Quantcast

Using DCAT for RSS

Threaded

Using DCAT for RSS

Cristiano Longo-4
Hi folks, I'm creating a list of intresting RSS feeds. I suppose that
thet can be modeled as DCAT datasets (with RSS as distribution), am I
right?

Any suggestion or comment is welcome,

CL

Threaded

Re: Using DCAT for RSS

Phil Archer-4
Hi Cristiano,

dcat:Dataset and dcat:Distribution are not disjoint so you can have an
RSS feed as an instance of both. But it wouldn't be correct to have a
dcat:Dataset that was a collection of RSS feeds and then each of those
feeds as a Distribution since the Distribution is a way of accessing the
full dataset. You may have an API that allows you to select subsets of
the dataset (that's a hot topic for me at the moment) and so your
Distribution, which is an API, might well yield a single RSS feed but
you'll need to think of it like that.

I'm confusing myself just writing this but I hope it makes some sense.
And, it would be remiss of me, when talking about DCAT, not to point you
to the workshop on that topic later this year:
https://www.w3.org/2016/11/sdsvoc/ Your question is very much in scope
for that.

Cheers

Phil.

--

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead

http://philarcher.org
+44 (0)7887 767755
@philarcher1

Threaded

Re: Using DCAT for RSS

Cristiano Longo-4

Thanks Phil. I have two use cases. The former is simpler: i have an rdf dataset if events and associated a sparql endpoint, an rss feed and a Calendar file. Here it is quite clear that the rdf dataset have to be modeled as dcat!:Dataset whereas the sparql endpoint, the rss feed and the iCal file are distributions of this dataset. The latter case is more confusing: i have just a website with some articles and an associated rss feed. I see nothing here that is obviously a dataset (however the definition of set of data is really large)

On 18/08/2016 11:16, cristiano longo wrote:
> Thanks Phil. I have two use cases. The former is simpler: i have an rdf
> dataset if events and associated a sparql endpoint, an rss feed and a
> Calendar file. Here it is quite clear that the rdf dataset have to be
> modeled as dcat!:Dataset whereas the sparql endpoint, the rss feed and the
> iCal file are distributions of this dataset.

Yep.

  The latter case is more
> confusing: i have just a website with some articles and an associated rss
> feed. I see nothing here that is obviously a dataset (however the
> definition of set of data is really large)

Ah, right. Yes, the definition of a dataset is so broad that a website
counts, and I guess therefore an RSS feed counts as a distribution.

Cheers

Phil

--

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead

http://philarcher.org
+44 (0)7887 767755
@philarcher1

Threaded

Re: Using DCAT for RSS

Marcel Fröhlich
Hello Phil,

is this really the intention of DCAT to allow a dataset denote something different than the distribution?
(assuming RSS feed content != other website content)

I never checked DCAT standards docs in detail, but my intuitive understanding is, that different distributions of a dataset should have the intention to cover the same content, just differing regarding format, access method and maybe version or specific restrictions.

If a distribution is just "some data content" that is part of a dataset, then we look at a collection of of rather arbitrary objects, which is not what I'd like to be the definition of a dataset.

If such a concept were required, I'd rather introduce the notion of a "component" type, to make clear that there is additional structure. Whereas in my opinion dataset vs. distribution should be looked at more like intentional definition vs. extensional definition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensional_and_intensional_definitions).

Cheers, Marcel

@FroehlichMarcel

[...]

Rss is a summary of the web site. It contains titles, summary and links to all the articles of the site. Of course, in generale an rss feed may point to contents from differenti sites.

Il 18/ago/2016 02:23 PM, "Marcel Fröhlich" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

thanks for the clarification.
If RSS feed is summary of the site's content with links then I agree with Phil's proposal to type it as a distribution.

Regards, Marcel

[...]

Also, you can spend months or years developing a vocabulary, carefully
thinking of how you see it being used... and then other people start
using it and, well, things tend to change ;-) Which is the topic of an
event in Bologna later this year http://event.cwi.nl/drift-a-lod/2016/
(that I'm sorry I can't get to) and, from a process management POV, what
my Amsterdam event is also about (https://www.w3.org/2016/11/sdsvoc/).

I well remember many years ago DanBri telling me that you can't tell
people how to use your spec - people will use it as they want to. So if
it suits Cristiano to describe an RSS feed as a dcat:Distribution of a
dcat:Dataset that's a website, that's what he'll do. Whether anyone else
finds that data useful of course is another matter entirely ;-)

Phil.

--

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead

http://philarcher.org
+44 (0)7887 767755
@philarcher1

Threaded

Re: Using DCAT for RSS

Marcel Fröhlich
Phil,

I agree. Often for a project there are good reasons to cut short on the usage of vocab elements.
A choice that every data creator/provider takes on its own.
For those who care to create highly reusable data, it is still worthwhile to discuss and document the conceptualization
and provide clear distinctions and examples. The Amsterdam event sounds very interesting  :)

Cheers, Marcel