Quantcast

Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

Jaime Iniesta-2
Hi, I'm having a weird issue with my local installations of the 1.3 validator.

I'm validating this URL:

If I validate it on http://validator.w3.org it just takes 2 seconds to respond, but when I do it on my local installation, it takes about a minute.

Other URLs are fine, but all within this site are super slow. It does not seem a connectivity issue, as I can browse this site fine, ping, etc.

It does not happen on my local installation of validator.nu.

I've tried on 3 different servers, with ubuntu 32 bits and 64 bits, and different locations (a dedicated server and a pair of virtual boxes on my machine).

I can't find any error on the Apache logs, is there any other log to check? Please notice that the validation goes OK, it returns 7 HTML errors, it's just slow.

Can anyone with a local installation of the validator verify this?

How can I investigate / solve this?

Thanks!

Jaime

Re: Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

Jon Cram
I'm seeing the same on a two local installs of the validator.

On Ubuntu Desktop 12.10, both 64bit (my main machine) and 32 bit (a CI server), validation takes a long, long time (longer than a minute). On both machines I can retrieve the page markup with curl very quickly, there's no network issue. The happens when validating by direct input, so it's not a problem with retrieving the page markup through the validator.

On Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a remotely-hosted dedicated server I'm not getting the issue and the page validates just as quickly as it does at http://validator.w3.org.

I tried playing around with the doctype. Only HTML5 documents validate quickly and this is explained by the fact that HTML5 validation is deferred to the validator.nu validator and hence does not use the w3c validator.

With doctypes that the w3c validator handles and even for simple documents (just an empty head and body wrapped in an html element), validation takes a very, very long time.

I have no idea why. But I can at least confirm that I'm seeing similar issues.

On 01/11/12 21:39, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
[...]

Jaime

RE: Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

Mark Rogers-11

Have you checked it can find a local copy of the DTDs? If it can’t find them, I think it falls back to downloading DTDs from w3.org  (which would result in validation working, but being very slow)

Best Regards

Mark Rogers - [hidden email]
PowerMapper Software Ltd - www.powermapper.com

Registered in Scotland No 362274 Quartermile 2 Edinburgh EH3 9GL

Re: Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

Jaime Iniesta-2
Thanks Jon,

I can confirm that slowness happens when validating by URI and by direct input, so it's not a network issue.

What I don't agree with is that it happens with non-HTML5 documents. I can validate HTML4.01 Transitional pages quickly, for example.

Jon, I wonder what difference is there between your slow installs and fast installs. Why do you think your remotely-hosted dedicated server is quicker than the others? Memory available? Apache tweaks, or maybe using another web server?

I wonder what's the configuration of the official W3C validator server, I mean, amount of memory, web server, linux distro, etc.

I installed the validator following this guide:

Regards,
Jaime

2012/11/2 Jon Cram <[hidden email]>
[...]

Thanks Mark, that's what I'm investigating.

I think that my local install, that includes the collection of DTDs that can be downloaded from w3.org, does not include this particular DTD.

Mark Rogers - <a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;mark.rogers@powermapper.com&#39;);" target="_blank">mark.rogers@...

--
Jaime Iniesta :: Ruby on Rails consultant
http://jaimeiniesta.com

Re: Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

Jaime Iniesta-2
That's it, Mark.

The page I'm trying to validate uses this doctype, that takes a lot of
time to download:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-2.dtd

I installed the validator following the instructions on
http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html#install-download -- the DTD
library that can be downloaded from there doesn't include this
doctype.

http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib.tar.gz

I guess the official validator.w3.org is using a more up-to-date
doctype library than the one that can be downloaded, and that's why
they're faster?

Does anyone know how to get a more up-to-date DTD library, or include
this missing doctype in it?

Thanks!

