Use of <a name="xxx" id="xxx"> in text/html specs

Use of <a name="xxx" id="xxx"> in text/html specs

Norman Walsh
FYI:

  https://plus.google.com/105458233028934590147/posts/9qxYQ7RepSq

It probably wouldn't be hard to fix the stylesheets, but I'm not even
sure where the HEAD of development is these days. In any event, it's
something to watch for no matter how you're producing your specs.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh
Lead Engineer

Re: Use of <a name="xxx" id="xxx"> in text/html specs

David Carlisle
On 03/10/2011 13:12, Norman Walsh wrote:
> It probably wouldn't be hard to fix the stylesheets,

As I commented on g+ the correct fix isn't to change the stylesheets,
it's just to generate html if you want to serve it as text/html, or to
serve it as with an xml mime type if you want to generate xml.

David

--
google plus: https:/profiles.google.com/d.p.carlisle

powered by MessageLabs.

Re: Use of <a name="xxx" id="xxx"> in text/html specs

Robin Berjon-2
On Oct 3, 2011, at 14:12 , Norman Walsh wrote:
> FYI:
>
>  https://plus.google.com/105458233028934590147/posts/9qxYQ7RepSq
>
> It probably wouldn't be hard to fix the stylesheets, but I'm not even
> sure where the HEAD of development is these days. In any event, it's
> something to watch for no matter how you're producing your specs.

As David points out, this is largely a problem due to serving XHTML as text/html. Going through all existing specifications to fix this would be painful, but it would probably be worth looking into catching this sort of problem in pubrules.

You mention HEAD but not of what, I'm guessing XMLSpec? If so, I think that a recent discussion on the topic has shown that it's still rather widely used, but that every group using it seems to have its own branch. It probably wouldn't hurt for some brave Tzar to stand up and unify all those branches so that everyone can benefit from the same bugfixes (note that I'm not anywhere near volunteering for this). Notably, I'm not sure what the value of <h1><a id='foo'/>Foo</h1> is over <h1 id='foo'>Foo</h1> (or perhaps even more semantically: with the id on the containing <div>) is, but a fix replacing the former with the latter would address the reported bug (which has been there a while) for everyone at once.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon

On 03/10/2011 13:29, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Notably, I'm not sure what the value of<h1><a id='foo'/>Foo</h1>  is over<h1 id='foo'>Foo</h1>

Netscape 3 support perhaps (which is why it uses <a name=xx id=xxx> in
case id isn't supported...

 >  (or perhaps even more semantically: with the id on the
containing<div>) is,

For headings it would be fairly easy to change the stylesheets to do
that, more problematic is xmlspec's support of inline definitions where
you can mark a phrase appearing inline mid-paragraph as a definition so
it gets an empty <a id="xxx> to which you can link elsewhere in the
document.

David

powered by MessageLabs.

On Oct 3, 2011, at 14:36 , David Carlisle wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 13:29, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Notably, I'm not sure what the value of<h1><a id='foo'/>Foo</h1>  is over<h1 id='foo'>Foo</h1>
>
> Netscape 3 support perhaps (which is why it uses <a name=xx id=xxx> in case id isn't supported...

Weeeeeell, I'm all for extending support widely and all, but Netscape 3 seems like it's overdoing it just a tiny little bit :)

> >  (or perhaps even more semantically: with the id on the containing<div>) is,
>
> For headings it would be fairly easy to change the stylesheets to do that, more problematic is xmlspec's support of inline definitions where you can mark a phrase appearing inline mid-paragraph as a definition so it gets an empty <a id="xxx> to which you can link elsewhere in the document.

My XMLSpec is very, very rusty, but I'm assuming that this generates a <dfn>? If so, it's a simple matter of slapping an id onto that. You can link to pretty much anything with an id.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon

Re: Use of <a name="xxx" id="xxx"> in text/html specs

Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Norman Walsh wrote:
>FYI:
>
>  https://plus.google.com/105458233028934590147/posts/9qxYQ7RepSq
>
>It probably wouldn't be hard to fix the stylesheets, but I'm not even
>sure where the HEAD of development is these days. In any event, it's
>something to watch for no matter how you're producing your specs.

This is the typical result when using some XML output mode to generate
XHTML. Many technical reports have such issues. I tried for a couple of
years to fix this, even wrote a tool to detect such issues, available at
http://qa-dev.w3.org/~bjoern/appendix-c/validator/ but since integrated
into the Markup Validator, but I could not persuade The Webmaster to pay
any attention to this problem when publishing documents. I note that
this causes serious issues in some browsers. The easy solution is to run
the documents through HTML Tidy prior to publication.