SV: Requesting XML records via Z39.50

Tommy Schomacker
Hello Ray et al,

It seems like this topic got into a dead end. I still think we need a revision of the implementor agreement "Requesting XML Records" from August 2003. The scope of the agreement should be, not to exclude any of the existing ways, but to describe the various ways used to specify the schema, and to draw the relation between Z39.50 and SRU - as you have already done in mails.

The future will bring a lot of XML schemas to be handled by Z39.50 and SRU, and it would be nice if the same schema identifier could be used in both protocols. The method using the common OID 1.2.840.10003.5.112 (XML-b), as the record syntax, and supply a globally unambiguous identifier of the desired XML definition as the element set name (e.g. an URI) will serve this purpose. Defining an OID for each schema and subschema is foolish.

I hope you agree.

Best regards
Tommy Schomacker
From: "Tommy Schomacker" <[hidden email]>

Re: Requesting XML records via Z39.50

ray denenberg-2
Tommy - Yes, I agree completely.   Sorry this has slipped and thank you for
bringing it back up. I just spent some time reviewing the entire discussion
on this.

I agree that we do not need to continue to assign OIDs for every schema, and
that in the typical case the schema identifier used for SRU should also be
used for Z39.50.  There may still be cases where OIDs need to be used and we
can treat them as special cases.

The remaining question is what will SRU use for schema identifiers, as there
is currently discussion about aligning SRU andOpenURL identifiers. But I
expect that discussion to be resolved quickly.

In any case, we can revise the agreement to reflect this.

--Ray

I suggest we document the 112-method in an implementer's agreement :-)
/Tommy
We use compSpec in one of our applications, but we will be able to a single
URI-based form for future applications.
/Tommy

>> It's also been our assumption that it would be practical to use same
>> schema
>>
> identifiers for both SRU and Z39.50. Why have two registries?
>

> Well the problem is that you have to use the OID form if you are supplying
> the schema identifier in the schema field in compspec.
Well. the way I read amendment 5, the schema OID became optional.
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/amend/am5.html
A string , member uri, may be given instead.

The CompSpec has recordSyntax in it and that is required.  But that's
not a schema.. So using Amendment 5 we have a way to specify a string
based schema.. Now all this is probably not of interest to many since
it's not widely used, AFAIK.

The element set way.. Page
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/agree/request-xml.html
mentions schema identifiers.. This page even has link to the SRU record
schema identifers.. Although the link no longer works.

My only hope was both that both SRU and Z39.50 would use the same schema
identifiers for XML. Z39.50 has OID based syntax and of course SRU has
recordPacking (but that doesn't affect the schema identifiers).

> You don't have any
> choice there because it's typed as asn.1 OBJECT IDENTIFIER. True, you
> could
> (technically) use the URI form when supplying it within the element set
> name
> parameter (because it has no such restriction).  So one way or the other
> you
> end up with two different identfiers: either (a) different for SRU and
> Z39.50, or (b) different for the two ways within Z39.50. And in the second
> case, one of the two will be inconsistent with SRU.  So (a) would be the
> lesser of the evils, wouldn't it?
>
> (Or are you suggesting that we use OIDs instead or URIs in SRU. I hope
> not.)

Of course not.

/ Adam
> --Ray

Re: Requesting XML records via Z39.50

ray denenberg-2
Tommy - See
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/proposals/request-xml-revised-2009.html

Let me know if this covers it suffficiently.

--Ray

I suggest we document the 112-method in an implementer's agreement :-)
/Tommy
We use compSpec in one of our applications, but we will be able to a single
URI-based form for future applications.
/Tommy

>> It's also been our assumption that it would be practical to use same
>> schema
>>
> identifiers for both SRU and Z39.50. Why have two registries?
>

> Well the problem is that you have to use the OID form if you are supplying
> the schema identifier in the schema field in compspec.
Well. the way I read amendment 5, the schema OID became optional.
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/amend/am5.html
A string , member uri, may be given instead.

The CompSpec has recordSyntax in it and that is required.  But that's
not a schema.. So using Amendment 5 we have a way to specify a string
based schema.. Now all this is probably not of interest to many since
it's not widely used, AFAIK.

The element set way.. Page
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/agree/request-xml.html
mentions schema identifiers.. This page even has link to the SRU record
schema identifers.. Although the link no longer works.

My only hope was both that both SRU and Z39.50 would use the same schema
identifiers for XML. Z39.50 has OID based syntax and of course SRU has
recordPacking (but that doesn't affect the schema identifiers).

