Regarding section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 Language Profile

Regarding section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 Language Profile

Saoshyant
Greetings,

Section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 specification
states that Vorbis and Theora MIME types are application/ogg.  This is
no longer the case, as the Xiph.Org Foundation has deemed necessary to
change this to increase interoperability between the many hardware and
software implementations that deal with its different formats.

Per the MIME Types and File Extensions Recommendation[1], which is in
the process of becoming a RFC, Theora MIME type is video/ogg and
Vorbis MIME type is audio/ogg.

Is it possible to rectify the SMIL 3.0 specification while it's still
on the Last Call stage?

Is it also possible to modify this section as to add another
royalty-free format as either optional or required for user-agents to
implement?  We would like to suggest support for the Speex[2][3] media
format, as its speech-optimized qualities allow for many uses over the
Web where human voice is required.

Possibly, an entry like
"the following royalty-free media formats are suggested to be supported:
* Ogg Speex audio (audio/ogg)"
may be included.

Thank you for your attention,
Best regards,

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves
Xiph.Org Foundation

[1] http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions
[2] http://speex.org/
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speex

Re: Regarding section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 Language Profile

Sjoerd Mullender-2

On 07/30/2007 03:09 PM, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
--
Sjoerd Mullender

> Greetings,
>
> Section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 specification
> states that Vorbis and Theora MIME types are application/ogg.  This is
> no longer the case, as the Xiph.Org Foundation has deemed necessary to
> change this to increase interoperability between the many hardware and
> software implementations that deal with its different formats.
>
> Per the MIME Types and File Extensions Recommendation[1], which is in
> the process of becoming a RFC, Theora MIME type is video/ogg and
> Vorbis MIME type is audio/ogg.
>
> Is it possible to rectify the SMIL 3.0 specification while it's still
> on the Last Call stage?

Yes.  See below.

> Is it also possible to modify this section as to add another
> royalty-free format as either optional or required for user-agents to
> implement?  We would like to suggest support for the Speex[2][3] media
> format, as its speech-optimized qualities allow for many uses over the
> Web where human voice is required.
>
> Possibly, an entry like
> "the following royalty-free media formats are suggested to be supported:
> * Ogg Speex audio (audio/ogg)"
> may be included.

Again: yes.

To get this further, please submit this as an official Last Call Comment
(basically, add [SMIL30 LC comment] to your subject) and the working
group will have to consider your comments.

This is what the Last Call stage is for: people commenting on the draft.

Of course, I didn't say here that the WG *will* make any changes (nor
that they won't), but the WG will consider them when you make an
official comment.

> Thank you for your attention,
> Best regards,
>
> Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves
> Xiph.Org Foundation
>
> [1] http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions
> [2] http://speex.org/
> [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speex

--
Sjoerd Mullender

Re: Regarding section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 Language Profile ( LC-1788)

Thierry Michel

 Dear Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves ,

The SYMM Working Group has reviewed the comments you sent [1] on the Last
Call Working Draft [2] of the Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language
(SMIL 3.0) published on 13 Jul 2007. Thank you for having taken the time to
review the document and to send us comments!

The Working Group's response to your comment is included below.

Please review it carefully and let us know by email at [hidden email] if
you agree with it or not before 02 nov 2007. In case of disagreement, you
are requested to provide a specific solution for or a path to a consensus
with the Working Group. If such a consensus cannot be achieved, you will
be given the opportunity to raise a formal objection which will then be
reviewed by the Director during the transition of this document to the
next stage in the W3C Recommendation Track.

Thanks,

For the SYMM Working Group,
Thierry Michel
W3C Staff Contact

 1.
http://www.w3.org/mid/dc107ee70707300609w12b4a053r320d1225255b4f1@...
 2. http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/

=====

Your comment on 17.4.8 Media Object Modules:

> Greetings,
>
> Section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 specification
> states that Vorbis and Theora MIME types are application/ogg.  This is
> no longer the case, as the Xiph.Org Foundation has deemed necessary to
> change this to increase interoperability between the many hardware and
> software implementations that deal with its different formats.
>
> Per the MIME Types and File Extensions Recommendation[1], which is in
> the process of becoming a RFC, Theora MIME type is video/ogg and
> Vorbis MIME type is audio/ogg.
>
> Is it possible to rectify the SMIL 3.0 specification while it's still
> on the Last Call stage?
>
> Is it also possible to modify this section as to add another
> royalty-free format as either optional or required for user-agents to
> implement?  We would like to suggest support for the Speex[2][3] media
> format, as its speech-optimized qualities allow for many uses over the
> Web where human voice is required.
>
> Possibly, an entry like
> "the following royalty-free media formats are suggested to be
> supported:
> * Ogg Speex audio (audio/ogg)"
> may be included.
>

> Thank you for your attention,
> Best regards,
>
> Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves
> Xiph.Org Foundation
>
> [1] http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions
> [2] http://speex.org/
> [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speex

Working Group Resolution (LC-1788):
Although the Working Group is sympathetic to the idea of using the new
MIME types video/ogg and audio/ogg+vorbis, the SMIL specification cannot
use not-yet-registered MIME types.  The best we can do is say that
currently the MIME type is application/ogg and that it is expected to
change.

The Working Groups is also sympathetic to the idea and would like to push
the use of other free and unencumbered formats, but feels it goes too far
to list these in the recommendation.

----

Re: Regarding section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 Language Profile ( LC-1788)

Saoshyant
My apologies for the delay in the reply.

> Working Group Resolution (LC-1788):
> Although the Working Group is sympathetic to the idea of using the new
> MIME types video/ogg and audio/ogg, the SMIL specification cannot
> use not-yet-registered MIME types.  The best we can do is say that
> currently the MIME type is application/ogg and that it is expected to
> change.

That is appreciated.  Please state that application/ogg status "is
expected to change".

> The Working Groups is also sympathetic to the idea and would like to push
> the use of other free and unencumbered formats, but feels it goes too far
> to list these in the recommendation.

I accept this resolution.

Best regards,
Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves,
Xiph.Org Foundation

Re: Regarding section 17.4.8 Media Object Modules of the SMIL 3.0 Language Profile ( LC-1788)

Sjoerd Mullender-2
Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> My apologies for the delay in the reply.

>> Working Group Resolution (LC-1788):
>> Although the Working Group is sympathetic to the idea of using the new
>> MIME types video/ogg and audio/ogg, the SMIL specification cannot
>> use not-yet-registered MIME types.  The best we can do is say that
>> currently the MIME type is application/ogg and that it is expected to
>> change.
>
> That is appreciated.  Please state that application/ogg status "is
> expected to change".
The exact wording we used is:
"Note that the MIME type for Ogg Vorbis audio and Ogg Theora video
are listed as application/ogg.  The Xiph.org Foundation has decided
that it wants to change the MIME types of the various formats it
defines, so this MIME type may change in the future."

--
Sjoerd Mullender