Tools to revive an old-ish TR and convert it to an RFC?

Tools to revive an old-ish TR and convert it to an RFC?

Thomas Roessler

The XML Security Specifications Maintenance WG [1] will soon be in
the business of editing xmldsig-core (this round of edits will be
relatively limited, but more work might be ahead in the future); the
group is chartered to submit a version of its edits to the IETF for
publication as an RFC.

That brings up at least two important editing toolchain issues:

- What's the general wisdom in terms of converting an existing TR
  from HTML to xmlspec -- to what extent is that even deemed
  feasible with tools (i.e., how much information loss is there in
  the conversion from xmlspec to html), are there tools that go part
  of the way, or would some poor editor be in for a rather
  terrifying manual conversion job?

  (The obvious alternative would be to edit the HTML directly.)

- Assuming we'd go for xmlspec, is there any existing tooling that
  would lend itself to easily producing an RFC out of this, e.g. by
  transforming xmlspec into the format defined in the latest
  draft-mrose-writing-rfcs [2], and then using the tools that are
  common in the IETF?

1. http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/
2. http://xml.resource.org/authoring/draft-mrose-writing-rfcs.html

Thomas Roessler, W3C  <[hidden email]>

Re: Tools to revive an old-ish TR and convert it to an RFC?

Julian Reschke

Thomas Roessler schrieb:
> - Assuming we'd go for xmlspec, is there any existing tooling that
>   would lend itself to easily producing an RFC out of this, e.g. by
>   transforming xmlspec into the format defined in the latest
>   draft-mrose-writing-rfcs [2], and then using the tools that are
>   common in the IETF?

I have an XSLT that does (large parts of) the other direction
(RFC2629->xmlspec). From that experience, it's probably simple to
implement *something* that transforms most of the format, but you'll
need to keep in mind that both formats are not equally expressive, and
that the IETF output format still needs to be readable in plain ASCII,
so you may have to massage the input file as well.

Best regards, Julian

P.S.: I can help with doing this, if you choose to go this way.