Respec docs without all the W3C boilerplate

Respec docs without all the W3C boilerplate

r12a
i'm creating a document that isn't a spec, isn't going to be on the rec
track or even a note, but i'd like to use respec's basic styling and
features to create the document. I don't want all the standard spec
gubbings at the top, just things like title, author, toc, etc.

in fact this is the second time this month i've wanted to do this.

is there any way to turn off the generation of the spec-related
boilerplate at the top and use respec for non-spec docs?

i know it sounds a bit counter to the original purpose of respec, but
respec provides lots of other useful automation, such as figure-linking,
dfn links, toc, nice styling, section level correction, etc. which i'd
like to be able to use.

ri

Re: Respec docs without all the W3C boilerplate

Marcos Caceres-4

On December 16, 2015 at 10:14:55 AM, [hidden email] ([hidden email]) wrote:

> i'm creating a document that isn't a spec, isn't going to be on the rec
> track or even a note, but i'd like to use respec's basic styling and
> features to create the document. I don't want all the standard spec
> gubbings at the top, just things like title, author, toc, etc.
>
> in fact this is the second time this month i've wanted to do this.
>
> is there any way to turn off the generation of the spec-related
> boilerplate at the top and use respec for non-spec docs?
>
> i know it sounds a bit counter to the original purpose of respec, but
> respec provides lots of other useful automation, such as figure-linking,
> dfn links, toc, nice styling, section level correction, etc. which i'd
> like to be able to use.

Best we could do right now is "unofficial". But it might be nice to make just a "base" document type. Feel free to file an feature request... and, of course, PRs always welcome.

Re: Respec docs without all the W3C boilerplate

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 3:13 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i'm creating a document that isn't a spec, isn't going to be on the rec
> track or even a note, but i'd like to use respec's basic styling and
> features to create the document. I don't want all the standard spec gubbings
> at the top, just things like title, author, toc, etc.
>
> in fact this is the second time this month i've wanted to do this.
>
> is there any way to turn off the generation of the spec-related boilerplate
> at the top and use respec for non-spec docs?
>
> i know it sounds a bit counter to the original purpose of respec, but respec
> provides lots of other useful automation, such as figure-linking, dfn links,
> toc, nice styling, section level correction, etc. which i'd like to be able
> to use.

Or, of course, use Bikeshed - if you generate without a Group
metadata, you get a "default" look.  We can simplify that even further
if desired.

~TJ

Re: Respec docs without all the W3C boilerplate

Shane McCarron
Note that you can also set your document Status top webspec.  That does all sorts of crazy stuff with the headers.  And it is relatively easy for us to add a different header template.  See js/w3c/headers.js if you are interested in working on customization.

--
Shane McCarron