Smil 3.0 validation error using metadata element

Smil 3.0 validation error using metadata element

Vandermillen, Michael

Hi-

The w3 SMIL 3.0 site gives examples of adding rdf content to the metadata tag:

http://www.w3.org/TR/smil/smil-metadata.html#edef-metadata

However, these examples do not validate with the DTD provided:

SMIL30Language.dtd from http://www.w3.org/TR/smil/DTD.zip

This DTD defines the metadata element as an empty element. Sorry if I'm missing something basic. Please let me know if I should be asking elsewhere.

Thanks-

Michael Vandermillen

Digital Library Software Engineer

Office for Information Systems

Harvard Library

90 Mt. Auburn St.

Cambridge, MA 02138

978-495-3724

Re: Smil 3.0 validation error using metadata element

Sjoerd Mullender-2
On 2011-10-21 15:28, Vandermillen, Michael wrote:

> Hi-
>

> The w3 SMIL 3.0 site gives examples of adding rdf content to the
> metadata tag:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/smil/smil-metadata.html#edef-metadata
>

> However, these examples do not validate with the DTD provided:
>
> SMIL30Language.dtd from http://www.w3.org/TR/smil/DTD.zip
>

> This DTD defines the metadata element as an empty element. Sorry if I'm
> missing something basic. Please let me know if I should be asking elsewhere.
In section 17.4.11 it says:
"The content model of metadata is empty. Profiles that extend the SMIL
3.0 Language profile may define the RDF (Resource Description Framework)
schema to be used in extending the content model of the metadata
element. The Resource Description Framework is defined in the W3C RDF
Recommendation [RDFsyntax]. Other XML-based metadata formats may also be
included in a smiliar manner. Note that if any content is added to the
metadata element, a DOCTYPE must not be declared in the document."

Note the last sentence.

> Thanks-
>

> Michael Vandermillen
>
> Digital Library Software Engineer
>
> Office for Information Systems
>
> Harvard Library
>
> 90 Mt. Auburn St.
>
> Cambridge, MA 02138
>
> 978-495-3724

Sjoerd Mullender

Re: Smil 3.0 validation error using metadata element

Vandermillen, Michael

Hello,

I have a follow up question on this issue. So would it be best practice to simply include the RDF in the metadata element and not declare the smil doctype, as in the examples? Is it necessary to do the additional work to extend the language profile to define RDF?

Thanks-

Michael Vandermillen