Support for the new W3C license?

Arnaud Le Hors
Hi,
The Social Web WG has adopted the new W3C Software and Document license for all its deliverables and I'd like to know how to do that with respec.
Looking into the documentation I don't see anything related to controlling the license.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Software Group

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Marcos Caceres-4
Hi Arnaud,

I'm having trouble finding this groups specs. Can you send me a pointer and I can take a look.

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Arnaud Le Hors
This is for the Activity Streams 2.0 spec.

Editor's draft: http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams2.html
Repo: https://github.com/jasnell/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams

Thanks.
--

Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]> wrote on 09/25/2015 10:43:12 AM:

> From: Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]>

> To: [hidden email], Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
> Date: 09/25/2015 10:43 AM
> Subject: Re: Support for the new W3C license?
>

> Hi Arnaud,
>

> On September 25, 2015 at 1:27:57 PM, Arnaud Le Hors ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Hi,
> > The Social Web WG has adopted the new W3C Software and Document license
> > for all its deliverables and I'd like to know how to do that with respec.
> > Looking into the documentation I don't see anything related to controlling
> > the license.
>
> I'm having trouble finding this groups specs. Can you send me a
> pointer and I can take a look.

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Philippe Le Hegaret

Marcos kindly did a pull request to add support for the new license:
  https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/506

Interestingly, with more groups adopting the license, it will be good to
switch the default in the near future.

Philippe

On September 26, 2015 at 7:03:19 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Marcos kindly did a pull request to add support for the new license:
> https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/506

Ok, shipped this feature. In ReSpec, just add the following to your config:

```
license: "w3c-software-doc",
```

That's it! You should now see:

"Copyright © 2015 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio, Beihang). W3C liability, trademark and document + software use rules apply."

If not, "shift-refresh" or, worst case, clear your cache.

> Interestingly, with more groups adopting the license, it will be good to
> switch the default in the near future.

Would be great!

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Shane McCarron
Did you update the documentation too?

Shane McCarron

On September 28, 2015 at 7:25:24 PM, Shane McCarron ([hidden email]) wrote:
> Did you update the documentation too?

Not yet. Filed a bug tho:
https://github.com/w3c/respec-docs/issues/36

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Arnaud Le Hors
Thanks again Marcos for the quick response! Awesome.
--

Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]> wrote on 09/28/2015 03:29:59 PM:

> From: Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]>

> To: Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], Arnaud Le
> Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS

> Date: 09/28/2015 03:30 PM
> Subject: Re: Support for the new W3C license?
>

> On September 26, 2015 at 7:03:19 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:
> >
> > Marcos kindly did a pull request to add support for the new license:

https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/506

> Ok, shipped this feature. In ReSpec, just add the following to your config:
>
> ```
> license: "w3c-software-doc",
> ```
>
> That's it! You should now see:
>
> "Copyright © 2015 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio, Beihang). W3C liability,
> trademark and document + software use rules apply."
>
> If not, "shift-refresh" or, worst case, clear your cache.
>

> > Interestingly, with more groups adopting the license, it will be good to
> > switch the default in the near future.
>
> Would be great!

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Arnaud Le Hors
Unfortunately, we aren't quite done yet. The pubrules checker also needs updating.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Software Group

----- Forwarded by Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM on 09/29/2015 10:21 AM -----

From:        James M Snell/Fresno/IBM
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        09/29/2015 09:09 AM
Subject:        Re: Fw: Support for the new W3C license?

Not quite:

https://labs.w3.org/echidna/api/status?id=2a8895f7-9097-4238-9f76-aa80f68646f6

specberus is complaining about the copyright statement.o

- James Snell
[hidden email]
Technology & Partnerships
IBM Open Technologies Architect - Node.js, Mobile Backend & Cloud
(559) 707-6331 (mobile)

We're all set. You should only need to change one setting in the ReSpec set up.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Software Group

----- Forwarded by Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM on 09/28/2015 08:23 PM -----

From:
Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]>
To:
Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Date:
09/28/2015 03:30 PM
Re: Support for the new W3C license?

