United States Cyberpolicy after the ITU WCIT Conference

United States Cyberpolicy after the ITU WCIT Conference

Adam Sobieski
WWW-Talk,

Greetings. After the contentious 2012 ITU WCIT conference, and in response to some unfolding news stories about United States cyberpolicy developments, it appears to those with a certain stance on liberty, a certain interpretation of Constitutional philosophy, American philosophy, and as pertaining to the modern topics of the Internet and the Web, that there remains more to be done on the topics of the Internet and the Web with regard to the prevention of United States government encroachments.

>From defending the Internet and Web from the United States government during a nexus of politics and terror, prolonged crises, the longest war in Afghanistan, to the 2012 ITU WCIT conference which sought to introduce a global regulation of the Internet, back to cyberpolicy topics in the United States, and upcoming is the 2013 ITU WTPF conference.

Presently, after protecting the Internet and the Web at the 2012 ITU WCIT conference, Washington D.C. has an opportunity to lead by example, to illustrate a renewed stewardship of and profound wherewithal with regard to the defense of the shared ideals of mankind, expressed in numerous declarations of human rights, some past declarations with concepts and principles applicable to and some recent declarations with explicit mention of the Internet and the Web.

I would like to encourage a wider participation in civil discourse about cyberpolicy from scientists and technologists, particularly American scientists and technologists. In addition to advocacy organizations such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the Electronic Privacy Information Center, I posit that individual scientists and technologists can each consider themselves as having a responsibility to society to participate in civil discourse, to discuss and to express reactions to contentious cyberpolicy, and that the combination of freely speaking scientists and technologists with advocacy organizations participating in the courts and lobbying the legislature can defend liberties and protect the lasting resources of the Internet and the Web.

Kind regards,

Adam Sobieski

RE: United States Cyberpolicy after the ITU WCIT Conference

Adam Sobieski
WWW-Talk,

A distributed, decentralized computer security communication network (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/p2prg/current/msg01757.html), a computer system for the dissemination of instantaneous computer security information between computer scientists is an interesting topic. Such a system can be interoperable with, synchronized with, some concurrent versioning systems of open source projects. Such a system can be interoperable with software development updates of certain varieties and the hashes of concurrent versioning system objects can be utilized. Such a system can, in numerous ways, enhance the security of computers, computer networks, and computer systems by enhancing the well-informedness of each interested computer scientist across the nation.

Such systems can reduce government waste and public expense with regard to some cybersecurity topics across a number of organizations such as the CIA, DHS, DOD, FBI, NSA and USNORTHCOM. Additionally, some existing computer networks, such as military computer networks, are considered to be more secure than some existing civilian computer networks and, amidst that, the government claims that the public should pay taxes for government personnel or government systems to surveil the civilian networks and to surveil the American people.

Americans have expressed concerns about an American news climate over the past decade or more. Americans have expressed concerns about a certain fearmongering concurrent to the introduction of, popularity of, or ubiquity of the Internet and the Web. Americans have expressed concerns about a news climate with regard to cybercrime, cyberwarfare, and cybersecurity topics. Americans have expressed concerns about a news climate with regard to various amorphous domestic and foreign cyberdangers, for example Chinese hackers. The matter, overall, calls into question whether any government organizations may have participated, either directly or indirectly, in activities somehow contrary to ensuring the domestic tranquility.

Additionally, the Shirky Principle states that some institutions might try to preserve the problem to which they are the solution. There could be, then, when faced with bold and new approaches to solving problems, a certain apprehension or reluctance to change, a reluctance to budgetary changes or to the repurposing of personnel. As a large percentage of Americans work for the government, in the public sector, and as an unknown portion of computer scientists have worked on or work on cybersecurity topics, job creation topics can be discussed concurrently to bold and new approaches to solving problems and to addressing Americans policy concerns. With too many remnant policy items from a previous administration, with a fiscal cliff approaching, the United States of America needs new solutions, new plans, to repurpose personnel, to create jobs, to stimulate the economy, and to affirm the primacy of Constitutional philosophy and Constitutional law.

Job creation topics include the construction of new scientific laboratories across the United States. When Americans tend to think of science laboratories, they tend to think of physics laboratories. Beyond physics laboratories, however, beyond the productive overlap of the DOE and computer science, there are many other possible types of science laboratories and computer science can advantage each (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branches_of_science, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_science). Many branches of science can be prefixed with the adjective computational, for example, when considering research topics possible at new multidisciplinary FFRDC's. FFRDC's are presently densely located in California and Virginia and it occurs that many more states across the nation could be enhanced by new FFRDC's for multidisciplinary scientific research and development.

On the topic of cyberpolicy, two pertinent topics include: (1) there exist computer systems and technologies which are more secure than civilian systems, military computer systems; (2) a new information network can be constructed for the dissemination of computer security information between computer scientists to enhance the instantaneous well-informedness of computer software developers and computer security personnel, personnel across the nation responsible for securing each computer, computer system, and computer network, resulting in a reduction of computer security problems and incidents.

Americans are dissatisfied with the United States' cyberpolicy. No American wants to be surveilled by law enforcement, military, or by whatever the DHS is. Would we have future Americans believe that Americans in the early 21st century wanted such cyberpolicies for themselves and for future Americans? Would we have future Americans believe that we wanted to sacrifice liberty for a sense of security?

The Bush administration put forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we demand. The construction of a new computer security communication network is both timely and appropriate.

As the United States approaches a fiscal cliff, we can consider that our tax dollars can be better spent than on previous cyberpolicy approaches and other remnant policy items from the previous administration. As we move forward, for numerous reasons including: stimulating the economy, job creation, and preparedness for excellence in STEM education with digital textbooks, our plans for leaping across the fiscal chasm can and should include a megaproject, the construction of a large number of new scientific laboratories across the United States, an investment in our American future.

Kind regards,

Adam Sobieski