Requesting IESG Approval for the Media Type application/exi

Requesting IESG Approval for the Media Type application/exi

Philippe Le Hegaret
Dear IESG participants,

This message is to request approval for the registration of the media
type "application/exi", as described in Appendix F.2 of "Efficient XML
Interchange (EXI) Format 1.0":

 http://www.w3.org/TR/exi/#internetMediaType

This message follows the procedure described in the Media Type
Specifications and Registration Procedures, section 5.2, "IESG
Approval" [1]. The proposed media type were sent for preliminary
community review on :

 http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2008-October/002103.html

Questions were asked regarding the need to have a media type for EXI,
resulting after clarifications in the addition of the following
paragraph in the document:
[[
Consideration of alternatives :

When transferring EXI streams over a protocol that can identify and
negotiate the content coding of XML information independent of its
media-type, the content-coding should be used to identify and negotiate
how the XML information is encoded and the media-type should be used to
negotiate and identify what type of information is transfered.

]]

We believe the media type is now ready for IESG approval.

Thank you,

Philippe

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4288.txt

--
Philippe Le H├ęgaret, W3C Interaction Domain Leader
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

Re: Requesting IESG Approval for the Media Type application/exi

Alexey Melnikov
Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

>Dear IESG participants,
>
>This message is to request approval for the registration of the media
>type "application/exi", as described in Appendix F.2 of "Efficient XML
>Interchange (EXI) Format 1.0":
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/exi/#internetMediaType
>
>This message follows the procedure described in the Media Type
>Specifications and Registration Procedures, section 5.2, "IESG
>Approval" [1]. The proposed media type were sent for preliminary
>community review on :
>
> http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2008-October/002103.html

Ok, this is going to be reviewed by IESG on March 4th.

--
IETF Application Area Director, <http://www.ietf.org/IESGmems.html>
Internet Messaging Team Lead, <http://www.isode.com>

Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

>Dear IESG participants,

Dear Philippe (and W3C),
IESG has no problems registering this MIME type.

However IESG would like to ask one (non blocking) question, which might
result in update to the registration:

Many EXI documents can not be understood without the associated grammar
which does not have to be provided inside the EXI doc. It might be good
to define an optional parameter that provides a URI or some sort of name
to find the associated grammar.

Please let IESG know if you would like to update the registration, or if
you want to register it as is.

>This message is to request approval for the registration of the media
>type "application/exi", as described in Appendix F.2 of "Efficient XML
>Interchange (EXI) Format 1.0":
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/exi/#internetMediaType
>
>This message follows the procedure described in the Media Type
>Specifications and Registration Procedures, section 5.2, "IESG
>Approval" [1]. The proposed media type were sent for preliminary
>community review on :
>
> http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2008-October/002103.html
>
>Questions were asked regarding the need to have a media type for EXI,
>resulting after clarifications in the addition of the following
>paragraph in the document:
>[[
>Consideration of alternatives :
>
>When transferring EXI streams over a protocol that can identify and
>negotiate the content coding of XML information independent of its
>media-type, the content-coding should be used to identify and negotiate
>how the XML information is encoded and the media-type should be used to
>negotiate and identify what type of information is transfered.
>
>]]
>

>We believe the media type is now ready for IESG approval.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Philippe
>
>[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4288.txt

--
IETF Application Area Director, <http://www.ietf.org/IESGmems.html>
Internet Messaging Team Lead, <http://www.isode.com>
JID: same as my email address

Re: Requesting IESG Approval for the Media Type application/exi

Carine Bournez
On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 06:14:47PM +0000, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> Dear Philippe (and W3C),
> IESG has no problems registering this MIME type.
>
> However IESG would like to ask one (non blocking) question, which might
> result in update to the registration:
>
> Many EXI documents can not be understood without the associated grammar
> which does not have to be provided inside the EXI doc. It might be good
> to define an optional parameter that provides a URI or some sort of name
> to find the associated grammar.
>
> Please let IESG know if you would like to update the registration, or if
> you want to register it as is.

Dear Alexey,

First, note that EXI processors do not exchange EXI grammars directly. The
information used by the processors to build the grammars, in addition to
the rules defined in the EXI format specification, is extracted from the
document schema (if any) that the SchemaID option can specify.

The Working Group discussed the possibility of sending information about
the document schema (i.e. schemaID) as an optional parameter of the
application/exi Media Type.

We decided that it was not desirable:
We already have the possibility to send the EXI Options in the EXI
stream, otherwise Options are negotiated out of band. Having an optional
parameter of the media type would introduce a third way to define the
schemaID, outside of the EXI Options, which seems to be an unnecessary
complication. In addition, the application/exi Media type is not the
preferred way to describe the exchange, as stated in the specification,
and as much as possible the Content Encoding token "exi" should be used
along with the original XML document media type.

Thank you.

--
Carine Bournez -+- W3C Europe

Carine Bournez wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 06:14:47PM +0000, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>

>>Dear Philippe (and W3C),
>>IESG has no problems registering this MIME type.
>>
>>However IESG would like to ask one (non blocking) question, which might
>>result in update to the registration:
>>
>>Many EXI documents can not be understood without the associated grammar
>>which does not have to be provided inside the EXI doc. It might be good
>>to define an optional parameter that provides a URI or some sort of name
>>to find the associated grammar.
>>
>>Please let IESG know if you would like to update the registration, or if
>>you want to register it as is.
>>

>Dear Alexey,

Dear Carine,

>First, note that EXI processors do not exchange EXI grammars directly. The
>information used by the processors to build the grammars, in addition to
>the rules defined in the EXI format specification, is extracted from the
>document schema (if any) that the SchemaID option can specify.
>
>The Working Group discussed the possibility of sending information about
>the document schema (i.e. schemaID) as an optional parameter of the
>application/exi Media Type.
>
>We decided that it was not desirable:
>We already have the possibility to send the EXI Options in the EXI
>stream, otherwise Options are negotiated out of band. Having an optional
>parameter of the media type would introduce a third way to define the
>schemaID, outside of the EXI Options, which seems to be an unnecessary
>complication. In addition, the application/exi Media type is not the
>preferred way to describe the exchange, as stated in the specification,
>and as much as possible the Content Encoding token "exi" should be used
>along with the original XML document media type.

Thank you for the extra information.

Approval of the media type was just announced.

Regards,
Alexey