On September 26, 2015 at 7:03:19 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Marcos kindly did a pull request to add support for the new license:

https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/506

Ok, shipped this feature. In ReSpec, just add the following to your config:

```
license: "w3c-software-doc",
```

That's it! You should now see:

"Copyright © 2015 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio, Beihang). W3C liability, trademark and document + software use rules apply."

If not, "shift-refresh" or, worst case, clear your cache.

> Interestingly, with more groups adopting the license, it will be good to
> switch the default in the near future.

Would be great!

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Philippe Le Hegaret
[+Denis]

On 09/29/2015 01:33 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> Unfortunately, we aren't quite done yet. The pubrules checker also needs
> updating.

It gets an update back in August:

https://github.com/w3c/specberus/commit/99c41ae1608d03e5664ce0f30ba46e193077bb41

The text differs so respec would need to be fixed but... I still can't
get specberus (the pubrules checker used for automatic publishing) to
accept a text. So still looking around before propose a change somewhere.

Philippe

On 09/29/2015 01:39 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> The text differs so respec would need to be fixed but... I still can't
> get specberus (the pubrules checker used for automatic publishing) to
> accept a text. So still looking around before propose a change somewhere.

We need a fix for respec:
   https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/509

and the latest of specberus to get deployed.

Should be all in sync within 12 hours or so.

Philippe

On September 29, 2015 at 2:34:28 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On 09/29/2015 01:39 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> > The text differs so respec would need to be fixed but... I still can't
> > get specberus (the pubrules checker used for automatic publishing) to
> > accept a text. So still looking around before propose a change somewhere.
>
> We need a fix for respec:
> https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/509
>
> and the latest of specberus to get deployed.
>
> Should be all in sync within 12 hours or so.

Fixed in ReSpec.

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Denis Ah-Kang

On 09/30/2015 12:17 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On September 29, 2015 at 2:34:28 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>

>> On 09/29/2015 01:39 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>>> The text differs so respec would need to be fixed but... I still can't
>>> get specberus (the pubrules checker used for automatic publishing) to
>>> accept a text. So still looking around before propose a change somewhere.
>>
>> We need a fix for respec:
>> https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/509
>>
>> and the latest of specberus to get deployed.
>>
>> Should be all in sync within 12 hours or so.
>
> Fixed in ReSpec.

Specberus and Echidna have been deployed with the latest updates.

Denis

Denis Ah-Kang <[hidden email]> wrote on 09/29/2015 09:37:34 PM:

> From: Denis Ah-Kang <[hidden email]>

> To: Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]>, Philippe Le Hegaret
> <[hidden email]>, Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS

> Cc: [hidden email]
> Date: 09/29/2015 09:37 PM
> Subject: Re: Support for the new W3C license?
>

> On 09/30/2015 12:17 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> >> We need a fix for respec:

https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/509

> >> and the latest of specberus to get deployed.
> >>
> >> Should be all in sync within 12 hours or so.
> >
> > Fixed in ReSpec.
> >

> Specberus and Echidna have been deployed with the latest updates.
>
> Denis

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Arnaud Le Hors
Hi Denis,
Unfortunately I'm told there is still a problem:

From:        James M Snell <[hidden email]>
To:        Sandro Hawke <[hidden email]>, Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Date:        10/01/2015 08:37 AM
Subject:        still having echidna issues

Attempting to publish the updated drafts with the new license. Still
getting errors related to the copyright statement.

