Update to media type "application/ttml+xml"

Update to media type "application/ttml+xml"

Philippe Le Hegaret
The W3C Timed Text Working Group would like to update the media type
"application/ttml+xml" as follows. Comments are welcome.

It updates the media type, "application/ttml+xml" to add a new
parameter, codecs. All other provisions of the media type specification
remain the same. This supercedes the initial registration information in
TTML 1.0 Second Edition.

Text copied below but see also the original text at:
  https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-ttml-profile-registry-20160510/#mediatype

[[

Type name:

     application
Subtype name:

     ttml+xml
Required parameters:

     None.
Optional parameters:

     charset

         If specified, the charset parameter must match the XML encoding
declaration, or if absent, the actual encoding. See also Encoding
Considerations below.
     profile

         The document profile of a TTMLDocument Instance may be
specified using an optional profile parameter, which, if specified, the
value of which must adhere to the syntax and semantics of ttp:profile
parameter defined by TTML 1.0 Second Edition, Section 6.2.8 ttp:profile
of the published specification.

     codecs

         The optional codecs parameter provides a short form version of
the profile parameter with multiple-profile combinatorial capability. If
a short (4-character) form of a profile is registered in the TTML
Profile Registry, it is recommended that this codecs parameter be used
and not the profile parameter. The nominal value of this parameter is a
single 4 character code from the registry.

         Additionally, applications using the entries in the registry
are encouraged to adopt the following combination syntax:

         Employ two combination operators, '+' (AND) and '|' (OR), which
may be used to specify, respectively, that multiple processor profiles
apply (simultaneously) or that any processor profile of a list of
profiles may apply individually. If both operators are used in a codecs
value, then the '+' operator has precedence.

         The example: "A+B|C+D|E" states that a TTML processor that
implements any one of A+B or C+D or E processor profiles satisfies, at
first order, the requirements to fetch and begin decode/processing of a
TTML document, where X+Y means that both X and Y processor profiles must
be supported, and X|Y means that either X or Y processor profile must be
supported.

         For more information about processor profile combination, see
TTML2 Profile Combination.

Encoding considerations:

     Same for application/xml, except constrained to either UTF-8 or
UTF-16. See IETF RFC 3023, XML Media Types, Section 3.2. For the purpose
of filling out the IANA Application for Media Type
(http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl), the value binary applies.
Security considerations:

     As with other XML types and as noted in IETF RFC 3023, XML Media
Types, Section 10, repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML
entities can be used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause
XML processors in constrained environments to fail.

     In addition, because of the extensibility features for TTML and of
XML in general, it is possible that "application/ttml+xml" may describe
content that has security implications beyond those described here.
However, TTML does not provide for any sort of active or executable
content, and if the processor follows only the normative semantics of
the published specification, this content will be outside TTML
namespaces and may be ignored. Only in the case where the processor
recognizes and processes the additional content, or where further
processing of that content is dispatched to other processors, would
security issues potentially arise. And in that case, they would fall
outside the domain of this registration document.

     Although not prohibited, there are no expectations that XML
signatures or encryption would normally be employed.
Interoperability considerations:

     The published specification describes processing semantics that
dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among other
things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in TTML namespaces
and in other namespaces.

     Because TTML is extensible, conformant "application/ttml+xml"
processors may expect (and enforce) that content received is well-formed
XML, but it cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a
particular DTD or Schema or that the processor will recognize all of the
elements and attributes in the document.
Published specification:

     This media type registration is extracted from the TTML Profile
Registry.
Applications that use this media type:

     TTML is used in the television industry for the purpose of
authoring, transcoding and exchanging timed text information and for
delivering captions, subtitles, and other metadata for television
material repurposed for the Web or, more generally, the Internet.

     There is partial and full support of TTML in components used by
several Web browsers plugins, and in a number of caption authoring tools.
Additional information:

     Magic number(s):
     File extension(s):

         .ttml
     Macintosh file type code(s):

         "TTML"
     Fragment identifiers:

         For documents labeled as application/ttml+xml, the fragment
identifier notation is intended to be used with xml:id attributes, as
described in section 7.2.1 of the Timed Text Markup Language 1 (TTML1)
specification.

Person & email address to contact for further information:

     Timed Text Working Group ([hidden email])
Intended usage:

     COMMON
Restrictions on usage:

     None

     The published specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
Consortium's Timed Text (TT) Working Group.
Change controller:

     The W3C has change control over this specification.
]]
https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-ttml-profile-registry-20160510/#mediatype

Thank you,

Philippe

Re: [media-types] Update to media type "application/ttml+xml"

Eric Prud'hommeaux
* Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> [2016-06-16 10:16-0400]

