Re: [xri] host-meta comments

Dirk Balfanz

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Breno de Medeiros <[hidden email]> wrote:
While /host-meta is intended to be parsed by machines and not human-readable content, it is often the case that users eyeball such content for clues. For instance:

1. Developer is writing and debugging a library to parse host-meta files.
2. Developer is looking at /host-meta examples to get clues on how to write one for his site.

Being able to add human-readable comments on site-meta can be useful for such tasks. It also helps to preserve 'institutional memory' by documentation in place, which is often the only one that developers can locate.

Should there be a simple mechanism for line comments in site-meta?

+1 for comments.

I propose that any line that starts with # (possibly preceded by whitespace) is a comment.

Dirk.

--
--Breno

+1 (650) 214-1007 desk
+1 (408) 212-0135 (Grand Central)
MTV-41-3 : 383-A
PST (GMT-8) / PDT(GMT-7)

Re: [xri] host-meta comments

Mark Nottingham-4

The problem is that this will make it impossible to use an existing
HTTP header parser (e.g., in Python, Perl, Ruby, whatever's standard
library), a goal that's guided a lot of the design.

Why not just use

Link: </foo>; rel="something"
Comment: This one is for you, Joe!
Link </bar>; rel="joes-link"