TAG First Public Working Draft: Usage Patterns For Client-Side URI parameters

TAG First Public Working Draft: Usage Patterns For Client-Side URI parameters

noah_mendelsohn
The TAG is pleased to announce the publication of a first public working
draft titled "Usage Patterns For Client-Side URI parameters" [1,2].  From
the Absract:

=======
[...] As highly interactive applications get built using Web parts (HTML,
CSS and JavaScript component resources that are themselves Web addressible
— see [tvr-cacm2009], there is an increasing need for encoding interaction
state as part of the URI. The Web is beginning to discover and codify
design patterns based on fragment identifiers for many of these use cases.

This draft finding is being prepared in response to TAG ISSUE-60 . This
document explores the issues that arise in this context, and attempts to
define best practices that help:

    *   Create URIs for intermediate pages in a Web application so that
the back button does the right thing
    *   Enable clients to address into specific points in a stream of
content, e.g., video.

The goal of this finding is to initially collect the various usage
scenarios that are leading to innovative uses of client-side URI
parameters, along with the solutions that have been developed by the Web
community. When this exercise is complete, this finding will conclude by
ensuring that these design patterns are mutually compatible. If some of
these usage patterns are identified as being in conflict, we will
recommend best practices that help side-step such conflicts. We encourage
the wider Web community to point us at emerging usage scenarios and design
patterns so that we maximize our chances of arriving at a final finding
that helps move forward the architecture of the Web in a self-consistent
manner.
=======

The TAG welcomes comments, which should be sent to [hidden email].  Thank
you.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/hash-in-uri/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-hash-in-uri-20090415/