2012/11/2 Mark Rogers <[hidden email]>:

> Have you checked it can find a local copy of the DTDs? If it can’t find
> them, I think it falls back to downloading DTDs from w3.org  (which would
> result in validation working, but being very slow)
>

> Best Regards
>
> Mark Rogers - [hidden email]
> PowerMapper Software Ltd - www.powermapper.com
>
> Registered in Scotland No 362274 Quartermile 2 Edinburgh EH3 9GL

I did quite a lot of digging through the code to diagnose the same problem a couple of years back.

The conclusion I came to then was the W3 validator was probably downloading the DTDs as well - but the performance hit was much smaller for validator.w3.org since the DTDs and validator are on the same LAN subnet (the validator may also have some caching mechanism for the downloaded DTDs like a local HTTP proxy)

You should be able to get the files from http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/ and save them into sgml-lib/REC-rdfa-syntax-20081014 (looked painful to do by hand since there are a lot to save, and modules include other modules). There's also a list of the files in sgml-lib/catalog.xml - might be possible to write small script to download the missing ones.

Best Regards
Mark Rogers - [hidden email]
PowerMapper Software Ltd - www.powermapper.com
Registered in Scotland No 362274 Quartermile 2 Edinburgh EH3 9GL

The page I'm trying to validate uses this doctype, that takes a lot of time to download:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-2.dtd

I installed the validator following the instructions on http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html#install-download -- the DTD library that can be downloaded from there doesn't include this doctype.

http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib.tar.gz

I guess the official validator.w3.org is using a more up-to-date doctype library than the one that can be downloaded, and that's why they're faster?

Does anyone know how to get a more up-to-date DTD library, or include this missing doctype in it?

Thanks!

2012/11/2 Mark Rogers <[hidden email]>:

> Have you checked it can find a local copy of the DTDs? If it can't
> find them, I think it falls back to downloading DTDs from w3.org
> (which would result in validation working, but being very slow)
>

> Best Regards
>
> Mark Rogers - [hidden email] PowerMapper Software Ltd -
> www.powermapper.com
>
> Registered in Scotland No 362274 Quartermile 2 Edinburgh EH3 9GL

Then the downloadable DTD library should be updated to include the
missing doctypes, I guess. Otherwise, local installs of the validator
will not be complete.

I'll try to find who is in charge for this, and offer my help to get
it completed.

--
Jaime Iniesta :: Ruby on Rails consultant
http://jaimeiniesta.com
http://prorubyteam.com

Re: Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

Ville Skyttä
On 2012-11-04 16:25, Jaime Iniesta wrote:

> Then the downloadable DTD library should be updated to include the
> missing doctypes, I guess. Otherwise, local installs of the validator
> will not be complete.

DTDs are a moving target, so the tarballs do and will continue to get
outdated every now and then, and they will never be complete in the
sense that they'd contain every DTD people might use. They tend to get
updated whenever there's a validator release, but on the other hand the
instance running at validator.w3.org does receive some updates under the
hood between releases. The latest versions of what'll become the next
sgml-lib tarball can be accessed in the Mercurial repository (the
REC-xhtml-rdfa-20120607 subdir contains the DTDs mentioned in this thread):

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/markup-validator/file/tip/htdocs/sgml-lib

There are bz2/zip/gz archive links at the top, although those grab the
entire validator repository, not just the sgml-lib subdir.

2012/11/4 Ville Skyttä <[hidden email]>:
> hood between releases. The latest versions of what'll become the next
> sgml-lib tarball can be accessed in the Mercurial repository (the
> REC-xhtml-rdfa-20120607 subdir contains the DTDs mentioned in this thread):
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/markup-validator/file/tip/htdocs/sgml-lib
>
> There are bz2/zip/gz archive links at the top, although those grab the
> entire validator repository, not just the sgml-lib subdir.

Thanks a lot Ville, I've replaced my sgml-lib subdir with the one from
the Mercurial repository, and this fixes the issue.

Now my local install is fast again :)

Thanks!

Jaime

Re: Slowness on local install, just with some URLs

explorer
Thanks guys, this post help me a lot.
Sleeping' is the only time to feel real freedom.. Cause theres no rules in dreaming..