Still alive?

Dorian Taylor (Lists)
Hello,

I was wondering what the status on this work was. In particular, how
obsolete are the Mozilla/Firefox extensions?

Dorian Taylor
http://doriantaylor.com/

Re: Still alive?

Laurian Gridinoc-2
On 21 March 2010 02:21, dorian taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was wondering what the status on this work was. In particular, how
obsolete are the Mozilla/Firefox extensions?

AFAIK http://xpointerlib.mozdev.org/ (offspring of Annozilla) works perfectly if you need to build things on XPointer; I recently used it within Mozilla Ubiquity and Mozilla Jetpack.

Laurian Gridinoc, purl.org/net/laur

Re: Still alive?

Dorian Taylor (Lists)

On 20-Mar-10, at 7:35 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> On 21 March 2010 02:21, dorian taylor
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was wondering what the status on this work was. In particular, how
> obsolete are the Mozilla/Firefox extensions?
>
> AFAIK http://xpointerlib.mozdev.org/ (offspring of Annozilla) works
> perfectly if you need to build things on XPointer; I recently used
> it within Mozilla Ubiquity and Mozilla Jetpack.

Odd, I just pulled it (along with Annozilla, annotations) from CVS
because their install.rdf files wouldn't allow FF 3.6.
nsIXPointerService does not seem to get registered. I don't have a lot
of experience diagnosing FF extensions, so that's the best I can say.

--
Dorian Taylor
http://doriantaylor.com/

Re: Still alive?

Laurian Gridinoc
On 21 March 2010 02:41, Dorian Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 20-Mar-10, at 7:35 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

On 21 March 2010 02:21, dorian taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was wondering what the status on this work was. In particular, how
obsolete are the Mozilla/Firefox extensions?

AFAIK http://xpointerlib.mozdev.org/ (offspring of Annozilla) works perfectly if you need to build things on XPointer; I recently used it within Mozilla Ubiquity and Mozilla Jetpack.

Odd, I just pulled it (along with Annozilla, annotations) from CVS because their install.rdf files wouldn't allow FF 3.6. nsIXPointerService does not seem to get registered. I don't have a lot of experience diagnosing FF extensions, so that's the best I can say.

You can get around of FF version check if you install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter

On 20-Mar-10, at 7:46 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> You can get around of FF version check if you install the Add-on
> Compatibility Reporter

Okay, got xpointerlib+annotations+annozilla installed (for some reason
it didn't like my XPI builds). Objective is transparent FF bookmarking
-> my own Annotea server.

Ideas? :)

--
Dorian Taylor
http://doriantaylor.com/

Re: Still alive?

Laurian Gridinoc
On 21 March 2010 03:05, Dorian Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20-Mar-10, at 7:46 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

You can get around of FF version check if you install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter

Okay, got xpointerlib+annotations+annozilla installed (for some reason it didn't like my XPI builds). Objective is transparent FF bookmarking -> my own Annotea server.

Ideas? :)

Is there any installable Annotea server anymore? hmmm, if I were you I would build my own Annozilla-like extension (over xpointerlib), that would follow http://www.openannotation.org style and persist the data in a remote triple store installation like 4store.org or on a hosted RDF storage like the Talis platform.

BTW, check http://citability.org and their annotation backend https://launchpad.net/citability

Laurian

Re: Still alive?

Dorian Taylor (Lists)

On 20-Mar-10, at 8:13 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> Is there any installable Annotea server anymore? hmmm, if I were you
> I would build my own Annozilla-like extension (over xpointerlib),
> that would follow http://www.openannotation.org style and persist
> the data in a remote triple store installation like 4store.org or on
> a hosted RDF storage like the Talis platform.

Not concerned about a working server, I'll just implement the protocol
over top of my existing stuff. Will look at openannotation.org. #1
thing I want to do is click the little star in FF and have that go to
my own back end.

> BTW, check http://citability.org and their annotation backend https://launchpad.net/citability

Thanks!

--
Dorian Taylor
http://doriantaylor.com/

Re: Still alive?

Matthew Wilson-4
On 21/03/2010 02:21, dorian taylor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering what the status on this work was. In particular, how
> obsolete are the Mozilla/Firefox extensions?

I haven't looked at making them FF3.6 compatible yet, partly because
there didn't seem to be any interest.

Matthew

Re: Still alive?

Matthew Wilson-4
On 21/03/2010 02:41, Dorian Taylor wrote:

> On 20-Mar-10, at 7:35 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:
>
>> On 21 March 2010 02:21, dorian taylor <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> I was wondering what the status on this work was. In particular, how
>> obsolete are the Mozilla/Firefox extensions?
>>
>> AFAIK http://xpointerlib.mozdev.org/ (offspring of Annozilla) works
>> perfectly if you need to build things on XPointer; I recently used it
>> within Mozilla Ubiquity and Mozilla Jetpack.
>

> Odd, I just pulled it (along with Annozilla, annotations) from CVS
> because their install.rdf files wouldn't allow FF 3.6.
> nsIXPointerService does not seem to get registered. I don't have a lot
> of experience diagnosing FF extensions, so that's the best I can say.

Probably there was a problem with the binary components. I've updated
the extension now so that it is marked as compatible with 3.6. I'll look
at annozilla/annotations later.

 > #1 thing I want to do is click the little star in FF and have that
 > go to my own back end.

That isn't something which annozilla does.

Matthew

Re: Still alive?

