Tell me the solution, not just the problem

Tell me the solution, not just the problem

Philip Tory at Authorgraphic

Address of the document I was checking: http://www.technical-writer.co.uk/

The Error message tells me something is wrong, but fails to suggest a solution. This is not helpful unless I’m a guru who would probably not have got it wrong in the first place.

E.g. Unable to Determine Parse Mode!

“The validator can process documents either as XML (for document types such as XHTML, SVG, etc.) or SGML (for HTML 4.01 and prior versions). For this document, the information available was not sufficient to determine the parsing mode unambiguously, because:

• the MIME Media Type (text/html) can be used for XML or SGML document types

•the Document Type (-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en) is not in the validator's catalog

•No XML declaration (e.g <?xml version="1.0"?>) could be found at the beginning of the document.

•No XML namespace (e.g <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">) could be found at the root of the document.

As a default, the validator is falling back to SGML mode.”

And:

Validation Output: 1 Error

Error Line 1, Column 61: invalid formal public identifier "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en": invalid public text class <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">

This is not very helpful: OK, so tell me what I should (or could) be using! HELP!

Sincerely,

Philip Tory

Authorgraphic Ltd
Unit 29, King Edwards Avenue, Gloucester GL1 5DD   UK
Tel: 01452 - 500 639
www.authorgraphic.co.uk  www.technicalwritingcourse.co.uk

Re: Tell me the solution, not just the problem

Rui del-Negro
> The Error message tells me something is wrong, but fails to suggest a
> solution.

Well, it can't guess which solution you want to use, so it tells you why
it's confused. The solution depends on what you were actually trying to do.

Assuming you want it to be parsed as HTML 4 transitional, replace the
doctype line with this:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Note that case is important; don't change things that are in lowercase to
uppercase or vice versa.

More info here:

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

RMN
~~~

Re: Tell me the solution, not just the problem

Eric Richards-2
How do I get out of this list it is useless

my problems have not been fixed with the validator