SVG pathSegList Deprecated via Chrome's version 48 TODAY!

SVG pathSegList Deprecated via Chrome's version 48 TODAY!

Francis Hemsher-3
Initially it was somewhat of a challenge 15 years ago to wrap my head around building SVG paths via pathSegList  and its methods. I persevered, and thereby have about 200 files within various apps online that use this feature.

I believe Google has seriously jumped the gun in dumping this feature with no warning to developers. It will take quite a few hours/days/weeks to fix my pages to run in Chrome. In the meantime about 50% of my users will crash when getting into the SVG path.

I'm hoping for a bit of feedback to the Chrome folks to reconsider this, and a rollback to support of SVG's pathSegList. HELP!
See the following:

Regards & Thanks,
Francis Hemsher

Re: SVG pathSegList Deprecated via Chrome's version 48 TODAY!

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Initially it was somewhat of a challenge 15 years ago to wrap my head around
> building SVG paths via pathSegList  and its methods. I persevered, and
> thereby have about 200 files within various apps online that use this
> feature.
>
> I believe Google has seriously jumped the gun in dumping this feature with
> no warning to developers. It will take quite a few hours/days/weeks to fix
> my pages to run in Chrome. In the meantime about 50% of my users will crash
> when getting into the SVG path.
>
> I'm hoping for a bit of feedback to the Chrome folks to reconsider this, and
> a rollback to support of SVG's pathSegList. HELP!
> See the following:
>  https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=539385
> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=568735

Sending email to [hidden email] is the most effective way to
communicate with Chrome devs.

~TJ

Re: SVG pathSegList Deprecated via Chrome's version 48 TODAY!

Francis Hemsher-3
Hi Philip,

It seems to me that the SVG2 updates via Chrome will take a few years to complete. Chrome and developers will need a specific location to announce and communicate. The best place for this to occur would be at http://www.chromium.org/developers/discussion-groups
Merely include the group : Chromium-SVG.
Even following the SVG2 process, this could endure for any future SVG changes. Believe me, the word will get out that any/all discussions for Chrome's SVG will happen here. This should make the SVG transitions a seamless and positive process for Chrome, allowing developers to appreciate and understand Chrome's strategies relative to SVG.

Regards,
Francis

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:
The issue with the path generated via D3 seems to be on my side of the fence, so no followup needed.

As to the Chrome SVG developer notifications for upcoming SVG2 upgrades...Let me think on it a bit, and will get back to you.

( I can't understand how I missed the console warning...I practically live inside the console.log)

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Philip Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Francis,

Please go ahead and create an issue on the github project for svgpathseg about the interaction with d3. If you can include a specific example that would be great.

For notifying developers about SVG changes in Chrome... can you suggest specifics for how could do better? For this change, we had many large mailing list threads, a spec change and discussion on www-svg, developer outreach to every site we could find (including directly committing patches to fix svg-edit), and a warning message in the console for every user using SVGPathSeg.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Philip,
RE: your pathseg.js

I use D3 quite a lot. Your polyfill may be stepping on some of its calculations relating to PATHSEG_CURVETO_CUBIC_SMOOTH_ABS,
per d3.svg.line().interpolate("basis"): This builds the path's "d" attribute for the cubic "C" value.

The particular app requires about 12-14 decimal places for each point. Is is possible your number handling may impact that?

Where would be the best forum for us to discuss this further? I plan to create a few more tests and provide documentation to support my findings.

Thanks,
Francis

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW, I've tested your polyfill packet, and so far, looks good,
Thanks

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Philip,
I totally support upgrading SVG API's to SVG2. However, it can be handled as a very positive process by Chrome, rather than by shocking developers via a piecemeal approach as has happened with pathSeg. I'm suggesting a more formal presentation by Chrome addressing SVG's upgrades as a whole. You will find SVG developers will enthusiastically jump on board and help make it a seamless and enjoyable happening, celebrating Chrome, rather than berating it.
Regards,
Francis

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Philip Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[-list]

Hi Francis,

I'm Philip, one of the folks behind removing this from Chrome. I'm sorry to hear this broke your pages. You may be able to use the polyfill I wrote at https://github.com/progers/pathseg. Other folks have found this to be a drop-in replacement.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Initially it was somewhat of a challenge 15 years ago to wrap my head around building SVG paths via pathSegList  and its methods. I persevered, and thereby have about 200 files within various apps online that use this feature.

I believe Google has seriously jumped the gun in dumping this feature with no warning to developers. It will take quite a few hours/days/weeks to fix my pages to run in Chrome. In the meantime about 50% of my users will crash when getting into the SVG path.

I'm hoping for a bit of feedback to the Chrome folks to reconsider this, and a rollback to support of SVG's pathSegList. HELP!
See the following:

Regards & Thanks,
Francis Hemsher

Re: SVG pathSegList Deprecated via Chrome's version 48 TODAY!

Philip Rogers-2
Francis,

We maintain a list of all major SVG changes at https://www.chromestatus.com/features#svg

All major SVG changes are also posted to blink-dev if you'd like to follow along: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!forum/blink-dev

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:25 AM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rik Cabanier-2

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Francis Hemsher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I've looked at both. They are too amorphous when seeking to focus specifically on SVG. I believe SVG2 requires a more formal means to address the upcoming changes.

https://www.chromestatus.com/features#svg seems very clear about the changes chrome is making to SVG.
Would you like to see it in a different format? If so, what would be better?

[...]

features#svg of course serves a critical purpose for structural integrity. However, from a developer's standpoint it is basically dictatorial  in nature, not really open to discussion.

I guess, I can't understand the reluctance about adding chromium-SVG as a new group to discussion-groups. This would provide the exact format I would like to see. I would think, in the overall scheme of things, that it would also serve to support Chrome's development team as well.