Update on TR design project

Philippe Le Hegaret
After talking to Fantasai on Monday, it looked to me that we were in a
good shape to make the switch to the new /TR style sheets on February
1st from her side. There were 3 issues that needed closure but were
advanced enough (fixup.js, margin right, and link color).

I'm checking with Comm and System to get confirmation that we're ok on
their side but won't get final confirmation before Monday (due to
vacation schedule).

So this is a heads-up that, while we don't have a formal decision to
make the switch yet pending confirmations, I intent to make the
announcement early next week.

The style is up-to-date in https://www.w3.org/2016/01/ and it now has
the fixup.js as well.

The list of required changes in documents is (to be confirmed):

1. Include <meta> for mobile display
initial-scale=1.0, width=content-width, shrink-to-fit=no">

2. Table of Contents
    <nav id="toc"> must be wrapped around entire toc section (incl. heading)

3. Link to the correct style sheet in the head (of course)
    e.g. https://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/2016/W3C-WD

4. Append link to the fixup.js script
    e.g. https://www.w3.org/scripts/fixup.js

Philippe

Re: Update on TR design project

Edward O'Connor-2
Hi Philippe,

I assume the second width is an error. s/, width=content-width//

On 01/06/2016 12:20 PM, Edward O'Connor wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> 1. Include <meta> for mobile display
>> initial-scale=1.0, width=content-width, shrink-to-fit=no">
>
> I assume the second width is an error. s/, width=content-width//

Fantasai was trying to check on that with you the other day so glad that
you caught it here. :)

Thank you,

Philippe

Re: Update on TR design project

fantasai
On 01/06/2016 07:12 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> 4. Append link to the fixup.js script
>     e.g. https://www.w3.org/scripts/fixup.js

This should be a dated URL.

~fantasai

On 01/06/2016 09:20 AM, Edward O'Connor wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> 1. Include <meta> for mobile display
>> initial-scale=1.0, width=content-width, shrink-to-fit=no">
>
> I assume the second width is an error. s/, width=content-width//

Okay, so final incantation seems to be:

~fantasai

Re: Update on TR design project

fantasai
On 01/06/2016 07:12 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> After talking to Fantasai on Monday, it looked to me that we were in a good shape to make the switch to the new /TR style
> sheets on February 1st from her side. There were 3 issues that needed closure but were advanced enough (fixup.js, margin
> right, and link color).
>
> I'm checking with Comm and System to get confirmation that we're ok on their side but won't get final confirmation before
> Monday (due to vacation schedule).
>
> So this is a heads-up that, while we don't have a formal decision to make the switch yet pending confirmations, I intent to
> make the announcement early next week.
>
> The style is up-to-date in https://www.w3.org/2016/01/ and it now has the fixup.js as well.
>
> The list of required changes in documents is (to be confirmed):
>
> 1. Include <meta> for mobile display
>
> 2. Table of Contents
>     <nav id="toc"> must be wrapped around entire toc section (incl. heading)
>
> 3. Link to the correct style sheet in the head (of course)
>     e.g. https://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/2016/W3C-WD
>
> 4. Append link to the fixup.js script
>     e.g. https://www.w3.org/scripts/2016/fixup.js

a11y feedback is looking like we also need a "Skip to ToC" link
at the top of the page, so gonna figure out what that looks like
and add to the list...

~fantasai

On 01/12/2016 04:56 PM, Michiel Bijl wrote:
> As an FYI: There are outstanding bugs in both WebKit and Blink regarding skip links; focus isn’t moved to target. I know your
> stance on working around browser bugs in the spec, just thought you should know (if you didn’t already).

Fair enough. :) If it's a browser bug in WebKit/Blink that's making
trouble, we can turn off the sidebar-ToC feature for them until they
fix it. That's an easy one.

~fantasai

Re: Update on TR design project

Philippe Le Hegaret
So, it appears that since we said we were almost ready to switch to the
new style, folks have been paying more attention to this project and a
few issues came up.

We're late in the month and we're not quite ready so, to stay on the
safe side, we're delaying the switch to March 1st.

Apologizes to those who were impatient to do the switch for TR
documents. We're almost there, so a little bit more patience and your
longtime wish will come true.

Many thanks to Elika for keeping up,

Philippe