[SVG 2][css-filters][css-masking] Clearly defining which SVG elements are not rendered, and what that means

[SVG 2][css-filters][css-masking] Clearly defining which SVG elements are not rendered, and what that means

Amelia Bellamy-Royds
The SVG specs, and now the FX specs that define elements, have a lot of repeated text about certain elements being "never directly rendered" and how this interacts with the display property.  However, we do not have a centralized section defining this behavior, and we do not have any easy way to pull up a list of which elements are affected.

For both the SVG accessibility specs and the SVG 2 sections on focus management and interactivity, it would make things much simpler if we could simply refer to a category of elements that are never directly rendered or not rendered in a particular context.

However, this requires a number of complementary changes to different parts of the specs, so I thought I'd warn everyone before I push changes (or make a pull request, for the FX specs).

Planned changes in SVG 2:
  • Include a new section in the rendering chapter (https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/render.html) on what it means for an element to be or not be rendered with definitions for the terms "never directly rendered" and "not rendered".

  • Move the section on the display and visibility properties, currently in the Painting chapter (https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#VisibilityControl), into the rendering chapter & integrate with the new section.

  • Link all prose references of "never directly rendered" and "not rendered" to the new section.

  • Create a new category of element (for use in the element definition blue boxes) "non-rendered element".

I would hope that the element definitions in CSS Filters and CSS Masking could also be updated with these last two changes.

 ~Amelia