Support for arbitrary xml vocabularies

thomas.comiotto

Hi devs

I have a question not directly related to Amaya development but maybe
somebody likes to answer nevertheless or point me to a appropriate
place to discuss the matter.

I am currently working on a WYSIWYG-XML-editor extension for Firefox
that will (besides other things) support XTiger. The editor lets you
edit a xhtml view of an arbitrary xml doctype based on xslt transform
and schema/DTD. Guided editing is achieved by a either XTiger or a
combination of XTiger (libraries only) and schema/DTD.

Support for arbitrary xml vocabularies is a strong requirement, so
unlike Amaya my editor has no hardwired knowledge about the semantics
of a given target format. The data model that is dealt with by high
level edit operations (e.g. merge two table cells, make a selection
bold, insert a link, find a document anchor) has to be configurable
with regards to a particular target format - given that the target
format has ways to express it.

For example, users can specify how tables, links, embedded objects
etc. are expressed in a given target vocabulary.

I did some extensive web search to find a standardized configuration
format suitable for the job but didn't find anything decent. What
would be needed is a simple syntax to bind a generalized vocabulary
to a given target markup. So I came up with my own rdf lingo that
does just that.

<Binding rdf:about="format:strong">
   <targetElement name="formatted" namespaceURI="http://www.elml.ch"/>
   <targetAttribute name="style" value="bold"/>
</Binding>

<Binding rdf:about="format:columnDeclaration">
   <targetElement name="columns" namespace="http://www.mozilla.org/
keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"/>
</Binding>

<Binding rdf:about="link:href">
   <targetAttribute name="href" namespaceURI="http://www.w3.org/1999/
xhtml"/>
</Binding>

In combination with schema/DTD data this seems to give me everything
I need for providing users with the high level stuff they want.

My question is: has support for arbitrary xml vocabularies been
considered for Amaya? If so, have you guys any hints or pointers to a
standardized solution?

Best Regards
Thomas

-----
                         Thomas Comiotto
[hidden email]

                         Universitaet Zuerich
                         Informatikdienste                Tel: +41 44
63 54541
                         Winterthurerstrasse 190               +41 44
63 43333
                         CH-8057 Zuerich                  Fax: +41 44
63 54505

Re: Support for arbitrary xml vocabularies

Irene Vatton

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 11:30, Thomas Comiotto wrote:

> Hi devs
>
> I have a question not directly related to Amaya development but maybe
> somebody likes to answer nevertheless or point me to a appropriate
> place to discuss the matter.
>
> I am currently working on a WYSIWYG-XML-editor extension for Firefox
> that will (besides other things) support XTiger. The editor lets you
> edit a xhtml view of an arbitrary xml doctype based on xslt transform
> and schema/DTD. Guided editing is achieved by a either XTiger or a
> combination of XTiger (libraries only) and schema/DTD.
>
> Support for arbitrary xml vocabularies is a strong requirement, so
> unlike Amaya my editor has no hardwired knowledge about the semantics
> of a given target format. The data model that is dealt with by high
> level edit operations (e.g. merge two table cells, make a selection
> bold, insert a link, find a document anchor) has to be configurable
> with regards to a particular target format - given that the target
> format has ways to express it.
>
> For example, users can specify how tables, links, embedded objects
> etc. are expressed in a given target vocabulary.
>
> I did some extensive web search to find a standardized configuration
> format suitable for the job but didn't find anything decent. What
> would be needed is a simple syntax to bind a generalized vocabulary
> to a given target markup. So I came up with my own rdf lingo that
> does just that.
>

> <Binding rdf:about="format:strong">
>    <targetElement name="formatted" namespaceURI="http://www.elml.ch"/>
>    <targetAttribute name="style" value="bold"/>
> </Binding>
>
> <Binding rdf:about="format:columnDeclaration">
>    <targetElement name="columns" namespace="http://www.mozilla.org/
> keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"/>
> </Binding>
>
> <Binding rdf:about="link:href">
>    <targetAttribute name="href" namespaceURI="http://www.w3.org/1999/
> xhtml"/>
> </Binding>
>

> In combination with schema/DTD data this seems to give me everything
> I need for providing users with the high level stuff they want.
>
> My question is: has support for arbitrary xml vocabularies been
> considered for Amaya?

Not yet.

--
     Irène.