> The W3C Timed Text Working Group would like to update the media type
> "application/ttml+xml" as follows. Comments are welcome.
>
> It updates the media type, "application/ttml+xml" to add a new parameter,
> codecs. All other provisions of the media type specification remain the
> same. This supercedes the initial registration information in TTML 1.0
> Second Edition.
>
> Text copied below but see also the original text at:
>  https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-ttml-profile-registry-20160510/#mediatype
>
> [[
>
> Type name:
>
>     application
> Subtype name:
>
>     ttml+xml
> Required parameters:
>
>     None.
> Optional parameters:
>
>     charset
>
>         If specified, the charset parameter must match the XML encoding
> declaration, or if absent, the actual encoding. See also Encoding
> Considerations below.
>     profile
>
>         The document profile of a TTMLDocument Instance may be specified
> using an optional profile parameter, which, if specified, the value of which
> must adhere to the syntax and semantics of ttp:profile parameter defined by
> TTML 1.0 Second Edition, Section 6.2.8 ttp:profile of the published
> specification.
>
>     codecs
>
>         The optional codecs parameter provides a short form version of the
> profile parameter with multiple-profile combinatorial capability. If a short
> (4-character) form of a profile is registered in the TTML Profile Registry,
> it is recommended that this codecs parameter be used and not the profile
> parameter. The nominal value of this parameter is a single 4 character code
> from the registry.
>
>         Additionally, applications using the entries in the registry are
> encouraged to adopt the following combination syntax:
>
>         Employ two combination operators, '+' (AND) and '|' (OR), which may
> be used to specify, respectively, that multiple processor profiles apply
> (simultaneously) or that any processor profile of a list of profiles may
> apply individually. If both operators are used in a codecs value, then the
> '+' operator has precedence.
>
>         The example: "A+B|C+D|E" states that a TTML processor that
> implements any one of A+B or C+D or E processor profiles satisfies, at first
> order, the requirements to fetch and begin decode/processing of a TTML

PLH indicated that "at first order" is something like an initial claim
about the embedded codecs. Is it the intention that there be some sort
of recovery if that initial claim is incorrect? What should the
processor do if the advertised codec is ogg and the actual codec is
xvid? If you strike "at first order", I think you could avoid having
to define the behavior in the event of invalid parameters.

> document, where X+Y means that both X and Y processor profiles must be
> supported, and X|Y means that either X or Y processor profile must be
> supported.
>
>         For more information about processor profile combination, see TTML2
> Profile Combination.

  "TTML2 Profile Comination" has no URL in the reg. The hyptertext version links to
    https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml2/#profile-attribute-processorProfileCombination
  propose instead link to
    https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml2/#processor-profile-combination-table
  and embedding that link in ()s in the text.

> [...]
>     File extension(s):
>
>         .ttml
>     Macintosh file type code(s):
>
>         "TTML"
>     Fragment identifiers:
>
>         For documents labeled as application/ttml+xml, the fragment
> identifier notation is intended to be used with xml:id attributes, as
> described in section 7.2.1 of the Timed Text Markup Language 1 (TTML1)
> specification.
>
> Person & email address to contact for further information:
>
>     Timed Text Working Group ([hidden email])
> Intended usage:
>
>     COMMON
> Restrictions on usage:
>
>     None
>
>     The published specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
> Consortium's Timed Text (TT) Working Group.
> Change controller:
>
>     The W3C has change control over this specification.

-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509
mobile: +33.6.80.80.35.59

([hidden email])
email address distribution.

Re: [media-types] Update to media type "application/ttml+xml"

Paul Libbrecht-4
Dear Philippe,

I could not find a complete information but it looks like TTML is a format that could be contained in a clipboard. E.g. when transporting a (piece of a) transcript from one document to another. Could I, thus, suggest that you add below the Macintosh File type and such extra information two fields:
- Windows clipboard flavour:
- MacOS uniform type identifier:
In order to find the right clipboard type names, a little bit of research should be done on the existing practice.
Which tools exist out there which can accept or produce TTML?

thanks in advance.

Paul
16 June 2016 at 16:16
[...]

FW: [media-types] Update to media type "application/ttml+xml"

Michael Dolan-4
Resending to TTWG.

RE: [media-types] Update to media type "application/ttml+xml"

Eric Prud'hommeaux
* Michael Dolan <[hidden email]> [2016-06-17 23:57+0000]
> Hi Eric-
>
> Thanks. I think I agree with your comment about "first order". It's either right or it isn't.  And what a robust decoder may wish to do if it detects that it is wrong (and also figures out what it really is) should be out of scope.
>
> I'm not sure I follow your comment about the URL. TTML2 Table 6-3 needs the text that precedes it to understand it.  Maybe I don't understand your comment.

Boring editorial point that you should include the link in visible
text so it shows up in the registration. Otherwise the test/plain reg
just says "see TTML2 Profile Combination" without a link.

I get your point about referencing the previous paragraph rather than
just the table labeled "TTML2 Profile Combination".

--
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509
mobile: +33.6.80.80.35.59

([hidden email])
email address distribution.

RE: [media-types] Update to media type "application/ttml+xml"

Michael Dolan-4

Hi Paul-

Thanks. FYI, we’re mainly focused on the addition of the codecs parameter. The rest of the text remains unchanged from the prior registration in TTML1.

Maybe one of the tools vendors on the reflector knows of specific details to propose?

                Mike

                (Note editor)