Reading order required of the already Published Documents

Reading order required of the already Published Documents

P. Hemagiri

Hi,

I am Hemagiri, our company is planning to Research on ‘Content development for Mobile devices’. In our search towards this I have found the Initiative by w3c on DI very interesting. As there are many documents published already, I would like to know the reading order of the documents available in the site http://www.w3.org/2001/di/.

I have given an example of reading order as per my understanding below,

  1. Device Independence Home page

  1. Device Independence Principles

  1. Content Selection for Device Independence (DISelect)

  1. Authoring Challenges for Device Independence

  1. Authoring Techniques for Device Independence

  1. Learning xforms

Please suggest me the correct reading order. It will help us to achieve our goal faster.

Thanks in advance,

Hemagiri.

RE: Reading order required of the already Published Documents

Rhys Lewis

(resending to correct the copy list)

Hello,

Thanks very much for your mail. It’s always gratifying to find people interested in the work that we are doing.

Perhaps I can suggest a slightly different order for reading our documents.

  1. Device Independence Home Page and the linked Introduction to Device Independence
  2. Device Independence Principles
  3. Authoring Challenges for Device Independence
  4. Authoring Techniques for Device Independence

These first documents cover the background and the materials that have formed the basis for our work on new markup languages associated with authoring for device independence

  1. Device Independent Authoring Language (DIAL) (http://www.w3.org/TR/dial/)
  2. Content Selection for Device Independence

And finally the related materials

  1. XHTML Version 2 (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/)
  2. Learning XForms
  3. XForms 1.1 http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/

It’s worth noting that implementations of DIAL and DISelect are not widely available yet.

It is also worth looking at the W3C Mobile Web Initiative site (http://www.w3.org/Mobile/) and in particular at the Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group (http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/). There we have been constructing guidance for people creating mobile content using XHTML Mobile Profile (http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/). You may find this useful.

Very best wishes

Rhys Lewis, chair DIWG

RE: Reading order required of the already Published Documents

P. Hemagiri

Hi Rhys Lewis,

Thank you very much for your time in providing details.

Regards,

Hemagiri.

Thanks very much for your mail. It’s always gratifying to find people interested in the work that we are doing.

Perhaps I can suggest a slightly different order for reading our documents.

1.       Device Independence Home Page and the linked Introduction to Device Independence

2.       Device Independence Principles

3.       Authoring Challenges for Device Independence

4.       Authoring Techniques for Device Independence

These first documents cover the background and the materials that have formed the basis for our work on new markup languages associated with authoring for device independence

5.       Device Independent Authoring Language (DIAL) (http://www.w3.org/TR/dial/)

6.       Content Selection for Device Independence

And finally the related materials

7.       XHTML Version 2 (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/)

8.       Learning XForms

9.       XForms 1.1 http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/

[...]

o        http://www.w3.org/2001/di/

2.      Device Independence Principles

o        http://www.w3.org/TR/di-princ/

3.      Content Selection for Device Independence (DISelect)

o        http://www.w3.org/TR/cselection/

4.      Authoring Challenges for Device Independence

o        http://www.w3.org/TR/acdi/#diac-3.3

5.      Authoring Techniques for Device Independence

o        http://www.w3.org/TR/di-atdi/

6.      Learning xforms

o        http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/