Semantic Bridge Project / Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

Semantic Bridge Project / Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

Mike Duffy-3

We are very interested in the publication, Best Practice Recipes for
Publishing RDF Vocabularies.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-swbp-vocab-pub-20060314/

This publication is still listed as a "working draft" and was last
updated on 14 March 2006.

We would like to help expand this document into a specification for an
ontology management framework.

Here is some background information on our project:

Semantic Bridge Technologies (located in Austin, TX) is creating a tool
set and the supporting infrastructure for the implementation of the
Semantic Web. We are taking a very pragmatic approach. Our target
audience is comprised of web designers and software engineers who build
Internet applications not theorists who study semantic structures. We
are building a bridge, not an ivory tower.

One of the key aspects of the Semantic Bridge Project is the creation of
the “Semantic Knowledge Repository”. This repository will be the nexus
for managing ontologies (including microformats). It will be the
official “hall of records” for the collaborative efforts made by virtual
ontology groups. In essence, this repository will be the source for the
organization and structure of knowledge, goods and services. The
“Semantic Knowledge Repository” will be established as a vendor neutral
non-profit corporation.

In its simplest implementation, a web author or web designer will be
able to use tools to Interact with the "Semantic Knowledge Repository"
and bring semantic structure to the information he or she is creating.
In its eventual application, the “Semantic Knowledge Repository” will
transform enterprise management systems.

We will develop standards for the fair and objective management of the
repository and dynamic interactions with the repository. We intend to
create a management system that will enable the organic development of
ontologies. This is an incredibly grandiose vision - nothing less than
managing the organization, structure and growth of all knowledge. This
will most likely be the greatest collaborative endeavor in human history.

While existing lists of ontologies may seem overwhelming, the basic
ontologies for e-commerce applications and most Internet sites will be
quite manageable. It will be interesting to see how the statistics
evolve, but our initial guess is that less than five per cent of the
ontologies will be applied to more than ninety-five percent of semantic
classifications on the Internet.

We recognize that, "..central control is stifling, and increasing the
size and scope of such a system rapidly becomes unmanageable." We
believe a non-bureaucratic approach that pushes control down to the
level of the virtual ontology groups will result in an organic
self-regulating system.

We also recognize that some organizations may wish to manage their own
ontologies. For example, the ontology for molecular bio-chemistry might
be maintained by a leading research university; specific ontologies for
Business Process Management Systems (BPM) might be maintained by the
system provider; organizations may wish to maintain their own private
internal ontologies; etc. One of the most significant aspects of the
Semantic Bridge Project will be the creation of an open-source ontology
management framework that can be utilized by any organization. Where
applicable, there will be a mapping of independently created ontologies
to the Semantic Knowledge Repository.

We are very aware that a collaborative approach and the implementation
of fair practices are essential to the realization of this vision. We
wish to avoid the possibility of fragmentation (e.g., "The Google
Semantic Repository", "The Microsoft Semantic Repository", etc.) as is
seen with several competing Linux distributions. Our goal is to create a
consortium where all members participate equitably.

We think we have patent rights that will enable us to enforce some
degree of discipline amongst the major players.

The creation of a dynamic and interactive, “Semantic Knowledge
Repository”, along with the tools that will allow web designers and
software engineers to easily interact with this repository will have a
profound impact on the rapid deployment of the Semantic Web.

The technologies of the Semantic Bridge Project could truly transform
the world.

For complete details regarding The Semantic Bridge Project, please visit
our website: http://www.semanticbridgetechnologies.com

Please share your thoughts.

We hope you will consider participating in this endeavor. It is going to
be an incredible intellectual adventure.

Sincerely,

Mike Duffy
CEO / CTO
Semantic Bridge Technologies

Re: Semantic Bridge Project / Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

Ivan Herman-2
Mike,

sorry for the delayed answer. See below

Mike Duffy wrote:

> We are very interested in the publication, Best Practice Recipes for
> Publishing RDF Vocabularies.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-swbp-vocab-pub-20060314/
>
> This publication is still listed as a "working draft" and was last
> updated on 14 March 2006.
>
> We would like to help expand this document into a specification for an
> ontology management framework.

The Working Group you refer to does not exist any more. There is a, sort
of, new incarnation of part of that group, namely the Semantic Web
Deployment group:

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/

You copied this mail to Alistair and Ralph, both are members of this
group. I also copy this mail to Guus Schreiber and Thomas Baker, the two
co-chairs of this group.

Currently the group does have difficulties finding the right resources
to continue this work, though it is on its charter. If you think you can
contribute, I would urge you to think about joining W3C and then join
the group; I am sure your energy would be welcome there!

Sincerely

Ivan

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Semantic Bridge Project / Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

Mike Duffy-3

Ivan,

Thx again for your guidance and support.

Things are very intense right now, but in a good way.  We have just
completed our grant application to the National Science Foundation for
their support in the creation of the Semantic Ontology Repository.  We
have at least one expression of support from a major corporate player
for the non-profit foundation that will manage the repository; two other
corporations are in an evaluation process (hopefully more will follow).
We have begun the dance with the venture capitalists for investments in
Semantic Bridge Technologies (not a fun process, but perhaps necessary);
ideally, we would like to find a single angel investor.

Like most startups, we are temporarily in a cash flow crunch, so
spending the $6,350 to join the W3C is a few weeks away.  Would it be
possible to join the Semantic Web Deployment Working Group as an
“invited expert” (http://www.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.html) or at least be
able to join the private mailing list for the group?

We are definitely interested in helping this working group answer,
“Questions such as how in practice to use OWL to achieve semantic
integration across different agents, services, and applications; how to
identify multiple versions of a vocabulary; how to manage the contents
of the namespace document(s), and more.”  The document, “First
Principles of Good Practice for Managing RDF Schemas and OWL Ontologies
Working Draft”, is also of great interest.

Beyond the mechanics of managing RDF Schemas and OWL Ontologies, we
envision an Ontology Management Framework that will be a template for an
organic self-regulating system.  The working units of this system will
be collaborative virtual ontology groups.  Parliamentary rules will be
established for resolving disputes within these groups.  There will be a
network of semantic repositories built on this framework; one main
repository that will act as the “central library.”

The creation of a dynamic and interactive, “Semantic Ontology
Repository” network, along with the tools that will allow web designers
and software engineers to easily interact with this network will have a
profound impact on the rapid deployment of the Semantic Web and the
deployment of “Intelligent Web Services”.

There are significant data structure issues that need to be resolved for
an efficient ontology management system to be created. I am surprised
the major players (Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, MySql, etc.) are not
represented in this group.

We recognize the creation of a worldwide ontology management system is a
grandiose vision.  Thankfully, the initial reaction of most people has
been, “Wow, this is really cool!”, and not, “Wow, this is really
stupid.”  If this system is to succeed it must be based on fair and
objective standards.  We look forward to working with the W3C to create
those standards.

Sincerely,

Mike Duffy
CEO / CTO
Semantic Bridge Technologies
[hidden email]

Mike Duffy wrote:
> Ivan,
>
> Thx again for your guidance and support.

[snip]

> Like most startups, we are temporarily in a cash flow crunch, so
> spending the $6,350 to join the W3C is a few weeks away.  Would it be
> possible to join the Semantic Web Deployment Working Group as an
> “invited expert” (http://www.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.html) or at least be
> able to join the private mailing list for the group?

There is no private mailing list for the group: the mailing lists, as
well as the meeting records, are public. However, the "invited expert"
position is a scarcely used resource that we reserve to exceptional
cases only, as the page you refer to describes...

Sincerely

Ivan