SVG 1.1 Second Edition Last Call Comments

SVG 1.1 Second Edition Last Call Comments

Innovimax SARL
Dear all,

Here are few comments

* ECMAScript is now at 5th Edition of December 2009
* The latest ICC.1 spec is ICC.1:2004-10 (Version 4.2.0.0)
* The latest version of ISO8601 is 2004
http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/catalogue_detail?csnumber=40874
* JPEG the reference has now been updated to ISO/IEC 10918-1:1994/Cor 1:2005
* SRGB has been updated to IEC 61966-2-1/Amd 1:2003
* Unicode 5.2.0 has been released
* XMLBase :  The link is good but the test should say that it's the
Second Edition
* XML-NS should point to the third Edition
* XLINK should be updated to XLINK 1.1 which is now a REC and remove
XLINK 1.1 from informative reference
* XPointer is at the status of Working draft and should not be in the
normative reference
* NVDL has been updated to ISO/IEC 19757-4:2006/Cor 1:2008
* OpenType has been updated to 1.6
* SMIL1 has been outdated by SMIL3

Please add a link to Relax NG version of SVG 1.1

Regards,

Mohamed

--
Innovimax SARL
Consulting, Training & XML Development
SARL au capital de 10.000 €

Re: SVG 1.1 Second Edition Last Call Comments

Chris Lilley
On Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 1:40:07 PM, Innovimax wrote:

IS> Dear all,

IS> Here are few comments

Thanks for the comments,  Mohamed. These are being tracked under ISSUE-2344 and I have ACTION-2821 to update the spec in response to your comment.

IS> * ECMAScript is now at 5th Edition of December 2009

It is. I'm  just checking which edition of ECMAScript is in fact implemented by current implementations before updating that reference. There is a concern regarding language changes so we want to be sure to reference the correct edition here.

IS> * The latest ICC.1 spec is ICC.1:2004-10 (Version 4.2.0.0)
Yes.

IS> * The latest version of ISO8601 is 2004
IS> http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/catalogue_detail?csnumber=40874

OK

IS> * JPEG the reference has now been updated to ISO/IEC 10918-1:1994/Cor 1:2005
IS> * SRGB has been updated to IEC 61966-2-1/Amd 1:2003

Thanks for pointers to the latest JPEG and sRGB specs.

IS> * Unicode 5.2.0 has been released

Yes. As XML 5th edition specifically links to the 'latest' version of Unicode and since the I18n Core WG refer to it also in their discussions of bidi it seems clear we should reference the latest one, too.

IS> * XMLBase :  The link is good but the test should say that it's the
IS> Second Edition

Agreed.

IS> * XML-NS should point to the third Edition

Indeed.

IS> * XLINK should be updated to XLINK 1.1 which is now a REC and remove
IS> XLINK 1.1 from informative reference

Yes, good catch. In fact most existing SVG 1.1 content is more conformant to XLink 1.1 than to 1.0 (omits xlink:type="simple" in the instance).

IS> * XPointer is at the status of Working draft and should not be in the
IS> normative reference

Its also not referred to anywhere from the rest of the spec, so this reference has been deleted.

IS> * NVDL has been updated to ISO/IEC 19757-4:2006/Cor 1:2008

OK

IS> * OpenType has been updated to 1.6

We would like to check on implementation status before updating that one.

IS> * SMIL1 has been outdated by SMIL3

Yes.

IS> Please add a link to Relax NG version of SVG 1.1

If one existed, we would happily link to it. A good RNG I mean, not some namespace-less travesty auto-generated from the DTD :) but we do not have one as yet.

Do you happen to have one?

If not, we plan to create one in due course, but it won't be under /TR and will be a separate publication. We would probably start with the SVG 1.2T RNG, removing 1.2-specific elements and adding the elements and attributes that are in 1.1 but not in 1.2T.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[hidden email]
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Chris Lilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 1:40:07 PM, Innovimax wrote:

IS> Dear all,

IS> Here are few comments

Thanks for the comments,  Mohamed. These are being tracked under ISSUE-2344 and I have ACTION-2821 to update the spec in response to your comment.

Perfect

IS> * ECMAScript is now at 5th Edition of December 2009

It is. I'm  just checking which edition of ECMAScript is in fact implemented by current implementations before updating that reference. There is a concern regarding language changes so we want to be sure to reference the correct edition here.

Fair enough

IS> * The latest ICC.1 spec is ICC.1:2004-10 (Version 4.2.0.0)
Yes.

IS> * The latest version of ISO8601 is 2004
IS> http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/catalogue_detail?csnumber=40874

OK

IS> * JPEG the reference has now been updated to ISO/IEC 10918-1:1994/Cor 1:2005
IS> * SRGB has been updated to IEC 61966-2-1/Amd 1:2003

Thanks for pointers to the latest JPEG and sRGB specs.

