Requirement to remove fonts after test

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Requirement to remove fonts after test

Geoffrey Sneddon-4
Hello again,

A number of tests contain:

> Post Test: Remove test font after running the test.

It's not clear to me why any of them actually require the test font to
be removed after the test. Anyone have any idea why it's there?

It seems much easier to just run all the tests with all of the fonts
rather than anything special.

/Geoffrey.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Requirement to remove fonts after test

Zhang, Zhiqiang
Hi,

> From: Geoffrey Sneddon [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 9:12 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Requirement to remove fonts after test
>
> Hello again,
>
> A number of tests contain:
>
> > Post Test: Remove test font after running the test.
>
> It's not clear to me why any of them actually require the test font to be
> removed after the test. Anyone have any idea why it's there?

I haven't checked the tests. Generally a test case needs to do cleanup before exit, say post-condition (here is the font), so that it has no impact on the rest tests.

> It seems much easier to just run all the tests with all of the fonts rather than
> anything special.

Seems so. Practically testers do like this, and may remove all of the fonts after running all tests.

Thanks,
Zhiqiang

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Requirement to remove fonts after test

Geoffrey Sneddon-4
On 06/11/15 13:39, Zhang, Zhiqiang wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> From: Geoffrey Sneddon [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 9:12 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Requirement to remove fonts after test
>>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> A number of tests contain:
>>
>>> Post Test: Remove test font after running the test.
>>
>> It's not clear to me why any of them actually require the test font to be
>> removed after the test. Anyone have any idea why it's there?
>
> I haven't checked the tests. Generally a test case needs to do cleanup before exit, say post-condition (here is the font), so that it has no impact on the rest tests.

I'm not denying it's a good idea in principle—just most people's CI
systems aren't designed such that they can just install a font for *one*
test!

I have now found some fallout from it:

css21/fonts/font-family-rule-006.xht

Prima-facie, it makes sense to have such a test distinct from the
others. One can imagine an implementation for font-family: "sans-serif":

 1. If there is a font family matching the name "sans-serif", use that.
 2. If "sans-serif" is a generic name, use the generic font.
 3. Fallback to next item in font-family list, goto 1.

Therefore, I guess it's reasonable to test both with a font that matches
"sans-serif" and without any font matching it…

/Geoffrey.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Requirement to remove fonts after test

Gérard Talbot-3
In reply to this post by Geoffrey Sneddon-4
Le 2015-11-06 08:11, Geoffrey Sneddon a écrit :
> Hello again,
>
> A number of tests contain:
>
>> Post Test: Remove test font after running the test.
>
> It's not clear to me why any of them actually require the test font to
> be removed after the test. Anyone have any idea why it's there?

Geoffrey,

On my system, I have disabled only the following fonts (from the CSS
test fonts and AhemExtra fonts package):

AHEM_cursive.TTF (font name is cursive),
AHEM_default.TTF (font name is default),
AHEM_fantasy.TTF (font name is fantasy),
AHEM_initial.TTF (font name is initial),
AHEM_monospace.TTF (font name is monospace),
AHEM_sans-serif.TTF (font name is sans-serif),
AHEM_serif.TTF (font name is serif)

because, at some point, I realized they were causing problems on my
system: it was long ago, I can not remember which problems exactly.

If CSS2.1 tests involving those font names were all using quotes, then I
do not see why they had to be removed (or disabled) them after checking
font tests. So, it's not clear to me too why any of them actually
require the test font to be removed after the test. Best would be to ask
Arron Eicholz ...

> It seems much easier to just run all the tests with all of the fonts
> rather than anything special.
>
> /Geoffrey.

In my opinion, it would make sense to run all font-related tests
together, apart from all the other non-font-related tests.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-format-guidelines.html

Test Style Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-style-guidelines.html

Test Templates
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-templates.html

CSS Naming Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-naming.html

Test Review Checklist
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/review-checklist.html

CSS Metadata
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-metadata.html