ReSpec: highlighter and news

Marcos Caceres-5
Hi ReSpec users,
We are super excited to announce an update to ReSpec's syntax highlighter - coming in the next day or so. We are ditching the old google prettify and moving to "hljs" [1]. This is exciting because it brings support for ES2016 syntax,  performance improvements, smart language detection, and ongoing updates.

How does this impact you?

* pre elements will be highlighted by default (yay!). You can opt out totally by setting "noHighlightCSS: true," in your ReSpec config - or give an individual pre a "nohighlight" class.

* having a "highlight" class is now deprecated (it will generate a warning).

Other cool things we are releasing:

 * we've upgraded our markdown support: you can now use ``` to denote a code block, just like on GitHub.

* beatification of output. When you export (X)HTML for publication, ReSpec will try to beautify the generated code a bit for you (section tags will be nested, etc.).

We hope ❤️ like the updates! Any issues, please let us know.

The ReSpec Team
[1] https://highlightjs.org

Re: ReSpec: highlighter and news

Shane McCarron-6
Marcos,

Thanks for all your hard work on this!  (For the record, while I am on the 'team' I did basically none of this.)

As we move ahead, I wonder how people would feel about harmonizing the styles for things like example, issue, and webidl markup between ReSpec and bikeshed.  I think this would help solidify the brand.  I also think it would help if we just pushed those styles into the W3C base styles (at least when ReSpec is in W3C mode).

One comment:

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 8:36 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

* beatification of output. When you export (X)HTML for publication, ReSpec will try to beautify the generated code a bit for you (section tags will be nested, etc.).

I like that this is being 'beatified' - I had no idea you had a connection to the Pope!

Shane McCarron
Projects Manager, Spec-Ops

Re: ReSpec: highlighter and news

Michiel Bijl
Thanks for the effort, sounds really good!

—Michiel

> On 19 May 2016, at 15:36, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi ReSpec users,
> We are super excited to announce an update to ReSpec's syntax highlighter - coming in the next day or so. We are ditching the old google prettify and moving to "hljs" [1]. This is exciting because it brings support for ES2016 syntax,  performance improvements, smart language detection, and ongoing updates.
>
> How does this impact you?
>
> * pre elements will be highlighted by default (yay!). You can opt out totally by setting "noHighlightCSS: true," in your ReSpec config - or give an individual pre a "nohighlight" class.
>
> * having a "highlight" class is now deprecated (it will generate a warning).
>
> Other cool things we are releasing:
>
> * we've upgraded our markdown support: you can now use ``` to denote a code block, just like on GitHub.
>
> * beatification of output. When you export (X)HTML for publication, ReSpec will try to beautify the generated code a bit for you (section tags will be nested, etc.).
>
> We hope ❤️ like the updates! Any issues, please let us know.
>
> The ReSpec Team
> [1] https://highlightjs.org

RE: ReSpec: highlighter and news

Travis Leithead-2
Where might I find out more about how much Markdown support is currently available? I didn't see anything about it in the User's Guide or Reference docs...

> * we've upgraded our markdown support: you can now use ``` to denote a code block, just like on GitHub.
>
>We hope ❤️ like the updates! Any issues, please let us know.
>
>The ReSpec Team

Re: ReSpec: highlighter and news

Shane McCarron-6
I added an issue about this Travis: https://github.com/w3c/respec-docs/issues/45

The short answer is that there is support for markdown in general.  Do you mean which dialect(s)?

--
Shane McCarron
Projects Manager, Spec-Ops