Dorian Taylor (Lists)
Hi Matthew,

On 21-Mar-10, at 12:56 AM, Matthew Wilson wrote:

>> Odd, I just pulled it (along with Annozilla, annotations) from CVS
>> because their install.rdf files wouldn't allow FF 3.6.
>> nsIXPointerService does not seem to get registered. I don't have a
>> lot
>> of experience diagnosing FF extensions, so that's the best I can say.
>>

> Probably there was a problem with the binary components. I've
> updated the extension now so that it is marked as compatible with
> 3.6. I'll look at annozilla/annotations later.

Strange. Are there parts that don't get rebuilt with the makefile?

> > #1 thing I want to do is click the little star in FF and have that
> > go to my own back end.
>
> That isn't something which annozilla does.

I had intended to write that part myself. I was mostly looking for
something that implemented the Annotea interface so I wasn't starting
from scratch. I'll keep you apprised of my progress!

Dorian Taylor
http://doriantaylor.com/

Re: Still alive?

Matthew Wilson-4
On 21/03/2010 08:15, Dorian Taylor (Lists) wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> On 21-Mar-10, at 12:56 AM, Matthew Wilson wrote:
>
>>> Odd, I just pulled it (along with Annozilla, annotations) from CVS
>>> because their install.rdf files wouldn't allow FF 3.6.
>>> nsIXPointerService does not seem to get registered. I don't have a lot
>>> of experience diagnosing FF extensions, so that's the best I can say.
>>>

>> Probably there was a problem with the binary components. I've updated
>> the extension now so that it is marked as compatible with 3.6. I'll
>> look at annozilla/annotations later.
>
> Strange. Are there parts that don't get rebuilt with the makefile?

The binary files are checked in to CVS too, so it may be that make
didn't see the need to rebuild them. I thought that the checked-in
versions were correct, but perhaps there's some problem with them. (Or
maybe it's another issue altogether - it just seems the most likely
problem.)

>> > #1 thing I want to do is click the little star in FF and have that
>> > go to my own back end.
>>
>> That isn't something which annozilla does.
>

> I had intended to write that part myself. I was mostly looking for
> something that implemented the Annotea interface so I wasn't starting
> from scratch. I'll keep you apprised of my progress!

OK, great. There's an annozilla mailing list, bugzilla etc at
http://annozilla.mozdev.org/.

Matthew

Re: Still alive?

Charles McCathieNevile-2
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 04:20:28 +0100, Dorian Taylor (Lists)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20-Mar-10, at 8:13 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:
>
>> Is there any installable Annotea server anymore? hmmm, if I were you I
>> would build my own Annozilla-like extension (over xpointerlib), that
>> would follow http://www.openannotation.org style and persist the data
>> in a remote triple store installation like 4store.org or on a hosted
>> RDF storage like the Talis platform.
>
> Not concerned about a working server, I'll just implement the protocol
> over top of my existing stuff. Will look at openannotation.org. #1 thing
> I want to do is click the little star in FF and have that go to my own
> back end.

Having implemented an annotation server on top of some other server system
a decade or so ago, I recall it being pretty easy. If I had a bit of time
now I guess I could do it with Opera Unite - the hard part isn't the
server, but the user interaction. I can probably do that with userJS,
although I am not sure about creating Xpointers (i.e. that would require
me actually learning new stuff).

If anyone is interested in it as a project I'll happily explain better
what I am thinking.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
http://my.opera.com/chaals       Try Opera: http://www.opera.com

Re: Still alive?

Stephen Crawley-2
Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 04:20:28 +0100, Dorian Taylor (Lists)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 20-Mar-10, at 8:13 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any installable Annotea server anymore? hmmm, if I were you
>>> I would build my own Annozilla-like extension (over xpointerlib),
>>> that would follow http://www.openannotation.org style and persist
>>> the data in a remote triple store installation like 4store.org or on
>>> a hosted RDF storage like the Talis platform.
>>
>> Not concerned about a working server, I'll just implement the
>> protocol over top of my existing stuff. Will look at
>> openannotation.org. #1 thing I want to do is click the little star in
>> FF and have that go to my own back end.
>
> Having implemented an annotation server on top of some other server
> system a decade or so ago, I recall it being pretty easy. If I had a
> bit of time now I guess I could do it with Opera Unite - the hard part
> isn't the server, but the user interaction. I can probably do that
> with userJS, although I am not sure about creating Xpointers (i.e.
> that would require me actually learning new stuff).
>
> If anyone is interested in it as a project I'll happily explain better
> what I am thinking.
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals
Laurian,

Another option that you should consider is Danno.

Danno is an Annotea server implementation that persists annotations to a
local triple store (currently Sesame or Jena SDB or RDB).  Danno also
implements OAI-PMH, and number of annotation query extensions.  The
accompanying Dannotate tool is a multi-browser annotation tool that
supports text and image annotation and has an experimental "live
updates" mechanism.

There are public demo pages for Danno and Dannotate at
http://maenad.itee.uq.edu.au/danno/ and
http://maenad.itee.uq.edu.au/danno/dannotate.html

The Maven site for Danno and Dannotate (and related projects) are online
at http://metadata.net/sf.html and the software is available from
SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/metadata-net/

Danno is currently being used by the Atlas of Living Australia and the
Aus-e-lit project, as well as in some internal projects.  And the
codebase is under active development.  (We're currently working on
access control and user management aspects, and there are other
developments on the horizon.)

-- Steve