SOAP W3C Recommendation

Nicolas Fonnegra
Hello everyone,

I am trying to consume a webservice whose input parameters follow this schema definition

<s:element name="Insert">
    <s:complexType>
        <s:sequence>
              <s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="dataObject" type="s:string" />
              <s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="xmlPayload" type="s:string" />
          </s:sequence>
  </s:complexType>

as I generate the correspondent SOAP message, I get an error saying that my message isn't W3C conform, because tags beginning with "xml" aren't allowed. I looked at the specification but I didn't find this restriction. Is it really against the specification to have a tag beginning with "xml" (in this case xmlPayload) in your SOAP message ?

Cheers Nicolas Fonnegra

Re: SOAP W3C Recommendation

noah_mendelsohn

SOAP messages must be serializable as XML (see [1]).  From the XML
Recommendation [2]:

"[Definition: A Name is a token beginning with a letter or one of a few
punctuation characters, and continuing with letters, digits, hyphens,
underscores, colons, or full stops, together known as name characters.]
Names beginning with the string "xml", or with any string which would
match (('X'|'x') ('M'|'m') ('L'|'l')), are reserved for standardization in
this or future versions of this specification."

So, it's very clearly in the Recommendations if you know where to look.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-soap12-part1-20070427/#soapenv
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-common-syn

--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-693-4036

"Nicolas Fonnegra" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]
11/08/2007 04:10 AM
Please respond to "[hidden email]"

        To:     "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
        cc:     (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
        Subject:        SOAP W3C Recommendation