> You don't have any
> choice there because it's typed as asn.1 OBJECT IDENTIFIER. True, you
> could
> (technically) use the URI form when supplying it within the element set
> name
> parameter (because it has no such restriction).  So one way or the other
> you
> end up with two different identfiers: either (a) different for SRU and
> Z39.50, or (b) different for the two ways within Z39.50. And in the second
> case, one of the two will be inconsistent with SRU.  So (a) would be the
> lesser of the evils, wouldn't it?
>
> (Or are you suggesting that we use OIDs instead or URIs in SRU. I hope
> not.)

Of course not.

/ Adam
> --Ray

SV: Requesting XML records via Z39.50

Tommy Schomacker
Ray - thanks! I am very satisfied with this text. This gives a well defined way to specify schemas and sub schemas.
/Tommy
Let me know if this covers it suffficiently.

--Ray

I suggest we document the 112-method in an implementer's agreement :-)
/Tommy
We use compSpec in one of our applications, but we will be able to a single
URI-based form for future applications.
/Tommy

>> It's also been our assumption that it would be practical to use same
>> schema
>>
> identifiers for both SRU and Z39.50. Why have two registries?
>

> Well the problem is that you have to use the OID form if you are supplying
> the schema identifier in the schema field in compspec.
Well. the way I read amendment 5, the schema OID became optional.
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/amend/am5.html
A string , member uri, may be given instead.

The CompSpec has recordSyntax in it and that is required.  But that's
not a schema.. So using Amendment 5 we have a way to specify a string
based schema.. Now all this is probably not of interest to many since
it's not widely used, AFAIK.

The element set way.. Page
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/agree/request-xml.html
mentions schema identifiers.. This page even has link to the SRU record
schema identifers.. Although the link no longer works.

My only hope was both that both SRU and Z39.50 would use the same schema
identifiers for XML. Z39.50 has OID based syntax and of course SRU has
recordPacking (but that doesn't affect the schema identifiers).

> You don't have any
> choice there because it's typed as asn.1 OBJECT IDENTIFIER. True, you
> could
> (technically) use the URI form when supplying it within the element set
> name
> parameter (because it has no such restriction).  So one way or the other
> you
> end up with two different identfiers: either (a) different for SRU and
> Z39.50, or (b) different for the two ways within Z39.50. And in the second
> case, one of the two will be inconsistent with SRU.  So (a) would be the
> lesser of the evils, wouldn't it?
>
> (Or are you suggesting that we use OIDs instead or URIs in SRU. I hope
> not.)

Of course not.

/ Adam
> --Ray

SV: Requesting XML records via Z39.50

Tommy Schomacker
Maybe it would have been more accurate if I said:
This gives (as an option) a well defined way to specify schemas and sub schemas. This option is:
OID (object identifier) 1.2.840.10003.5.112 and schema identifier a URI listed in the table of schemas used by SRU.

Best regards
Tommy
Ray - thanks! I am very satisfied with this text. This gives a well defined way to specify schemas and sub schemas.
/Tommy
Let me know if this covers it suffficiently.

--Ray

I suggest we document the 112-method in an implementer's agreement :-)
/Tommy
We use compSpec in one of our applications, but we will be able to a single
URI-based form for future applications.
/Tommy

>> It's also been our assumption that it would be practical to use same
>> schema
>>
> identifiers for both SRU and Z39.50. Why have two registries?
>

> Well the problem is that you have to use the OID form if you are supplying
> the schema identifier in the schema field in compspec.
Well. the way I read amendment 5, the schema OID became optional.
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/amend/am5.html
A string , member uri, may be given instead.

The CompSpec has recordSyntax in it and that is required.  But that's
not a schema.. So using Amendment 5 we have a way to specify a string
based schema.. Now all this is probably not of interest to many since
it's not widely used, AFAIK.

The element set way.. Page
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/agree/request-xml.html
mentions schema identifiers.. This page even has link to the SRU record
schema identifers.. Although the link no longer works.

My only hope was both that both SRU and Z39.50 would use the same schema
identifiers for XML. Z39.50 has OID based syntax and of course SRU has
recordPacking (but that doesn't affect the schema identifiers).

> You don't have any
> choice there because it's typed as asn.1 OBJECT IDENTIFIER. True, you
> could
> (technically) use the URI form when supplying it within the element set
> name
> parameter (because it has no such restriction).  So one way or the other
> you
> end up with two different identfiers: either (a) different for SRU and
> Z39.50, or (b) different for the two ways within Z39.50. And in the second
> case, one of the two will be inconsistent with SRU.  So (a) would be the
> lesser of the evils, wouldn't it?
>
> (Or are you suggesting that we use OIDs instead or URIs in SRU. I hope
> not.)

Of course not.

/ Adam