Tools to revive an old-ish TR and convert it to an RFC?

Tools to revive an old-ish TR and convert it to an RFC?

Thomas Roessler

(resending; first attempt hasn't made it to the list archive)

The XML Security Specifications Maintenance WG [1] will soon be in
the business of editing xmldsig-core (this round of edits will be
relatively limited, but more work might be ahead in the future); the
group is chartered to submit a version of its edits to the IETF for
publication as an RFC.

That brings up at least two important editing toolchain issues:

- What's the general wisdom in terms of converting an existing TR
  from HTML to xmlspec -- to what extent is that even deemed
  feasible with tools (i.e., how much information loss is there in
  the conversion from xmlspec to html), are there tools that go part
  of the way, or would some poor editor be in for a rather
  terrifying manual conversion job?

  (The obvious alternative would be to edit the HTML directly.)

- Assuming we'd go for xmlspec, is there any existing tooling that
  would lend itself to easily producing an RFC out of this, e.g. by
  transforming xmlspec into the format defined in the latest
  draft-mrose-writing-rfcs [2], and then using the tools that are
  common in the IETF?

1. http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/
2. http://xml.resource.org/authoring/draft-mrose-writing-rfcs.html

--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <[hidden email]>

Re: Tools to revive an old-ish TR and convert it to an RFC?

Norman Walsh-3
/ Thomas Roessler <[hidden email]> was heard to say:
| - What's the general wisdom in terms of converting an existing TR
|   from HTML to xmlspec -- to what extent is that even deemed
|   feasible with tools (i.e., how much information loss is there in
|   the conversion from xmlspec to html), are there tools that go part
|   of the way, or would some poor editor be in for a rather
|   terrifying manual conversion job?
|
|   (The obvious alternative would be to edit the HTML directly.)

A little XSLT would no doubt take you a good deal of the way, though
I'm not aware of any existing XSLT for that purpose.

| - Assuming we'd go for xmlspec, is there any existing tooling that
|   would lend itself to easily producing an RFC out of this, e.g. by
|   transforming xmlspec into the format defined in the latest
|   draft-mrose-writing-rfcs [2], and then using the tools that are
|   common in the IETF?

The XML for RFCs is ... idiosyncratic. I think it'd be a challenge
to go from anything even moderately complicated to that format
cleanly.

I might, in your shoes, be tempted to author in the RFC markup and
then convert that into W3C HTML. Not that that's going to be easy
either, given the limitations of the RFC vocabulary.

| 1. http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/
| 2. http://xml.resource.org/authoring/draft-mrose-writing-rfcs.html

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect

Re: Tools to revive an old-ish TR and convert it to an RFC?

Julian Reschke

Norman Walsh schrieb:

> / Thomas Roessler <[hidden email]> was heard to say:
> | - What's the general wisdom in terms of converting an existing TR
> |   from HTML to xmlspec -- to what extent is that even deemed
> |   feasible with tools (i.e., how much information loss is there in
> |   the conversion from xmlspec to html), are there tools that go part
> |   of the way, or would some poor editor be in for a rather
> |   terrifying manual conversion job?
> |
> |   (The obvious alternative would be to edit the HTML directly.)
>
> A little XSLT would no doubt take you a good deal of the way, though
> I'm not aware of any existing XSLT for that purpose.
>
> | - Assuming we'd go for xmlspec, is there any existing tooling that
> |   would lend itself to easily producing an RFC out of this, e.g. by
> |   transforming xmlspec into the format defined in the latest
> |   draft-mrose-writing-rfcs [2], and then using the tools that are
> |   common in the IETF?
>
> The XML for RFCs is ... idiosyncratic. I think it'd be a challenge
> to go from anything even moderately complicated to that format
> cleanly.

Well, most of the time it would need to strip things out. Remember it's
been designed to produce the ASCII test documents the RFC Editor likes
to publish.

> I might, in your shoes, be tempted to author in the RFC markup and
> then convert that into W3C HTML. Not that that's going to be easy
> either, given the limitations of the RFC vocabulary.
>
> | 1. http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/
> | 2. http://xml.resource.org/authoring/draft-mrose-writing-rfcs.html

I'm personally quite happy with the xml2rfc grammar, although of course
a few extensions make things nicer (see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#extensions>).
I do have a proof-of-concept XSLT for xml2rfc->xmlspec, let me know if
you're interested...

Best regards, Julian