Quantcast

URI Registration - limited release / commercial application

Threaded

URI Registration - limited release / commercial application

Peter Johnson

Good afternoon,

I found this email address while researching URI Scheme registration.  If this is not the correct list, please direct me elsewhere.

I’m creating a URI scheme that is intended to be used only by users of our commercial software.  The scheme name will be the same as one of our software products. For very limited-use schemes, is it necessary to submit a provisional registration as per https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp35#section-7 ?

-Peter

Peter Johnson
Senior Software Engineer
e: [hidden email] | www.incontextsolutions.com

Connect with InContext Solutions:
Chicago | New York | Minneapolis | London

Threaded

Re: URI Registration - limited release / commercial application

Martin J. Dürst
On 2016/01/08 22:30, Peter Johnson wrote:
> I found this email address while researching URI Scheme registration.  If this is not the correct list, please direct me elsewhere.

This is a good place to ask such questions.

> I'm creating a URI scheme that is intended to be used only by users of our commercial software.  The scheme name will be the same as one of our software products. For very limited-use schemes, is it necessary to submit a provisional registration as per https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp35#section-7 ?

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp35#section-6:

    As such, a unique namespace MUST be used and 'provisional'
    registration is strongly encouraged (unless the scheme name is
    constructed from a domain name), as discussed in Section 3.8.

"very limited use" isn't guaranteed to stay that way.

Regards,   Martin.

Threaded

Re: URI Registration - limited release / commercial application

Graham Klyne-2
On 11/01/2016 01:52, Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> On 2016/01/08 22:30, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> I found this email address while researching URI Scheme registration.  If this
>> is not the correct list, please direct me elsewhere.
>
> This is a good place to ask such questions.
>
>> I'm creating a URI scheme that is intended to be used only by users of our
>> commercial software.  The scheme name will be the same as one of our software
>> products. For very limited-use schemes, is it necessary to submit a
>> provisional registration as per https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp35#section-7 ?
>
> See https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp35#section-6:
>
>     As such, a unique namespace MUST be used and 'provisional'
>     registration is strongly encouraged (unless the scheme name is
>     constructed from a domain name), as discussed in Section 3.8.
>
> "very limited use" isn't guaranteed to stay that way.

+1

It's also worth noting that provisional registration is very lightweight.  It
doesn't guarantee any kind of lock on the scheme name, but it does serve to
alert other developers to what you are doing.

#g
--

Threaded

RE: URI Registration - limited release / commercial application

Peter Johnson
Thank you both.  We will be going ahead with a domain-name-constructed scheme as per 3.8.

-Peter

Peter Johnson
Senior Software Engineer
m: 414.975.3008