Name: ascore
Status Key: 31b1b7da-4f87-42d9-9b53-4d2ba7acd7ff
Last Attempt: 2015-10-01T15:25:11.877Z
id
31b1b7da-4f87-42d9-9b53-4d2ba7acd7ff
url
http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams-core/manifest
version                                    1.3.1
version-specberus                          1.2.1
decision
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/2015-09-15-minutes
results.status                             failure
results.jobs.retrieve-resources.status     ok
results.jobs.retrieve-resources.errors
results.jobs.specberus.status              failure
results.jobs.specberus.errors.0.key        no-match
results.jobs.specberus.errors.0.type       headers.copyright
results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.key        link-text
results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.extra.href
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-documents
results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.extra.text document use
results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.type       headers.copyright

--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Software Group

Denis Ah-Kang <[hidden email]> wrote on 09/29/2015 09:37:34 PM:

> From: Denis Ah-Kang <[hidden email]>

> To: Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]>, Philippe Le Hegaret
> <[hidden email]>, Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS

> Cc: [hidden email]
> Date: 09/29/2015 09:37 PM
> Subject: Re: Support for the new W3C license?
>

> On 09/30/2015 12:17 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> >> We need a fix for respec:

https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/509

> >> and the latest of specberus to get deployed.
> >>
> >> Should be all in sync within 12 hours or so.
> >
> > Fixed in ReSpec.
> >

> Specberus and Echidna have been deployed with the latest updates.
>
> Denis

Re: Support for the new W3C license?

Denis Ah-Kang
Hi Arnaud,

The copyright in [1] should be updated:
[[
<a
href="http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Copyright">Copyright</a>
© 2015 <a href="http://www.w3.org/"><abbr title="World Wide Web
href="http://www.csail.mit.edu/"><abbr title="Massachusetts Institute of
title="European Research Consortium for Informatics and
Mathematics">ERCIM</abbr></a>, <a
href="http://www.keio.ac.jp/">Keio</a>, <a
href="http://ev.buaa.edu.cn/">Beihang</a>), All Rights Reserved. <abbr
title="World Wide Web Consortium">W3C</abbr> <a
href="http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Legal_Disclaimer">
liability</a>, <a
href="http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#W3C_Trademarks">trademark</a>
and <a
href="https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/copyright-software-and-document">permissive
document license</a> rules apply.
]]

Also the date/uris should match the current date.

Hope that helps,

Denis

[1]
http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams-core/Overview.html

On 10/2/15 19:51, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> [...]
>  > >> On 09/29/2015 01:39 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>  > >>> The text differs so respec would need to be fixed but... I still
> can't
>  > >>> get specberus (the pubrules checker used for automatic publishing) to
>  > >>> accept a text. So still looking around before propose a change
> somewhere.
>  > >>
>  > >> We need a fix for respec:
>  > >> https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/509
>  > >>
>  > >> and the latest of specberus to get deployed.
>  > >>
>  > >> Should be all in sync within 12 hours or so.
>  > >
>  > > Fixed in ReSpec.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Specberus and Echidna have been deployed with the latest updates.

Can someone help me spot the differences in the ReSpec output? I'm having a hard time seeing them.

On October 2, 2015 at 1:25:02 PM, Denis Ah-Kang ([hidden email]) wrote:
> [...]

> > results.jobs.specberus.errors.0.type headers.copyright
> > results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.key link-text
> > results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.extra.href
> > http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-documents
> > results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.extra.text document use
> > results.jobs.specberus.errors.1.type headers.copyright
> >
> > --
> > Arnaud Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies -
> > IBM Software Group
> >

> > Denis Ah-Kang wrote on 09/29/2015 09:37:34 PM:
> >
> > > From: Denis Ah-Kang
> > > To: Marcos Caceres , Philippe Le Hegaret
> > > , Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
> > > Cc: [hidden email]
> > > Date: 09/29/2015 09:37 PM
> > > Subject: Re: Support for the new W3C license?

> > can't
> > somewhere.

> > > Specberus and Echidna have been deployed with the latest updates.

Hi Marcos,
There is no more problem. We've now successfully published two specs with the new license using Echidna.
Thanks everyone for the help.

On October 7, 2015 at 1:12:08 PM, Arnaud Le Hors ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Hi Marcos,
> There is no more problem. We've now successfully published two
> specs with the new license using Echidna.
> Thanks everyone for the help.

Np, great to hear it all worked out ok :)