IS> * Unicode 5.2.0 has been released

Yes. As XML 5th edition specifically links to the 'latest' version of Unicode and since the I18n Core WG refer to it also in their discussions of bidi it seems clear we should reference the latest one, too.

IS> * XMLBase :  The link is good but the test should say that it's the
IS> Second Edition

Agreed.

IS> * XML-NS should point to the third Edition

Indeed.

IS> * XLINK should be updated to XLINK 1.1 which is now a REC and remove
IS> XLINK 1.1 from informative reference

Yes, good catch. In fact most existing SVG 1.1 content is more conformant to XLink 1.1 than to 1.0 (omits xlink:type="simple" in the instance).

Even better !!

IS> * XPointer is at the status of Working draft and should not be in the
IS> normative reference

Its also not referred to anywhere from the rest of the spec, so this reference has been deleted.

IS> * NVDL has been updated to ISO/IEC 19757-4:2006/Cor 1:2008

OK

IS> * OpenType has been updated to 1.6

We would like to check on implementation status before updating that one.

Fair enough

IS> * SMIL1 has been outdated by SMIL3

Yes.

IS> Please add a link to Relax NG version of SVG 1.1

If one existed, we would happily link to it. A good RNG I mean, not some namespace-less travesty auto-generated from the DTD :) but we do not have one as yet.

Do you happen to have one?

I just forwarded the question to ISO SC 34 people with my W3C Liaison hat

If not, we plan to create one in due course, but it won't be under /TR and will be a separate publication. We would probably start with the SVG 1.2T RNG, removing 1.2-specific elements and adding the elements and attributes that are in 1.1 but not in 1.2T.

That sounds like a reasonnable plan B

Thanks

Mohamed
--
Innovimax SARL
Consulting, Training & XML Development
9, impasse des Orteaux
75020 Paris
Tel : +33 9 52 475787
Fax : +33 1 4356 1746
http://www.innovimax.fr
RCS Paris 488.018.631
SARL au capital de 10.000 €

Re: SVG 1.1 Second Edition Last Call Comments

Boris Zbarsky
On 7/12/10 7:08 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:
> It is. I'm  just checking which edition of ECMAScript is in fact implemented by current implementations

The answer depends on what you consider "current".  For example, for
Firefox the answer is somewhat different for 3.6 and 4.0 (though both
are sort of in between 3rd and 5th edition).

-Boris

On Monday, July 12, 2010, 7:40:55 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> On 7/12/10 7:08 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> It is. I'm  just checking which edition of ECMAScript is in fact implemented by current implementations

BZ> The answer depends on what you consider "current".

I fact I meant current as "ongoing SVG implementations under active development".

BZ>  For example, for
BZ> Firefox the answer is somewhat different for 3.6 and 4.0 (though both
BZ> are sort of in between 3rd and 5th edition).

Yes, I get the impression that "in between 3rd and 5th edition" is the current state of play generally, with a move towards 5, and so SVG 1.1 SE should reference ES5.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Innovimax SARL <[hidden email]> wrote:
IS> Please add a link to Relax NG version of SVG 1.1

If one existed, we would happily link to it. A good RNG I mean, not some namespace-less travesty auto-generated from the DTD :) but we do not have one as yet.

Do you happen to have one?

I just forwarded the question to ISO SC 34 people with my W3C Liaison hat

It seems I didn't even googled it, thing that Dave Pawson did and find this :

Can you give a quick to see if there is some work remaining here ?

Thanks

Mohamed

RCS Paris 488.018.631
SARL au capital de 10.000 €

On Monday, July 12, 2010, 5:02:01 PM, Innovimax wrote:

IS> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Chris Lilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
IS>  On Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 1:40:07 PM, Innovimax wrote:
IS>> Dear all,

IS>> Here are few comments
IS>
IS>  Thanks for the comments,  Mohamed. These are being tracked under
IS> ISSUE-2344 and I have ACTION-2821 to update the spec in response to your comment.

IS> Perfect

The editors draft has now been updated in line with your suggestions. Please verify that the edits satisfy your comments.

http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/master/refs.html

 IS>> * ECMAScript is now at 5th Edition of December 2009
IS>
IS>  It is. I'm  just checking which edition of ECMAScript is in fact
IS> implemented by current implementations before updating that
IS> reference. There is a concern regarding language changes so we
IS> want to be sure to reference the correct edition here.

IS> Fair enough

After checking, we were confident that ECMAScript 5th edition was the correct one to reference, so  we updated as you suggested.

 IS>> * OpenType has been updated to 1.6
IS>
IS>  We would like to check on implementation status before updating that one.

After a check over on www-font, we were confident to update that one also. We also noted the equivalence to
ISO/IEC 14496-22:2009 (Second Edition) "Open Font Format"