

Yes. tidy -e <yourinputfile.html>

> I can't get the tidy.exe to not automatically correct HTML :(

RTFM

tidy -h
tidy -show-config
tidy -help-config

http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/tidy_man.html
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to use Tidy only as validator?

ts-15
Hi,


It appears you are correct :)

I had been through:
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html
But was/am not able to locate -e there.

And yes, I realize I will probably be proven
wrong even though I just double checked :)

But I see tidy -h  list the -e switch and
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/tidy_man.html

so... My bad under all circumstances :D
Thanks again :)


best regards
Tom



Den 30-11-2010 20:53, Lee Passey skrev:

> On Mon, October 25, 2010 3:45 pm, ts wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> I don't want Tidy to actually change HTML.
>> I only want it to report errors? Can TidyLib do this?
>
> Yes. tidy -e<yourinputfile.html>
>
>> I can't get the tidy.exe to not automatically correct HTML :(
>
> RTFM
>
> tidy -h
> tidy -show-config
> tidy -help-config
>
> http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/tidy_man.html
> http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html
>
>
>