TR report with more open license

Anne van Kesteren-2

Hi,

For the authoring note the HTML WG is developing the WG would like to use
a more open license (MIT license comes to mind), so that the document text
can be reused by software projects, such as the HTML5 validator, and
elsewhere. Do any guidelines need to be changed or is doing such a thing
just a matter of overruling pubrules?

(HTML WG, ACTION-29)

Kind regards,

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>
<http://www.opera.com/>

Re: TR report with more open license

Ian Jacobs-2
On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 16:58 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the authoring note the HTML WG is developing the WG would like to use
> a more open license (MIT license comes to mind), so that the document text
> can be reused by software projects, such as the HTML5 validator, and
> elsewhere. Do any guidelines need to be changed or is doing such a thing
> just a matter of overruling pubrules?

Hi Anne,

We've begun discussions in the Team on this. Please allow some time
for us to converge.

Thank you,

 _ Ian

--
Ian Jacobs ([hidden email])   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

Re: TR report with more open license

Lachlan Hunt

Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 16:58 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> For the authoring note the HTML WG is developing the WG would like to use
>> a more open license (MIT license comes to mind), so that the document text
>> can be reused by software projects, such as the HTML5 validator, and
>> elsewhere. Do any guidelines need to be changed or is doing such a thing
>> just a matter of overruling pubrules?
>
> We've begun discussions in the Team on this. Please allow some time
> for us to converge.

Has there been any further progress on this issue?

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/
http://www.opera.com/

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 20:03 +0200, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 16:58 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >> For the authoring note the HTML WG is developing the WG would like to use
> >> a more open license (MIT license comes to mind), so that the document text
> >> can be reused by software projects, such as the HTML5 validator, and
> >> elsewhere. Do any guidelines need to be changed or is doing such a thing
> >> just a matter of overruling pubrules?
> >
> > We've begun discussions in the Team on this. Please allow some time
> > for us to converge.
>
> Has there been any further progress on this issue?

Hi Lachlan,

We've got a proposal out to the W3C Advisory Committee. If you've
got member access, see:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2008AprJun/0050.html

We've asked for feedback before 5 May. I hope we'll have a license
package available shortly thereafter.

 _ Ian

Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 20:03 +0200, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>
> We've got a proposal out to the W3C Advisory Committee. If you've
> got member access, see:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2008AprJun/0050.html

I see that discussion specifically refers to test suites. Will the
proposed licence also be usable by the HTML5 Authoring Guide, and
potentially other documents?

http://www.opera.com/

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 20:16 +0200, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > We've got a proposal out to the W3C Advisory Committee. If you've
> > got member access, see:
> >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2008AprJun/0050.html
>
> I see that discussion specifically refers to test suites. Will the
> proposed licence also be usable by the HTML5 Authoring Guide, and
> potentially other documents?

I don't know. That is not currently the intent, as far as I know.

 _ Ian